Author Topic: Highway pegs 99 concours  (Read 379 times)

Offline The ice man

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12605
  • Membership Level: Active
Highway pegs 99 concours
« on: October 06, 2017, 12:39:27 pm »
 I am considering buying highway pegs. I noticed Murph's sells a highway peg kit. I also noticed in the tech pages there is an article about  highway pegs. I would like to hear comments from anyone has highway pegs? My knees ache and I need to stop and walk around every 30 minutes of riding. I hope that highway pegs would allow me to extent my legs and make  my ride  more comfortable? If I drop the bike at highway speeds could the highway pegs cause engine damage? 

Offline Mettler1

• Sport Tourer
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
Re: Highway pegs 99 concours
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 08:00:40 pm »
  I got Murphs' Knee savers long time ago and they took care of my knee discomfort.  :)
https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_90&products_id=143

If you are looking for even a longer stretch you need some pegs out by the fairing vents.
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline The Wizard

• Been riding since I was 9 yrs.old.getting to be old fart.
  • Crotch Rocket
  • 'match need with source(used parts)'
    • have a need find a source/parts are parts
  • COG#: 11328
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 08:18:38 pm »
Hello,The Wizard here with Murphs peg lowerers available for sale with the larger Gold Wing pegs.PM me if interested.                                                                  The Wizard(match need with source,used parts)
1964 Honda 55,1971 Honda CL 100,numerous Honda 350 twins,1971 Honda CL 450,1974 Honda CB 750(stolen),1971 Moto Guzzi Ambasador/Velorex sidecar,1975 Kawasaki Z1B
1976 Honda Goldwing (fully dressed)1973 Honda CB 450,1982 Yamaha Virago 750
1977 BMW R100/7(full dress) later Velorex sidecar mounted,1978 Yamaha XS750,1987 BMW K100RS
1996 Honda shadow 1100 ace,2000 Kawasaki Concours,1998,99,98,98+88,90+99 Concours for resurrection           CDA#540

Offline The ice man

• Bicycle
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 09:01:29 pm »
  I got Murphs' Knee savers long time ago and they took care of my knee discomfort.  :)
https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_90&products_id=143

If you are looking for even a longer stretch you need some pegs out by the fairing vents.

I have looked at the knee savers from murph's. I wouldn't think they would help much, but I guess they do,because I have heard that they are a good thing to have. I would think highway pegs would be a better choice but I have not used either one so I don't really know. I would think if you are going to use highway pegs you would want to run with the lower fairings removed  so you would have room for your legs.

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 09:57:51 am »
The knee savers make a lot of difference - worth a try.

You can use highway pegs without removing midfairings.
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830 - - C10 Stuff For Sale - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline KLRPhil

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 10:13:41 am »
I am considering buying highway pegs. I noticed Murph's sells a highway peg kit. I also noticed in the tech pages there is an article about  highway pegs. I would like to hear comments from anyone has highway pegs? My knees ache and I need to stop and walk around every 30 minutes of riding. I hope that highway pegs would allow me to extent my legs and make  my ride  more comfortable? If I drop the bike at highway speeds could the highway pegs cause engine damage?
I installed the KB hwy pegs from Murphs kits on my '06 Connie and can recommend them. At 6 ft with a 33" inseam, they help a lot on longer rides.  Something tells me that "If I drop the bike at highway speeds..." engine damage from the highway pegs will be the least of my concerns!
My Connie followed me home after the test ride...

Offline mr t

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 7173
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 12:10:54 pm »
I've also installed the KB highway pegs on my 06, and they make it possible to do 600+ mile days with a minimum of discomfort.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Offline The ice man

• Bicycle
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 03:53:53 pm »
I've also installed the KB highway pegs on my 06, and they make it possible to do 600+ mile days with a minimum of discomfort.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

I can only go about  30 miles before my knees ache and I stop to walk a little. At this rate it would take forever to get 600 miles. Can you get your legs around the fairing ok? Is there a possibility that serious engine damage would result if you dropped the bike?

Offline KLRPhil

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 06:43:34 pm »

Tom Taylor COG#7173

I can only go about  30 miles before my knees ache and I stop to walk a little. At this rate it would take forever to get 600 miles. Can you get your legs around the fairing ok? Is there a possibility that serious engine damage would result if you dropped the bike?
  Yep - no problem getting legs around the fairing.  I don't keep my legs on the hwy pegs for extended periods - especially when travelling at illegally high speeds, for aerodynamic reasons.  It is nice to have the option to stretch ones legs, however, and so I alternate pretty frequently from the regular pegs to the hwy pegs and even to the passenger pegs sometimes.  I've can go a couple of hundred miles easily, without feeling the need to stop due to leg fatigue.  I don't think there would be substantial damage to the engine due to the highway pegs were the bike to fall over.  The 'standoff bolt' and 'offset arm' are made of aluminum - they would probably snap or bend.  Hope that helps.
My Connie followed me home after the test ride...

Offline david

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 09:06:16 pm »
were able to adjust your brake peddle down enough. i would like my pedal to be level with the foot peg