Author Topic: How Come The C10 Isn't A Young Rider Cult Yet?  (Read 4338 times)

Offline MizzouMike

• Crotch Rocket
  • "I'm like a rain magnet"
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 8862
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: How Come The C10 Isn't A Young Rider Cult Yet?
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2016, 12:28:40 pm »
I recently changed jobs, and subsequently went from the young guys at work, to the old guy at work in the matter of a week.  Personally, I am very impressed with the majority of my millenial co-workers.  I really appeciate your insight ZX6Rob.  I ride with a gal who has a newer KLR650, and a guy who also has a ZX6.   They looked at my old C-10 as a dinosaur, but they appreciated it none the less.

Thanks for the insight Rob!
2014 BMW R1200GS
2013 HD Ultra Classic "Queen B"
AMA, COG, IBA

Offline beaucephus

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12214
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2016, 01:36:08 pm »
Nerd bike.  Had to be 36 to not care.  The millennials (don't call me one) are very image conscious.  If it doesn't make for good selfies, forget about it.  I'm sure there are exceptions, but I bet they look a lot like me and already gave up on being cool.  I think this is also a more safety conscious generation.

Of course this begs the question of why the hipsters haven't started riding them because they aren't cool.

Offline Thud300

• Taking the long way everywhere
  • Street Cruiser
  • my YouTube channel: "ToastRider"
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2016, 04:50:30 pm »
It's hard to do wheelies and stoppies on a big shafty
Returning old Kawis to riding glory since 2014
1998 Concours "Connimus Prime"  CDA #555
1991 Voyager XII "Xaviera"
1989 454 LTD "Merlin"

Offline rick

• Scooter
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2016, 04:52:01 pm »
I got my first C10 when I was 29 and I will always have one.  It is true that the bike doesn't have that "cool factor" for impressing non riders.  An old sport tourer is not a chick magnet or an ego booster.  Almost all riders I talk to respect the C10 for its capability and value.  It is just a good cheap bike that will run forever if you take care of it.  That's about as cool as it gets in my book.  It's also pretty nice to be able to do almost all of your grocery shopping on your bike.  That being said, I never considered a bike with bags until I had no car.  Something like a Connie is probably not on the radar of most young riders unless their situation demands it.
Kevin

Truer words have never been spoken.  Well said.

Offline Gawernator

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2018, 08:21:01 am »
I just turned 25..., and am a road racer, probably nobody expects someone like me to own one!  :beerchug:  but I'm finding myself very interested lately.... I want to get one soon possibly.

"But yet, the cult thing would be that they are cool specifically because they are so un-cool."   :D exactly...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 08:40:16 am by Gawernator »

Offline Boomer

• Crotch Rocket
  • Me dwarfing Vivian
    • Boomers GTR Site
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2018, 08:52:27 pm »
I love blowing past younger riders on their designer sportsbikes and cafe racers, and I enjoy their surprise when I pull my lid off and they see the grey hair. Old guy on an old guys bike,... but faster than you :D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK
CDA-007

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2018, 09:10:46 pm »
I love blowing past younger riders on their designer sportsbikes and cafe racers, and I enjoy their surprise when I pull my lid off and they see the grey hair. Old guy on an old guys bike,... but faster than you :D

I turn 30 soon, and have been riding a C10 for 6 years. I too enjoy blowing past people, of any machine, with my vintage girl. This old goose can still honk!
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline Gawernator

• Tricycle
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2018, 10:37:18 pm »

I raced a ninja 250 last year. So I understand that feeling 😂😂

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2018, 05:52:51 pm »

Once young people realize that there is a big country out there and for $1500.00 you can explore it in comfort, freedom and a great view maybe the C10 will catch on.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Bicycle
  • Every day starts as a 10 when I wake up breathing
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2018, 08:19:28 am »
This is all true, and realistic.  Reality dictates though, most younger people are locked up in a daily struggle to just get bills payed, and  go have some fun as quickly as possible.  Just getting my Crysis (connie) out of my car port is quite a task, and avoiding  dropping her on my un-even, gravel , mountain side driveway is a daily undertaking.  I don't have many younger friends that could pull it off on a daily basis without accidental spills, before they even get on the thing.  Handling in parking lots, steep gravel drives, kick stand sinking in the ground, etc. etc.  Who wants to deal with it? 
  One has to admit; This bike is not convenient  for quick jaunts.  Heaven forbid you accidentally come to a dead end on a graveled, narrow mountain trail to the lake, on a steep hillside.   Connies are a beast to maneuver, that is the problem.  The seat is too high, the weight is too much.  Its as wide as a truck! If you consider your body leaning against it , pressing it with all your might over the slightest pothole in the turn about.  Forgetting to back into a parking space is a most embarrassing thing too! If there is any slope in the parking lot.
  Hell,, I didn't even want a Connie, it was thrown at me, as I was searching for a bike for my oldest daughter.  I wanted an enduro.  But all this bike for 1200?  I was just wise enough at age 51 to realize I'd be saving 30 bucks a week in gas and can carry all my tools to work.  I don't regret buying it,, but the need for a bike I can ride to a place to "really ride" (code for crash) is still in my sights.   I've been riding a CB 400 on and off road for 3 years now, love the thing.  I put an enduro tire on the back and ride it along horse trails and walking/ animal  paths.  Connie's limited turning radius is scary, her weight and height intimidating.  There is no chance of bright young people committing  to the hazards and limitations of Connie.  I may be 51, but I look, feel and play like I'm still 20 or 30.  I know there are many bikes out there much better suited for my lifestyle.  But I am unwilling to work that hard to pay, or even go out of my way to find them.  The youth still have the ambition necessary to chase that dream.  I personally, never dreamed I'd be loving this monstrous beast I now call Crysis.
So this is a life?  Lets have some fun!
1992 c10 74k miles,  black w/ red stripe
carbon fiber slip ons, rifle wind screen
custom Corbin seat (flip down passenger back rest)
cruise control, maybe more, still researching

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2018, 11:14:50 am »
That large turning radius almost bit me my first time riding the c-10. I was in the dealer parking lot and had just mounted up to go for a test ride. I went for a sharp turn and found the turning stop quite unexpectedly. Close call.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Bicycle
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2018, 04:46:21 am »
That large turning radius almost bit me my first time riding the c-10. I was in the dealer parking lot and had just mounted up to go for a test ride. I went for a sharp turn and found the turning stop quite unexpectedly. Close call.

Yes,, I deal with it every day in my driveway.  Makes we wonder why they did that?  Seems there is enough room in the faring to allow another inch of steering .  Anyone know why the stops are so tight?  LOL, or if they can be trimmed ?  :D

Offline Captsparrow

• Tricycle
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2018, 05:01:38 am »
I lived the 80's so, this bike gives me my youth back many times in a certain way. I couldn't afford it then but, living with it now and enjoying every minute of it.

Offline bajasam

• Bicycle
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2018, 01:31:07 am »
I lived the 80's so, this bike gives me my youth back many times in a certain way. I couldn't afford it then but, living with it now and enjoying every minute of it.
boy, ain't that the truth, back in the day i bought a brand new cb350 for 810 bucks and thought i was king of the hill, this bike gives same excitement for what is now pocket change(almost).

Offline Derick

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2018, 04:04:21 am »
I always wondered the same thing. I'd be ok with a 30-40s rider following. I've been riding a connie since I was 27, and I'm 38 now. I NEVER understood why it didnt get much of a young person following. If you're tall, and want to travel...there is no better bike (at the time at least.) I have a goldwing, and I feel the same way about it. There are like ZERO people under 50 riding wings...why?! One of the thoughts is the cost...only baby boomer retirees can afford one. The connie doesnt have that issue though lol.

Anyhow, yeah I dont know why it seems to be an old guy bike. I love mine, always will, especially since its not worth crap. No sense in selling it.
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Offline Lee

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 12558
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2018, 03:59:42 pm »
Slightly off topic. As to C10's looks.

Many a time I get cat calls from young women across parking lots about how they like my 87 Concours. As I am 65 years and 295lbs, it certainly is not me, he he. Connie even got me a Waffle House waitresses phone number once saying she loved to ride. Sad to say I did not follow up.

As well many a young man has come up to with compliments on the C10 and to ask questions. When they find out the bike is older than themselves. Well, drop jawed, is a descriptor oft played out over and over.

Would have to surmise a Connie's sex appeal even if 80's standards is still relevant today.

Suspect the real issue is motorcycles are skill intensive and not for faint of heart. I have ridden more than 5o plus years now. Few people ride that long as their lifestyle eventually comes into conflict with the practice. Makes for a difficult practice to start also.

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12666
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2018, 04:36:30 pm »
Is am going to say it is because the younger generation has not yet acquired the knowledge and wisdom that is only comes with age.  ;)  There is some wisdom that can only be gained through experience  :motonoises:
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline Derick

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2018, 01:38:08 am »
I think also that this younger generation doesn't travel via motorcycle nearly as much. I have no data to back my claim, but I have tried to reach out to the community in several different ways and they just dont want to tour on  motorcycles anymore. I rode to colorado when I was 29 and had been doing regional trips for years prior to that...so I guess I'm an exception to the norm, which sucks. I wanted to find some folks in my demographic to ride with.
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Online Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2018, 01:26:40 am »
I think also that this younger generation doesn't travel via motorcycle nearly as much.

Especially long hauls, which is what the Connie excels at...  Having to text, facetime, tweet and selfie
regularly makes the motorcycle a less than perfect choice.  Then there's the chance of getting wet,
the lack of A/C, the abundance of heat.  I have to admit... I think I typed myself out of riding...  :D    :D

Nah...  J/K!
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators, Fork Brace - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2018, 12:12:36 pm »
Just a little inspiration from Rev.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKHrObHWVIA

« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 12:15:41 pm by Bud »
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2018, 12:16:21 pm »
 >:D
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into an FJR !!!
  • COG#: 7055
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2018, 12:28:13 pm »
The bottom line here is this. While all of the retro wannabes are lubing tbeir chains, and the Harley guys are hauling their bikes back and forth to the shop, and the sportbike dudes are waiting for their replacement plastic parts to be delivered, the C-10 is ready to ride. C-10's are like the Energizer bunny.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2018, 04:31:36 pm »
It’s just too practical...

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2018, 09:44:29 pm »
Simple: No screen 
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Bicycle
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2018, 03:58:10 am »
seriously though.  I am 51 yo,  a martial arts instructor, have had the full splits since age 16, still do.  I am a builder, I run (now days ) a mile in 6 minutes if pressed to hurry, 7 if just relaxing. I can do 100 pushups in one attempt, no resting, in about 2 minutes.  i can do 50 pushups  in 40 seconds or less.  I can spin back aerial back crescent kick a beer can off a 6' mans head.  I can do pushups from a hand stand.  But moving this bike in and out of my port is the hardest thing I do each day.  This bike is too tall and very intimidating if you have to push it around rough terrain.  I think that is the biggest problem.  And saddle bag is another piece of baggage that just screams; "OLD GUY". 
  I bet there is a high percentage of people test riding or trying out connie who drop her before they even hit the road.  It is not cool to show that you are struggling with your bike,, EVER!  That is the problem.