Author Topic: How Much Longer Will the C10 be Viable  (Read 4099 times)

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
How Much Longer Will the C10 be Viable
« on: June 12, 2017, 01:18:52 pm »
so, thinking on the way into work while riding one of my C10s into work.  I wonder how much longer these bikes are going to hold out in terms of being really viable to ride and maintain.

while the bike did have a wonderfully long run, parts availability will eventually wain and the aftermarket has already somewhat moved on.

Now...don't be fooled by this.  I'm not planning on getting rid of my C10s any time soon.  Just a wandering mind and foolish thoughts.   :))
North Carolina AAD
COG, VROC, VBA, IBA, USCA and other TLAs
05 C10, 94 C10, 06 Nomad, 15 CB
https://www.bikepics.com/members/ncdave/

Offline Red Eagle

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 5753
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: How Much Longer Will the C10 be Viable
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 01:50:15 pm »
As an owner of an '86 model, I recognize your feelings. Tires have been my concern since I prefer Avon's. Michelin's were on the bike when I bought it ( 1 owner with 59K on it; pods on the carbs, Rifle windscreen). When the Michelins went away and there were no replacements I went to Avon based on comments from this forum. I've just replaced the radials with bias type Avons and like them very much.
I have some maintenance items to do and at 98K the bike does have a few "warts", but it runs fine and has been a real hoot to ride.
At 78 years (soon to be 79), this is the last bike I'll own or ride, so I'm like you wondering how much longer I'll be able to service this bike. Support from this group, COG, makes me feel like I'll be able to do OK.
When riding, I still get looks at the bike, and ,yes it's still confused as being a Beemer. Most say they've never heard of a Concours. Other COG members say it's an awfully clean example of an '86.
So, I'll keep on riding it until "that" day when one of us just can't " the grade".

Ride safe, ride often.

Bob Young
COG #5753
Bob Young   COG #5753 C-10 A-1 CDA#307 

Offline Boomer

• Street Cruiser
  • Me dwarfing Vivian
    • Boomers GTR Site
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 05:02:07 pm »
After 250k miles on C10s I will be keeping one in my garage until I can no longer ride.
Current bike has nearly 200k on him (bought at 82k) and requires regular maintenance but does 400+ miles every week.
My C14 will go before my C10.
That said my C10 is fairly modified with 4 piston brakes, Russell saddle, huge screen, bar risers, etc.
Would like to get ABS for the front brake but that's about all I'd change.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK
CDA-007

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7055
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 05:21:46 pm »
My 2002 just turned 15 years old and she runs better Now than when I bought her new. Many upgrades have been done to the Silverbullet over the last 15 years. This bike is without a doubt one of the most versatile motorcycles when it comes to adaptability  (i.e. ability to accept parts from other bikes). Still can't believe it has been 15 years since I got this thing.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 11:28:07 am »
I suspect a C10 can be kept on the road for many years to come.
Many of its "wearout" parts are shared with other bikes, and while the aftermarket is not as strong as it once was, it's still there.
Even tire sizes are shared so decent (or good) tires will be around.
There are a number of reasons why I went to the C14, but fear of parts was not one of them :-)

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 12:50:22 pm »
Stop thinking and pay attention to the road. It's not how long the bike
will last it's how long we riders will.

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 12:55:27 pm »
but I can't help it!   :-[

I owned a 92 Suzuki VX800 which that link of bikes met the fate of running out of useful spare parts to keep them going.  However, they only had a short run here in the states, so not as deep a parts pool to draw from.

No worries though, it was just one of those "hmmmmm" thoughts on the way to work.   :motonoises:
North Carolina AAD

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 02:18:14 pm »
For the price of a few parts you can find a complete C10 - strip it down and properly store the parts on a shelf.

I've done that with a few cars and one BMW bike - fuel pump $500 - complete bike $1200 - suddenly had $5,000 in spares.

I still would like a C10. McFly and Handyman and a few others have inspired me. Mine would be naked, round headlight, maybe pull a utility trailer for cooking gear - these things only get cooler with age  :motonoises:

1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 02:26:24 pm »
you need something like this on a slightly larger scale....
North Carolina AAD

Offline Larry_Buck_FL

• Industry Member
  • Road Bike
    • Buck Sport Touring
  • COG#: 3451
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 02:28:26 pm »
As Richard said, I, like him, am nearing the sunset of my riding. The old girl has served me well for 20 years, nothing major, just normal maintenance. There were approx. 25,000 C-10's made - parts will be no problem. As long as COG and this forum are supported, owners have an invaluable resource.

P.S. Richard - I will miss our friendly bike show competitions at National Rallys. Be well my friend.
Larry Buck - COG 3451, Retired SE-AD, now SE-AAD, Ex - Concourier C-10 Tech Editor, COG National Safety Officer, IBA 5581, MSF-Rider Coach, Forum moderator.

Buck Sport Touring-"Ride Far" www.bucksporttouring.com

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 02:36:39 pm »
Yes I think these bikes will endure for as long as we have gasoline to run them. I understand the fear though, my 1980 Honda CB is pretty long in the tooth, and there are major parts that can only be found used. It has been a few years since I was on that forum, but there were companies making aftermarket cam chain tensioners and chains for racing, and those are two biggies that are needed. Those CB's had a short production run of just a few years, before Honda redesigned out some of the quirks on their DOHC engines. That 1980 still makes our "aging" C10's seem like spaceships.
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 03:18:05 pm »
I think about our aging machines at times and wonder how long they will be around too.
They are becoming a little cult like, I've had strangers come up to me and ask what BMW model it is or how old is that bike, etc. There will always be someone interested in keeping an antique sport tourer going ::).
The support from COG and especially all the C10 gurus has kept me in the game.
 I think there are enough parts around to outlast my riding career, hopefully around 20 years.

Hey Sport Rider, now that you have the side car rig you can build one of those kitchens to go to, swap out the side car, brings a new meaning on RTE (ride to eat)  :rotflmao:
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanie Rear

Offline Thud300

• Taking the long way everywhere
  • Street Cruiser
  • my YouTube channel: "ToastRider"
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 11:10:24 pm »
One night I was parking at the grocery store and a guy on a BMW parked alongside to compare notes, then he realized what I was riding  ;D

I'm not too concerned about parts for the C10, still plenty of them out there.
Returning old Kawis to riding glory since 2014
1998 Concours "Connimus Prime"  CDA #555
1991 Voyager XII "Xaviera"
1989 454 LTD "Merlin"

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 11:39:49 pm »
you need something like this on a slightly larger scale....

Best burger ever came off a cart like this in Phuket, Thailand - fresh herbs and bread - omg will never forget it 😋
1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline GeorgeRYoung

• Road Bike
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 02:43:10 am »
The bike I had before buying a C10 was an '82 Yamaha XZ550 Vision, water-cooled V-twin, dohc on each cylinder, 4 valves per cylinder, shim over bucket adjustment, shaft drive, comfortable seating. Quite advanced for its time, only produced in '82 and '83. I bought mine new in '84.

This was my touring mount for 20 years from 1984 to 2003, despite some notable reliability issues. I sold mine but the model is still going strong and there is a supporting website.

So there's hope for the Concours, which I've only had for 14 years now.

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 01:08:09 pm »
Larry I am here and still kicking and riding. Did not make it to the National this year
because, of a few other things and well I didn't.
I agree with all the statements about the C-10. I have had a few bikes in the last 50 years.
This one still rides nice and slow for me and parts are plentiful and not that expensive.
My older Triumph is going to brake me, I still love the bike thou.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 01:29:23 pm »
I think the c-10 is going to be around for a long time yet, as the parts availability on the used market is huge. My work on the c-10 has really dwindled though, as because of age and corresponding reduction in value owners aren't putting money into the bikes like they did before. I get it, but going back to the days of "home grown" carb work is going to hasten the death knell for many otherwise road worthy bikes. We see this on the forums with the newbies... they're will never know how nice the c-10 can run, and it will be considered a failed project because it was "junk" to begin with... and then more used parts hit the market... parts from a bike the COULD have given years of service had the owner spent a little more to get the bike right. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline n/a

• Tricycle
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 03:02:19 pm »
Very good point Steve......you sure know your Connies!!

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 04:31:17 pm »
I think the c-10 is going to be around for a long time yet, as the parts availability on the used market is huge. My work on the c-10 has really dwindled though, as because of age and corresponding reduction in value owners aren't putting money into the bikes like they did before. I get it, but going back to the days of "home grown" carb work is going to hasten the death knell for many otherwise road worthy bikes. We see this on the forums with the newbies... they're will never know how nice the c-10 can run, and it will be considered a failed project because it was "junk" to begin with... and then more used parts hit the market... parts from a bike the COULD have given years of service had the owner spent a little more to get the bike right. Steve

The 2 best things that made my C10 smooth and no vibes was SiSF's  Torque Cams and the Carb spa. When I got my carbs back from Steve they were absolutely spot on!!! :motonoises:   SMOOTH!! :)
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • Cruise Control
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2017, 10:06:09 pm »
The ZG1000 is timeless in looks, it's easy to maintain, and a joy to ride.  Though I have NO room,
I'm contemplating a 2nd bike, and already told the wife that the Connie WILL stay, even if I have to
put one in a storage unit...   

and it won't be the Connie...  :)

All that said....  I need to get back on the bike more.  Road construction on the commute has
hampered my riding... not the roads, the standing traffic.   :??:
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2017, 02:00:04 am »
The ZG1000 is timeless in looks, it's easy to maintain, and a joy to ride.  Though I have NO room,
I'm contemplating a 2nd bike, and already told the wife that the Connie WILL stay, even if I have to
put one in a storage unit...   

and it won't be the Connie...  :)

All that said....  I need to get back on the bike more.  Road construction on the commute has
hampered my riding... not the roads, the standing traffic.   :??:

It's funny, but the looks are timeless. People who know bikes, especially sport bikes, may chide the styling. However most people see what looks like a modern bike, and some people will even ask you if it's new  :rotflmao:
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2017, 12:07:07 pm »
My plan is to keep my 2000 C10 for the next 15 years or more.

I know how to maintain it, and am going to just run it for as long as it will go.

Its at 92,000 miles now.  At the miles per year average that I ride, and the longevity these bikes have shown (some with 250,000 miles and more - and still going) it will be my energizer bunny motorcycle that keeps going and going and going.

Stan Visser - COG#: 6830 - - C10 Stuff For Sale - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline jerry attric

• Tricycle
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2017, 05:18:29 pm »
to fais in southeast area, or anyone interested. I have a '97 concours, also in the southeast area(Roopville, ga.), that I converted to naked bike due to p/o unintended encounter with a suicidal deer. selling due to health issues. don't have computer skills to post here, but it's on craig's list with pictures and details. price should show $1100, (just reduced). close to $2000 invested. the oil leak mentioned in the ad sounds similar to the college student's problem on another post on this forum. long live connie! 

Offline The Wizard

• Been riding since I was 9 yrs.old.getting to be old fart.
  • Crotch Rocket
  • 'match need with source(used parts)'
    • have a need find a source/parts are parts
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11328
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2017, 08:10:17 pm »
I will help keep them on the road,for as long as I can.SO BUY MORE PARTS TO KEEP THEM IN MOTION!!!(lol)    The Wizard
1964 Honda 55,1971 Honda CL 100,numerous Honda 350 twins,1971 Honda CL 450,1974 Honda CB 750(stolen),1971 Moto Guzzi Ambasador/Velorex sidecar,1975 Kawasaki Z1B
1976 Honda Goldwing (fully dressed)1973 Honda CB 450,1982 Yamaha Virago 750
1977 BMW R100/7(full dress) later Velorex sidecar mounted,1978 Yamaha XS750,1987 BMW K100RS
1996 Honda shadow 1100 ace,2000 Kawasaki Concours,1998,99,98,98+88,90+99 Concours for resurrection           CDA#540

Offline Greenie

• Moped
  • COG#: 1019
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2017, 10:15:54 pm »
I'm going to keep my '98 as long as I ride.... I'm 64 and the bike has 95K miles. Still looks pristine  and runs great. Oh, sometimes my eyes wander - maybe a bike to look cool riding through town might be fun, but for what I need, the Concours is the bike. We tried out a C-14 and just didn't care for it, plus I'd need to find a wife with longer legs. The C-14 is a great bike, but I'm happy with what I have.
Lately I've been riding 10K miles a year and trips to Mexico still give me hope to make it through another winter - something to look forward to.