Author Topic: How Much engine noise is normal?  (Read 694 times)

Offline Cjweaver13

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
How Much engine noise is normal?
« on: May 15, 2018, 10:50:56 am »
Good morning all. Got the tires on the bike and took it for a spin finally. I noticed at idle I can hear some ticking coming from what sounds like the right side. I plan to get a mechanic stethoscope and pin point it unless you guys think it's normal. I took a video for sound and was going to upload it, but you can't hardly hear it on the phone, which I'm guessing shows the severity of it/ lack thereof.

It's not like a metal on metal ping, but sounds more like valve or cam noise. How much is normal for these bikes? I'm guessing it could also be simple like carbs are out of sync, or plug and coils need to be replaced. I didn't put sealant around the exhaust where the header pipe comes onto the muffler, so was even thinking it's being caused by an exhaust leak. Thanks for any input.

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
Re: How Much engine noise is normal?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 12:59:39 pm »
Have you had the valve cover off to check the clearance on the valves.  If you've not done that, I would suggest you do so.  On a new to you bike, it needs to be done anyway.  These are old tech engines, so they're not the quietest thing out there.

Offline Strawboss

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 5852
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 01:46:24 pm »
clacky valves on this bike are ok, its always good though to at least check the clearance of them if you haven't yet.
01 Concours  1982 KZ550A  1979 Triumph Bonneville  1995 Honda scooter  COG#5852  AMA Life 302525  NRA 9098599  SASS 28759

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 09:25:57 pm »
I agree that this is a good impetus to check the valves, and make sure they have plenty of gap. Then they'll really be loud! Tappy valves are happy valves. These engines make a good bit of noise if you stick your head down there, but as long as you don't hear it over the Connie Whine while riding, you should be good.
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline kkja13

• Mini Bike
  • Tyler, TX
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 09:51:13 pm »
This thread reminded me of this famous quote from McFly.

...my bike makes about 30 different noises I have no clue
as to what they are.  Oh wait!  31.  It's making a different noise with the newly installed block-off plates!
I've cured at least 28 of 'em with ear plugs.

The connie is a noisy yet very reliable machine, so I try not to listen to my engine anymore, I just ride it like I stole it.  If it breaks then I'll fix it or buy something else, I can't waste the effort worrying about it.
2004 C10
2003 Suzuki SV650s
2000 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 (75mpg!)
1993 Suzuki DR350; 1984 Honda XR200R (RFVC); 1985 Yamaha PW80; 1975 Yamaha DT175;
1974 Honda ST90; 1973 Honda Z50 (first bike, still runs)

Offline Cjweaver13

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 10:04:25 pm »

as to what they are.  Oh wait!  31.  It's making a different noise with the newly installed block-off plates!

The connie is a noisy yet very reliable machine, so I try not to listen to my engine anymore, I just ride it like I stole it.  If it breaks then I'll fix it or buy something else, I can't waste the effort worrying about it.

That is a fantastic quote. I know myself included people get scared of "noise" in anything that uses gas. I'll check the valves as I don't hear anything over the engine when at higher revs and drive it like I stole it.

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 04:14:58 am »
Good morning all. Got the tires on the bike and took it for a spin finally. I noticed at idle I can hear some ticking coming from what sounds like the right side. I plan to get a mechanic stethoscope and pin point it unless you guys think it's normal. I took a video for sound and was going to upload it, but you can't hardly hear it on the phone, which I'm guessing shows the severity of it/ lack thereof.

It's not like a metal on metal ping, but sounds more like valve or cam noise. How much is normal for these bikes? I'm guessing it could also be simple like carbs are out of sync, or plug and coils need to be replaced. I didn't put sealant around the exhaust where the header pipe comes onto the muffler, so was even thinking it's being caused by an exhaust leak. Thanks for any input.

It should have a healthy growl.
I'm guessing the tic could be from the chain tensioner.
My C10 makes a slight tic sound at idle until the tensioner tightens it up a notch. Then it quiet downs for a spell. I could be wrong here.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"
Freelance Cartoonist & Illustrator: Road Rash Motorcycle Cartoon Book

Online Bob H

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 788
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 11:30:28 am »

Fantastic quote.  I've printed it and will hang it in my garage!!  :))
Remember, much of what you see on-line is wrong or misguided, your task is to filter that out!
 '88 one owner:
Bone stock...and proud of it!!

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 02:02:31 pm »
Just because a noise is normal doesn't mean we should not try to track it down and eliminate what noises we can.

Some other things not mentioned that might cause a ticking noise... Sparking from a bad plug wire, exhaust leak at the head or head gasket, tensioner hitting the clutch basket, or maybe even a piece of the star spring broken off?
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline Cjweaver13

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 05:49:44 pm »
Just because a noise is normal doesn't mean we should not try to track it down and eliminate what noises we can.

Some other things not mentioned that might cause a ticking noise... Sparking from a bad plug wire, exhaust leak at the head or head gasket, tensioner hitting the clutch basket, or maybe even a piece of the star spring broken off?

I noticed today I have an exhaust leak directly under the front where the header pipe joins the motor. Actually noticed more smell coming from the front at idle and looked under it quick. This will be another rainy day project.

Offline mr t

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 7173
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 10:05:58 pm »
Good luck. I just replaced my headers on my 06 and it was a real PITA. Working on the floor it took me 3 days of partime work. My knees are still aching. Make sure you use new gaskets.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9921
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 10:16:31 pm »
After doing engine maintenence I ride without ear plugs to listen for real obvious bad noises,
Otherwise it's ear plugs in! 

It's a noisy bike... I had a 'cold tick' too... replaced the cam chain tensioner and
it went away.  That's not why I changed the tensioner though. :-[  Just got lucky.  ;D

I'm up for a valve adjust, new plugs and a carb sync this fall....  It'll sound completely
different then...  :o
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators, Fork Brace - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director