Author Topic: HOT  (Read 1031 times)

Offline david

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
HOT
« on: May 17, 2019, 09:35:14 pm »
Guys you all helped me with my carbs, my seat, my bar risers,  but I have a new problem.       Ridding this bike in the Alabama heat is like nothing I’ve ever rode,    It’s like ridding in a sauna.     Is this normal

Offline oldsmoboat

• Road Bike
  • 2004 C10
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11969
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: HOT
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 10:26:46 pm »
Yep

Got me wondering though, is the C14 as hot as the C10 on a 100 degree day in traffic?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 10:32:28 pm by oldsmoboat »

Offline david

• Bicycle
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 10:51:06 pm »
It’s like ridding a old fashion space heater, that blocks all the wind

Offline oldsmoboat

• Road Bike
  • 2004 C10
  • COG#: 11969
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 11:02:21 pm »
It's why I put tip over bars on mine with highway pegs.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 11:57:31 pm »
Guys you all helped me with my carbs, my seat, my bar risers,  but I have a new problem.       Ridding this bike in the Alabama heat is like nothing I’ve ever rode,    It’s like ridding in a sauna.     Is this normal

Same over here in GA.  Baker Bilt Air Wings helped me on my 2000. There's upper and lower versions. This is the lower https://bakerbuiltairwings.com/proddetail.php?prod=LCONAW

This is the upper  https://bakerbuiltairwings.com/proddetail.php?prod=CONAW

Turn them out in the winter, in for summer. Really helps. At least get the upper and wear long pants and boots without the lower.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 05:20:41 am »
I never thought these bikes are that hot. Only when the fans are on do I feel it on my shins.

Sisf has/had some C10 heat shields on his site. I don't recommend blocking the airflow because these engines don't have much flow to begin with.

Offline danodemotoman

• Sport Tourer
  • Yo Ho, Yo HO, it's a bikers life for me!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 2877
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 06:28:42 am »
 I always suffered with the engine heat until I used the heat shields. Big difference and had no effect on the carb performance.
 Used these and continue now before you could buy them. Ribbed vinyl hallway runner material from Home Depot.

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 06:34:33 am »
How does all the heat escape?

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into an FJR !!!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7055
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 09:54:21 am »
There are little things that help. I ran the coolant cocktail, had some gold wind air vents, and drilled holes in the small cover at the bottom of the cowling behind the front wheel. I also had the Spoofak oil filter adaptor which allowed more air to circulate around the oil filter. And yes it did make a huge difference in the heat. My temp gauge rarely went past the first line past cold.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline JPD

• Moped
  • COG#: 12064
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 12:21:00 pm »
Yes it can be warm. it uses a water cooled engine and that heat must be vented somewhere. The engine doesn't have cooling fins so airflow over the engine does very little to cool it. The heat comes out the large holes in the side fairings so onto your legs and feet. Boots and long riding pants help block a lot of the heat from contacting your skin. That big fairing that blocks the wind and keeps you in a still pocket of air also prevents that air from cooling you. Once again proper clothing can help. There are many different schools of thought on what is best. I will leave that to you.

Your car is water cooled also. The heater is using the hot water that cools the engine. Think how hot the inside of the car would be if you ran the heater on high with the windows closed in the summer.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 03:23:55 pm »
I live in Flowriduh. The one mod that helped the most to mitigate the heat was the upper Baker type air wings. Bonus was the cold weather and rain protection when deployed for those conditions.

The 2fast shields also helped, unfortunately no longer available. They were an elegant solution that the vinyl runner also works well for.

Note to 2fast, hang tough.

I also had a summer windshield that was trimmed down severely, a good use for the pretty much worthless OEM shield.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline danodemotoman

• Sport Tourer
  • Yo Ho, Yo HO, it's a bikers life for me!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 2877
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 05:20:32 pm »
 It (the heat normally hitting the  leg thigh area and crotch instead flows to the center rear. Never an issue with the engine temp or carburetors operations.
  I use the Baker air wings upper and lower and make sure the seal is in place above the radiator.
 The heat shields made the most difference. I take them off in fall and winter as want the heat then mid Spring (now!) I need to re install.

How does all the heat escape?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2019, 09:22:26 pm »
as I have always worn shin high m/c boots, and an aerostich, I really never noticed the "leg heat", but the first gen C14's did tend to blast a bit more than the C10, re-installing the rubber lower baffles correctly went a long way to help on the C14. as for the C10, meh, sitting in traffic anytime was hot... part of riding... ;)

a little tidbit tho...
those black lower "scoops" can be "reversed", between winter and summer mode... when reversing them, it does make a difference... BUT, when you do this, you have to also reverse which side they mount on, the r/h one gets inverted, and installed on the l/h side, and vice versa...  does make a difference tho.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 09:29:04 pm »
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 10:06:04 pm »
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

just have to laugh, and interject something from my youth...

when I was drag racing my KZ, (which I still have), and doing "tuning" on it, being an aircooled engine I never really thought about "heat";  and one day, during a in garage tune event, that lasted about 20 minutes, I heard a "hiss"..... I shut the bike down, and opened the fuel cap, and looked inside... the gasoline was actually BOILING.... OMG... I freaked...

I went out and bought 6 window fans, and made a "duct" to use cooling the bike for tuning sessions... made tuning much more "consistant".... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :motonoises: :great:

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 12:11:47 am »
How does the top radiator heat shield under the tank factor into the overall heat issue? Do we even need that shield? I am always confused as to its purpose.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2019, 12:17:22 am »
I think the top piece directs the air so that more air goes thru the radiator, and it also prevents some of the heat from going over the top of the engine, and hitting the rider.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7653
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2019, 02:37:47 am »
as I have always worn shin high m/c boots, and an aerostich, I really never noticed the "leg heat", but the first gen C14's did tend to blast a bit more than the C10, re-installing the rubber lower baffles correctly went a long way to help on the C14. as for the C10, meh, sitting in traffic anytime was hot... part of riding... ;)

a little tidbit tho...
those black lower "scoops" can be "reversed", between winter and summer mode... when reversing them, it does make a difference... BUT, when you do this, you have to also reverse which side they mount on, the r/h one gets inverted, and installed on the l/h side, and vice versa...  does make a difference tho.

Having come off a C-10 at speed with only jeans that made permanent damage to my knees, I do understand the difference between just jeans on a Connie and something else.
Since Aerostich doesn't make women's gear (they say they do but that's BS), and because women's jeans or riding pants with armor are nonexistent in the right length and size for me, I wear regular jeans with dirt bike knee armor underneath.

I tried to ride my C-10 without the armor and found the heat just awful. But with those knee guards, it doesn't cook my shins.

The same armor that keeps the wind chill off my legs in winter, keeps them cooler in summer. Might be worth a try, even if you get the widely-available armored pants or jeans for dudes.
Jenn in "Chaahlston, y'all...."

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019, 10:33:43 am »

a little tidbit tho...

Having come off a C-10 at speed with only jeans that made permanent damage to my knees, I do understand the difference between just jeans on a Connie and something else.
Since Aerostich doesn't make women's gear (they say they do but that's BS), and because women's jeans or riding pants with armor are nonexistent in the right length and size for me, I wear regular jeans with dirt bike knee armor underneath.

I tried to ride my C-10 without the armor and found the heat just awful. But with those knee guards, it doesn't cook my shins.

The same armor that keeps the wind chill off my legs in winter, keeps them cooler in summer. Might be worth a try, even if you get the widely-available armored pants or jeans for dudes.
https://www.bohnarmor.com/product/all-season-adventure-armored-riding-pants/
This is good stuff.  Armor in knees and shins, thighs, hips and tail bone.  Comfortable under jeans.  I've even worn them under my aerostich.  The pants are form fitting and hold the armor close to your body.  Pants come in mesh, all season or cold weather.  They have shirts as well.  MOB and Jenn are right about blocking heat with riding gear.  It does make a difference.  The link I posted earlier for the vent flaps makes a difference as well, but only when you get over 35 or 40.  One reason I'd have a hard time selling my C10 is because it really shines in cooler weather, besides the fact it's been the most reliable bike I've ever owned.  All the suggestions are good ones.  All you have to do is try to implement the ideas you've been given.  HTH
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline bajasam

• Scooter
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2019, 02:41:18 pm »
Here's another option.
http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c10/vent-flaps-for-engine-heat/
go to the thread Bud showed and read up on the little deflector DaveSv engineered. their cheap easy to make and the overall best mod i did to my bike.i just used 10 bucks worth of lexan from Homedepot. I can comfortably ride in shorts in the 100+ degree az summer heat, only gets warm when stopped at lights etc and i dont ride in the city so no stoplights for me.

Offline david

• Bicycle
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2019, 03:46:50 pm »
Ok good stuff.  I’m going to work on the air vents,   Allso I have a riffle windscreen so I’m going to look for a shorter summer screen,     Latley I’ve been just ridding with my legs spread like a 60yr old bleach blonde at a kiss concert,   

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2019, 05:32:46 pm »
I believe there have been rifle users that crafted their own windshield from a piece of plexiglass or something similar.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2019, 06:21:15 pm »
Ok good stuff.  I’m going to work on the air vents,   Allso I have a riffle windscreen so I’m going to look for a shorter summer screen,     Latley I’ve been just ridding with my legs spread like a 60yr old bleach blonde at a kiss concert,

:beerchug: :beerchug: :)) :)) :)) :)) :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

whatever works for you... now I have to try to erase that image from my mind....
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline m in sc

• Road Bike
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2019, 12:37:32 am »
How does the top radiator heat shield under the tank factor into the overall heat issue? Do we even need that shield? I am always confused as to its purpose.
yes, if you remove it or its not sitting right,. the air from the radiator comes over the motor and cooks you.  that was the fix on mine. i put some foam tape around the sealing points after i -finally- got it secured in right and its fine for me. 

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7653
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2019, 02:35:55 am »

https://www.bohnarmor.com/product/all-season-adventure-armored-riding-pants/
This is good stuff.  Armor in knees and shins, thighs, hips and tail bone.  Comfortable under jeans.  I've even worn them under my aerostich.  The pants are form fitting and hold the armor close to your body.  Pants come in mesh, all season or cold weather.  They have shirts as well.  MOB and Jenn are right about blocking heat with riding gear.  It does make a difference.   HTH

Dang I like that!!!
Us gals who ride in summer gotta be able to wash gear even when laundry machines aren't available. A mesh setup can launder in the sink in a few minutes and be ready to go next morning!
Jenn in "Chaahlston, y'all...."