Author Topic: How come we don't all install in-line fuel valves to block hydolock?  (Read 35552 times)

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: How come we don't all install in-line fuel valves to block hydolock?
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2015, 12:40:11 am »
I had a manual petcock conversion on my bike and you just have to train yourself to turn the thing off everytime you stop the bike.  I cam from riding a BMW airhead and that was the drill.  stop the bike, turn the petcocks off.  simple.  I don't have overflow tubes, had the bike for ten  years and never had a problem.   And when you disconnect the hose to take the tank off, you don't have to worry about gas dripping out.  YOU CAN get in the habit of turning the petcock off.
Try riding a BMW with plastic QDs in the fuel line that will crack and spew gas all over you and the bike while riding down the road.  Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh.

You are not going to like my opinion but I feel you should know.  A manual petcock puts you at a much higher risk of hydrolock than an automatic vacuum operated petcock. The reason is that if an automatic petcock were to ever fail it only ever fails in a drip or small dribble mode. It will take all night to fill a cylinder.
A manual petock flows full force wide open (when it is turn on of course)  and can over fill and fill a cylinder in a few seconds... the same amount of seconds it takes to start the bike  up and or shut the bike off or stall or turn the engine off to speak to someone ..  just a few seconds.. that is all it takes.

This is not just my opinion. We had it happen already and recently.  Just purchased and very low miles and  he had a manual petock and he blew the engine- hydrolocked it trying to start it up. Would  you turn the petcock off when your having trouble starting the bike? I think not. He didn't either.
In this case if  he had an automatic petcock he would not have hydrolocked the engine.

You more than others need overflow tubes.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 12:50:17 am by Daytona_Mike »
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2015, 12:44:50 am »
  I make mistakes. That's why I have overflow tubes. With an on-off petcock if you have a bad or weak float needle and you forget to turn the petcock off you will get a cyl full of fuel. Hit the starter and you have a HYDROLOCK episode.   >:(

PS have had 2 petcocks on my 1994 C10 for 20 yrs and they have not failed YET but at least with the overflow tubes I will know it if it does!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 12:50:01 am by Mettler1 »
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2015, 01:00:06 am »
That is correct Mettler1 but you dont have to forget. With a manual you  can remember every single time and still hydrolock . That is my point and that is what has happened before.
With overflow tubes  you also know you have a leaky float valve no matter what petcock you have.
Without overflow tubes you only wonder why your gas mileage is low  or poor. There are many many bikes running around with leaky float valves and many that have been hydrolocked. Most of the time the owners are  not even aware because they do not have overflow tubes.

How many people have asked about poor fuel economy?  I know the second my float(s) leak- I can smell it and see it. In my case all I have to do is do a WOT run and the piece of trash clears.
I keep my bike well maintained which includes replacing the auto petcock before it  fails.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2015, 04:04:19 am »
That is correct Mettler1 but you dont have to forget. With a manual you  can remember every single time and still hydrolock . That is my point and that is what has happened before.
With overflow tubes  you also know you have a leaky float valve no matter what petcock you have.
Without overflow tubes you only wonder why your gas mileage is low  or poor. There are many many bikes running around with leaky float valves and many that have been hydrolocked. Most of the time the owners are  not even aware because they do not have overflow tubes.

How many people have asked about poor fuel economy?  I know the second my float(s) leak- I can smell it and see it. In my case all I have to do is do a WOT run and the piece of trash clears.
I keep my bike well maintained which includes replacing the auto petcock before it  fails.
   Thanks for the add on. Had not thought of that one.  :great:
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline EBAD

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2015, 12:06:14 pm »
When my bike is cold and I am trying to start it, I leave the petcock off. With the petcock off, I have fuel in the carbs. Enough fuel I might add, to allow me to ride 1 mile down the road. Considering a conservative 40mpg estimate, that means about 3.2 ounces of gas. There is no need to turn the petcock on if your bike won't start - at that point, fuel delivery is not the issue.
94 ZG1000: Rifle, Corbin and Smoky Mountain go-fast stickers

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2015, 12:10:28 pm »
EBAD,
While that will definitely work for someone that rides very regularly. A bike that sits a lot or has simply sat for a longer time than normal may not have enough fuel left to get running on a cold start.
Matt
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline LessPaul

• Street Cruiser
    • Tim Perry Creative Services
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2015, 01:37:34 pm »
Is running a second on/off valve downstream from the OEM petcock an option?

1971 Honda CB350 (in '76)
Time passes. Like 35+ years
1986 Kawasaki Concours (in '13)
Life is once again as it should be.

Offline EBAD

• Bicycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2015, 02:13:42 pm »
Yes, that is an option. I took that route as cheap hydrolock protection.

I start up the bike with the valve off, and BEFORE I hit the kill switch, I turn it back off. It is 2nd nature to me now, even if I ride my other bike on Saturday, I can ride the Connie on Sunday and still remember to hit the valve before each stop.

For a downside, if I let someone ride my bike, they may not remember to turn the gas off before they kill the engine. Luckily no one wants to ride my burgundy whale but me!
94 ZG1000: Rifle, Corbin and Smoky Mountain go-fast stickers

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2015, 03:23:30 pm »
EBAD,
While that will definitely work for someone that rides very regularly. A bike that sits a lot or has simply sat for a longer time than normal may not have enough fuel left to get running on a cold start.
Matt

My experience is that the bowls on a bike with overflow tubes will be dry as a bone in a day during a South Texas summer... about five days in winter.  Without overflow tubes that is more than tripled.  I'm amazed at how fast the fuel disappears when the bowls have flow through ventilation.  Before the tubes I almost NEVER used the PRI setting, but now it is pretty much a necessity if the bike has set more than a day or two (which for me is common any more).  Without overflow tubes I could easily go a week in summer without needing PRI to get started.  Just saying that Matt is right, and to some degree, so is EBAD (providing he does not have overflow tubes).
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2015, 04:12:52 pm »
EBAD,
Matt

My experience is that the bowls on a bike with overflow tubes will be dry as a bone in a day during a South Texas summer... about five days in winter.  Without overflow tubes that is more than tripled.  I'm amazed at how fast the fuel disappears when the bowls have flow through ventilation.  Before the tubes I almost NEVER used the PRI setting, but now it is pretty much a necessity if the bike has set more than a day or two (which for me is common any more).  Without overflow tubes I could easily go a week in summer without needing PRI to get started.  Just saying that Matt is right, and to some degree, so is EBAD (providing he does not have overflow tubes).

To follow up on this, would it be a good idea to just block off the factory bowl venting and just vent with the overflow tubes? Of course, one would not want to keep fluid in the p-trap in the drain line, just eliminating the p-trap.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold
IBA 19221

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2015, 04:23:18 pm »
To follow up on this, would it be a good idea to just block off the factory bowl venting and just vent with the overflow tubes? Of course, one would not want to keep fluid in the p-trap in the drain line, just eliminating the p-trap.

Probably, but I would run a test first. I know on a carb without overflow tubes, if you block the vent tube the bike will immediately shut off due to fuel starvation. I would test your theory by blocking the vents and seeing if the bike still even idled. If it did so, a ride, testing for indications of fuel starvation would be next in order. JMO, Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2015, 06:49:48 pm »

Probably, but I would run a test first. I know on a carb without overflow tubes, if you block the vent tube the bike will immediately shut off due to fuel starvation. I would test your theory by blocking the vents and seeing if the bike still even idled. If it did so, a ride, testing for indications of fuel starvation would be next in order. JMO, Steve
Steve (and Steve),
I know I haven't tried it, but I'm betting that would work just fine.  We know the tubes let in plenty of air so the bike shouldn't know its original vents were plugged at all.  Providing , of course, that there is no blockage in the drain tubing.  I'm going to have to do this one and soon too.  Maybe on Monday when I have some time.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2015, 08:27:40 pm »
OK. I just plugged the top vents and went for an Italian tune up. Everything seems good.

It is now beer:30, I'm out.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
IBA 19221

Offline JDM

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8877
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2015, 12:27:35 pm »
This is starting to get very interesting. It gets the old gray matter to working so keep poking at this folks. Sounds like we might be on the verge of learning something new.   

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #89 on: February 08, 2015, 02:57:23 pm »
I went on a 200 mile ride a bout yesterday in the lovely 70* temps.  :great:  I made sure, also, that there was no carbon formation in the engine internals.  :motonoises: :motonoises: :great:

The bike runs and idles perfectly. Oh, the bike turned 214k miles also.
IBA 19221

Offline gottaride

• Crotch Rocket
  • 1994 concours
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10652
« Reply #90 on: February 08, 2015, 03:48:19 pm »
Up here in Alberta my parking spot faces south and gets above 80F with very low humidity. Same results as Rev for overflow bowls draining within a day or two of not starting. To start I rotate my manual petcock 90 degrees to on then activate prime for a 20 count then switch to on. The manual petcock is brass and quite small. So glad it's there.

I overlooked mentioning that on tours I get paranoid about hydrolock and use the manual valve all the time. I just don't trust that OEM petcock despite it's being new. I should probably convert it to manual and be done with it. Let's face it the stock petcock is unreliable.

Offline Big E

• Tricycle
« Reply #91 on: February 08, 2015, 07:23:13 pm »
I did the same EBAD I just put another shut off downstream of the factory shut off as a precaution. You don't have to shut it off every time you stop ..... Its going to take a while to fill a cylinder to hydrolock it. I shut it off overnight and whule in storage over the winter. Then I check the factory petcock once a monthe or so and all is well .....

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #92 on: February 08, 2015, 08:41:39 pm »
...until y'all find out it's starving the carbs for fuel...  ???  Steve

Offline gottaride

• Crotch Rocket
  • 1994 concours
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10652
« Reply #93 on: February 08, 2015, 09:55:47 pm »
That"s bull in my case, it's the same I.D. as the fuel line. Folks said the same thing about the Napa3006 fuel filter and that's bull too. Just sayin'. Never once had any difficulty with WOT up to 120mph fully loaded for bear touring.
Steve in this singular case you are not correct.

Offline Thud300

• Taking the long way everywhere
  • Street Cruiser
  • my YouTube channel: "ToastRider"
« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2015, 10:15:11 pm »
For a hydrolock to occur, it would only take enough fuel to fill a cylinder to just before TDC..... curious, does anyone know what that volume is?
Returning old Kawis to riding glory since 2014
1998 Concours "Connimus Prime"  CDA #555
1991 Voyager XII "Xaviera"
1989 454 LTD "Merlin"

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • COG#: 9921
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #95 on: February 08, 2015, 10:41:10 pm »
For a hydrolock to occur, it would only take enough fuel to fill a cylinder to just before TDC..... curious, does anyone know what that volume is?

1 liter.... 4 cylinders...  250 ml would be actual displacement of a cylinder from bottom to top of the stroke, which is a hair under 8.5 ounces.
I'm sure less than that is required... probably less than 1/2 that... my guess.
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #96 on: February 08, 2015, 11:16:42 pm »
McFly,
What is the compression ratio of a ZG 1000? 10 to 1? If so it would only take slightly more than 1/10th of the compressed volume of one cylinder to have a hydrolock. The cylinder only has to have more fuel than room. Depending on piston location in the stroke that could be minimal.
Matt
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline Thud300

• Taking the long way everywhere
  • Street Cruiser
  • my YouTube channel: "ToastRider"
« Reply #97 on: February 08, 2015, 11:41:56 pm »
By that reckoning, assuming a 10:1 ratio, the volume of a single cylinder at TDC is just under 25 cc's... so I guess 30 cc's would do it handily :o
Returning old Kawis to riding glory since 2014
1998 Concours "Connimus Prime"  CDA #555
1991 Voyager XII "Xaviera"
1989 454 LTD "Merlin"

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2015, 03:29:35 am »
That"s bull in my case, it's the same I.D. as the fuel line. Folks said the same thing about the Napa3006 fuel filter and that's bull too. Just sayin'. Never once had any difficulty with WOT up to 120mph fully loaded for bear touring.
Steve in this singular case you are not correct.

I'm sorry, but I'm really comfortable with the fuel starvation theory. It actually doesn't originate with the filter, it originates with the tank vent. the filter exacerbates it to the point that the carbs are running only partially filled. Steve

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2015, 03:56:35 am »
By that reckoning, assuming a 10:1 ratio, the volume of a single cylinder at TDC is just under 25 cc's... so I guess 30 cc's would do it handily :o

Probably far less than that... remember the fuel only has to displace enough air that the stress of going past TDC is greater than the strength of the rod. If you start with 250cc of air and replace 25cc of that with liquid, that's only 10% of the cylinder, but if at TDC you only have 25cc of space, and 25cc of fuel, you still need room for the what was 225cc of air, which obviously can't be compressed to 0cc.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics