Author Topic: High end replacement coolant hoses  (Read 923 times)

Offline Mike

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
High end replacement coolant hoses
« on: March 18, 2019, 03:03:41 pm »
I'm in the market for a complete set of coolant hoses for my 2005 Concours. I know about getting OEM hoses from Murf's kits (good stuff, but really no better than what I already have). There is a company named "Samco" that makes high end silicone hoses for 2008 and newer Concours'. However, Samco's distributors have been in contact with me (see below)

"Hi Mike,

Many thanks for the message that you sent to SamcoSport, this has been passed onto us, Racebikebitz Ltd as their European distributor to answer.

Unfortunately we do not offer any hose kit for the earlier Concours models, only the 2008 onwards 1400cc models, sorry.

If we had enough demand from an owners club or internet forum, then we could certainly look into producing a kit, but we would require a minimum of 30 sales for it to be economically viable to do so.

If you require any further information, please let me know.

Best Regards
Bruce Hatton
Sales Manager | Racebikebitz"

The purpose of this post is to see if I can at least 29 other folks on board with me to make this happen, (Based on their current pricing I'm guessing a complete set will be about $200.00), I already sent this info to Murf's kits to find out if they have any interest. To be clear, I have no vested interest in any of these organizations, and don't stand to make any money from this, I'm Just trying to find a way to make these high end hoses available to those of us with older Connies...

Thanks,

Mike

Online DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
Re: High end replacement coolant hoses
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 03:26:08 pm »
I may be needing an overhaul too. The regular $60 hoses can last 15+ years. What is $200 bucks going to get me? Afterall these are just hoses and doesn't improve on performance in any way.

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 06:06:24 pm »
$200 in hoses for a $1500 bike.  If we were talking about an unobtanium item, you might talk me into it.  As long as stock hoses are available for a third of the price, I'll take the frugal choice.  A new set of OEM hoses IS better than what you have.  If that's not the case, then why replace them?  It will be interesting to see if you can find 29 other people that want to drop that kind of money on hoses.  Maybe you should ad a poll to this thread and see how it shakes out.   :popcorncouple:
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 06:22:15 pm »
 >:(

dammit.... Bud was reading my mind, before I pressed "send",  :nananana:
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :-[ :rotflmao:

I may be needing an overhaul too. The regular $60 hoses can last 15+ years. What is $200 bucks going to get me? Afterall these are just hoses and doesn't improve on performance in any way.

I kinda get the feeling it's a case of "I /need/want to spend some money...", more so than an actual "need for repair" of a faulty part, when I read something like "I'm in the market for a complete set of coolant hoses for my 2005 Concours. I know about getting OEM hoses from Murf's kits (good stuff, but really no better than what I already have). "
 :??:
Best of luck in asking Murph to stick out capitol $$$$, in hopes that someone will buy them all, when the pricing and profit would be prohibitive for him; Knowing Gary, he might "describe" it a bit differently, but only because he's got a business to run.  >:D :great: :great:

Also note; He has surely been badgered before, to carry the Samco kit for the C14, so the lack of that on his website might tell the tale a bit better...  :great:
Some C14 owners "will" fork out $300, for a set, but It's hard to imagine C10 owners, with bikes that they can't sell for $2k today, to pop 10% of that on something that will never come back in profit when sold.
Best of luck tho, you only need 29 more people, with a need to spend 3x more than needed, for a bike that will likely never need another hose set again, during it's "life" after an OEM is installed.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Online m in sc

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 06:36:22 pm »
have to agree. buy 2 oem sets, set one aside stored in a sealed bag in a dark, dry place,  and still have spares and 30 years of hose replacements on hand, and save money to boot. Im all for spending dumb money on useless crap for my bikes (just got some TI banjo bolts today for another bike) but even i have my limits.  :beerchug:

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 08:19:47 pm »
You replace hoses, get the Murph's hoses, and spend the extra coin on better hose clamps.
Still save a bunch of money, and you solve the only issue you have after you replace the hoses.
Them darn clamps loosening up.
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators, Fork Brace - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 08:40:50 pm »
>:(

dammit.... Bud was reading my mind, before I pressed "send",  :nananana:
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :-[ :rotflmao:

I kinda get the feeling it's a case of "I /need/want to spend some money...", more so than an actual "need for repair" of a faulty part, when I read something like "I'm in the market for a complete set of coolant hoses for my 2005 Concours. I know about getting OEM hoses from Murf's kits (good stuff, but really no better than what I already have). "
Best of luck in asking Murph to stick out capitol $$$$, in hopes that someone will buy them all, when the pricing and profit would be prohibitive for him; Knowing Gary, he might "describe" it a bit differently, but only because he's got a business to run.  >:D :great: :great:

Also note; He has surely been badgered before, to carry the Samco kit for the C14, so the lack of that on his website might tell the tale a bit better...  :great:
Some C14 owners "will" fork out $300, for a set, but It's hard to imagine C10 owners, with bikes that they can't sell for $2k today, to pop 10% of that on something that will never come back in profit when sold.
Best of luck tho, you only need 29 more people, with a need to spend 3x more than needed, for a bike that will likely never need another hose set again, during it's "life" after an OEM is installed.
I hate it when that happens!   :nananana: :nananana: :rotflmao:
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 08:45:27 pm »
Well... It's not like he's trying to get the KLR-ista to buy in. That would be quite the feat to accomplish.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline kkja13

• Mini Bike
  • Tyler, TX
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 10:08:33 pm »
No thanks.
2004 C10
2003 Suzuki SV650s
2000 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 (75mpg!)
1993 Suzuki DR350; 1984 Honda XR200R (RFVC); 1985 Yamaha PW80; 1975 Yamaha DT175;
1974 Honda ST90; 1973 Honda Z50 (first bike, still runs)

Offline Mike

• Big Wheels
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 10:12:55 pm »
No I don't need to spend some money, or other stupid nonsense, just thought I could reach riders who might be interested in something different, and far better than stock. But I guess this ain't the place for that... Should have known better, not to worry I won't be back!!!

And thanks for the warm welcome...........

Online DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 10:47:20 pm »
Don't be upset. They are just all old and cranky.

We understand you want the Samco hoses. That is perfectly fine. If you tell us HOW the hoses are far better than stock then more people might want to invest so you all can get the hoses ordered.

But as I/we see it regular hoses last 15+ years, add no performance/life value so why spend more money? Not like buying tires or brake pads. It is just a first world problem.

Online m in sc

• Road Bike
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 10:51:01 pm »
yeah, they aren't any better performing, that's for sure., they really give zero benefit on the concours. On an off road bike where impacts and crashes happen, different story. they take a beating pretty good.  They have their place, but not on this bike IMHO

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 10:57:39 pm »
Don't be upset. They are just all old and cranky.

We understand you want the Samco hoses. That is perfectly fine. If you tell us HOW the hoses are far better than stock then more people might want to invest so you all can get the hoses ordered.

But as I/we see it regular hoses last 15+ years, add no performance/life value so why spend more money? Not like buying tires or brake pads. It is just a first world problem.
I ain't cranky!  I'm frugal. :nananana: :nananana: ;D  That's what codgers eh I mean Coggers are. :rotflmao:
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 11:18:53 pm »
I'm just cheap....
can't help it.

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :You_Rock_Emoticon: :You_Rock_Emoticon: :confuse: :a012:

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 11:27:25 pm »
Where's Ted when you need'm.  Teeeeeeeeeeeeeeddddddddddd!!! ;D
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline Nosmo

• Sport Tourer
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 12:36:47 am »
I just did mine about a year ago, so I'm good for the practical life of my 2003 bike, (and probably me).  :motonoises:
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Online Brian

• Scooter
  • COG#: 6374
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 01:43:22 am »
The man was simply presenting an option for replacement hoses for his bike and offering to arrange a group buy.

So what happens, instead of just suggesting other options or offering up a thanks for the offer and then moving on some of you decided to take a backhand shot at his post and insult the man.  Believe me, it does not matter how many smiley faces you put in your post - a shot is a shot.

As an Assistant Area Director, I feel my responsibilities are to make people welcome and perhaps want to be a part of our organization. I doubt it will do any good, but I was embarrassed by the way he was treated and sent him my apologies.
The Other Brian in Minnesota
2010 Yamaha FJR

Offline bajasam

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 03:20:15 am »
By the way Mike, you can become a member of this friendly forum for only 40 bucks a year and feel the warmth all year.

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 10:44:50 am »
Frankly, I'm of the opinion that MOB was 100% correct. Who would want to spend more than 10% of the value of their motorcycle on a part that: is virtually unable to be seen, offers ZERO performance benefit, provides questionably longer life over OEM?  Had he spent 10 minutes actually researching COG he would've seen that the guys riding C10s are riding them because you don't have to spend that kind of money on them.

MOB simply stated what most all of us were thinking. Sounds to me like he's the only one brave enough to point out the obvious and poor little Mike got his feelings hurt. SHEESH! ::) :-[
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Online Brian

• Scooter
  • COG#: 6374
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 11:29:43 am »
Frankly, I'm of the opinion that MOB was 100% correct. Who would want to spend more than 10% of the value of their motorcycle on a part that: is virtually unable to be seen, offers ZERO performance benefit, provides questionably longer life over OEM?  Had he spent 10 minutes actually researching COG he would've seen that the guys riding C10s are riding them because you don't have to spend that kind of money on them.

MOB simply stated what most all of us were thinking. Sounds to me like he's the only one brave enough to point out the obvious and poor little Mike got his feelings hurt. SHEESH! ::) :-[

We will have to agree to disagree on this.

All the guy did was present an idea. He did not deserver the responses he received.  As I said in my post I apologize to him in a PM which he surprisingly responded to by thanking me and saying that he was moving on and would not be back.  Is this the way we want to treat potential members?
The Other Brian in Minnesota
2010 Yamaha FJR

Offline MotoCommuter

• Kurt Brown - SE AAD GA
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7115
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 12:45:12 pm »
No I don't need to spend some money, or other stupid nonsense, just thought I could reach riders who might be interested in something different, and far better than stock. But I guess this ain't the place for that... Should have known better, not to worry I won't be back!!!

And thanks for the warm welcome...........

So, your first post is to to suggest high end hoses for the C10 that would cost $200 but get mad when others don't agree with you?

How about introducing your self and tell us about your bike? How about getting to know some of those that responded to your post before you pass judgement on them? I will admit that some of the respondents are not the warm and fuzzy types and are probably old curmudgeons. But they probably know more about the C10 then mama Kaw does.

But I will agree with them, that the stock hoses will serve you just fine unless you can point out some significant benefit for the higher end ones. The only one I would be willing to pay extra for would be that short little one on the front bottom behind the headers, that little sucker seems to be the one to always fail.

TCARS
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 04:56:31 pm by MotoCommuter »
Beat The Summer Heat: Jun 28-30
Run With The Wolf: Sep 5-8
Barber Vintage Festival: Oct 3 - 6
If it's not fun, why do it?

Online m in sc

• Road Bike
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 01:24:50 pm »

We will have to agree to disagree on this.

All the guy did was present an idea. He did not deserver the responses he received.  As I said in my post I apologize to him in a PM which he surprisingly responded to by thanking me and saying that he was moving on and would not be back.  Is this the way we want to treat potential members?

but its ok to have that cranky attitude and snarky response to 'old'  members?. me thinks that's a double standard. Allowed -here- but not -there-.
Hey, the guy asked for feeedback, he got it, took his ball and went home. He got plenty of legit answers , actually all of them were. (by the standard of this place) :beerchug:

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 04:03:53 pm »
The man was simply presenting an option for replacement hoses for his bike and offering to arrange a group buy.

So what happens, instead of just suggesting other options or offering up a thanks for the offer and then moving on some of you decided to take a backhand shot at his post and insult the man.  Believe me, it does not matter how many smiley faces you put in your post - a shot is a shot.

As an Assistant Area Director, I feel my responsibilities are to make people welcome and perhaps want to be a part of our organization. I doubt it will do any good, but I was embarrassed by the way he was treated and sent him my apologies.

No one was rude.  I've read every post, and none of them attacked the OP.

Perhaps the fact there was no interest, and people explained their reasons
was offensive?  That is the purpose of a forum.

The guy tried, there was no interest, he expressed he wasn't happy about it, he left.
Some would say "Should've known better...." was potentially flame baiting and reported it.

You have to ask yourself, "How many members would trust someone holding
a group buy on their first post?"  Especially for $200 a pop.  Sorry, but regardless
of how genuine "Mike" was, and I'm sure he was, it's a lot to ask on a 1st post.

Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators, Fork Brace - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 04:28:28 pm »
I'd be really interested to hear/read any responses he gets in any other "Concours" forum. If he gets his feelings hurt from what was said here, he doesn't belong on the internet.. ::)
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 06:28:37 pm »
http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-c10-zg1000-general-chat-and-tech/coolant-system-upgrade/msg146502/#msg146502

I suppose I could have simply posted a "link", particularly the one above; and offered nothing in response giving any semblance of some of the discussions I have encountered and been involved in about those hoses over the last 10 years.. not specifically online here, but face to face with members, and people, at various venues, during conversations.

Yes, it has been discussed, many times, but just because it isn't all "online", doesn't mean the "opinions" I listed, were not given during those discussions.

I'll take this moment to apologize also, to Mike, as he has been a forum member for 2+ years, unfortunately he has not taken opportunities to become active in any discussions prior to this point.
The only "snarky" comment I see, was from someone that likes to intentionally provoke. Discussion about something is different than an interjection of discord only.

By the way Mike, you can become a member of this friendly forum for only 40 bucks a year and feel the warmth all year.[/size]

I'm going for a cup of tea, while the 2 AAD's discuss it further...

Maybe when Mike comes back, (he never really left yet), he will see we are all human...( most of us anyway), and decide to stick around, for free, as it's an option, and further his knowledge and participate... nobody is saying you have to pay for that.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 08:37:32 pm by MAN OF BLUES »