Author Topic: how to replace brake pads For Dummies please.. with pictures?  (Read 405 times)

Offline painfuldeathbymedic

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Hi all Im Bill .. new to the group. Im in Largo, Florida...   bought a  96 Concours about three months ago... with 70K miles on it in great shape.  Ive put 3000 miles on it and the front and rear brake pads need to be changed this weekend...
I dont have a Chiltons manual... I have done car brakes before, but Ive never changed pads on a motorcycle b4
Since i ride it daily for work, Im afraid of screwing something up or doing it wrong
Ive looked throughout the forum and owners group for a How TO  on changing the pads... should I just look it up on YouTube, or is there a better way?
I plan to post pics of my bike soon...  looking for a good beach spot with some palm trees and water in the background... maybe my g/f in the pic in a bathing suit... Ill keep you posted
anyway, any help is appreciated...

thanks in advance
Bill in Largo, Florida

Offline ManWorkingHere

• Blue Streake
  • Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9292
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: how to replace brake pads For Dummies please.. with pictures?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 05:16:52 pm »
"Hi, Bill...."

Welcome to the COG Forum.  By joining the club you can get more access to shared reference material that other, more qualified, people have posted here.

That said, you might check out your public Library to see if they have a Clymer's manual for the Concours.  Maybe the Library has reciprocal lending with another Library that shelves the Clymer manual.

Only $32 on the Amazon website also.

Best Wishes,
MWH
after 2012 Rally
  Concours 2001 (Blue Streak)  COG#9292

Offline Brooke_Benfield_OR

• Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 2185
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 05:27:58 pm »
Hi Bill;

It's sort of hard to explain replacing brake pads but, hey.....how about that picture???? pant pant slobber....   >:D :)

Ok back to business.

There should be some nice Cogger in FLA nearby who would be willing to stop by your place and help out - heck, i'd do it if I didn't live on the other side of the country. One of the fun parts of it is making sure all the bits and pieces stay in position when refitting the calipers.

While you are in there, it's likely time to lubricate the caliper sliding pins and if the brake fluid is looking yellow or darker, flush/bleed the brake fluid. Do the clutch system brake fluid also.

Use the search function on the forum and read up on bleeding the clutch/brakes because it's not all that easy to get the air out of the banjo bolts. Also read the opinions on which brake pad compound will suit your needs the best - aftermarket stuff is likely cheaper than OEM.
Brooke Benfield  2013 FJR1300  COG #2185

Offline JPD

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12064
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 02:41:19 am »
You might want to plan on rebuilding the calipers at the same time. It is very hard to clean all of the dirt and gunk off the exposed pistons with them installed. If you just push them back in they may stick from the left over dirt or corrosion on the pistons and lock your brakes on. The pistons must move freely for the backup seals to be able to pull the pads off the disc when you release the lever. If you have done car disc brakes you shouldn't have any problems. Pistons should push in by hand, if not rebuild ,clean, new fluid, and bleed.

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 10:28:09 am »
Take notes (and pictures) of the spring placement before disassembly,
particularly the 6 bent tabs in relation to the caliper and pads.
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830 - - C10 Stuff For Sale - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline painfuldeathbymedic

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 11:56:59 am »
Hey guys...
just want to say thanks for all the help and replies...
much appreciated.

Bill

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 12:53:41 pm »
Where are you located? You've quite a few highly experienced C-10 guys in Florida. Post your general vicinity / town and you might get a bite. Good folks all around you.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline CBX-Bob

• Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11241
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 04:53:45 am »
Hey Bill welcome to Connie ownership! Youtube is a fantastic resource for how to's, and you hopefully will find a tutorial there. Usually, when I'm working on my Connie or CBX I'm not bothering to document my progress (and mistakes, blue language, etc.)
The Concours Owners Group probably has more members in Florida than any other state. I joined 5 years ago in Oregon (Northwest Area) and have met some of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.  Consider checking out the activities on the rides and rallys part of the forum, and event calendar for your area. Coggers are happy to share their knowledge.  Ride safe.
Bob.
2002 Connie, 82 CBX Nakid, 82 CBX Dressed