Author Topic: How to Replace Right Front Foot Peg  (Read 223 times)

Offline Casey

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
How to Replace Right Front Foot Peg
« on: July 04, 2018, 07:15:00 pm »
Dropped my bike turning right at low to no speed, seems like a common occurrence. I broke thee right front footpeg mount. I got new footpeg mount and cant figure how to remove top screw. The swingarm is in the way. I have tried both stands and even compressing back end with ratchet strap and releasing air from the suspension. I am at a loss other than to remove swingarm. Please help with some detailed instructions, tips, pictures or video. I am sure I am not the only one to have to replace the footpeg mount.

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: How to Replace Right Front Foot Peg
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 07:34:07 pm »
Dropped my bike turning right at low to no speed, seems like a common occurrence. I broke thee right front footpeg mount. I got new footpeg mount and cant figure how to remove top screw. The swingarm is in the way. I have tried both stands and even compressing back end with ratchet strap and releasing air from the suspension. I am at a loss other than to remove swingarm. Please help with some detailed instructions, tips, pictures or video. I am sure I am not the only one to have to replace the footpeg mount.

all the screws to remove from bike (2 big bolts?), are accessible from the side, without removing anything, once removed, the other bolts holding stuff together  from rear can be accessed while it's in hand.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 07:42:42 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline mnbikeguy

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 07:51:21 pm »

I would also suggest doing the footpeg mod. It allows the footpeg to foldup further which reduces changes of breakage.

https://www.delp.net/Concours/Tech/Footpeg_Mod/index.htm

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9506
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 08:41:49 pm »

all the screws to remove from bike (2 big bolts?), are accessible from the side, without removing anything, once removed, the other bolts holding stuff together  from rear can be accessed while it's in hand.
:iagree:  There should be two large allen head screws to remove the footpeg bracket.  You do have to remove the side cover of the bike to access the top screw.  Unless a previous owner managed to strip out the threads in the frame and put a regular bolt in, there's no way the swingarm could be in the way.

We are talking about a C10 here, right?  Because I have no idea about the C14.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 11:58:49 pm by Outback Jon »
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157 
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited - "Outback's Outback"

Offline Casey

• Big Wheels
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 09:06:15 pm »
My bike is a 1987 concours zg1000

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 09:35:19 pm »
Casey,

The bolt you can’t find is directly beneath the swingarm pivot...then you can get to the bolts accessible from the backside...

Good luck!

Offline Casey

• Big Wheels
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 10:29:54 pm »
Please elaborate.

Offline Casey

• Big Wheels
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 10:36:49 pm »
This is a 1987 zg1000 concours
There are 2 hex bolts that hold plate on from the back side.
Bottom one comes out no problem. Top one there is only about a half inch of space between bolt and swingarm.
Even if i could grab and unscrew the bolt there would not be enough room for it to come out. Unless Im missing something I have to drop the swingarm .

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 12:03:07 am »
 Remove the side cover. (Otherwise, the brake light switch will get caught as you remove the bracket.)
Then remove the recessed bolt that is in the corner of the "L" that the bracket has. Then remove the bolt that is under the brake pedal, and the whole bracket comes off, giving you access to the back.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157 

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 12:04:43 am »
It might be easier if you post a picture of what you’re dealing with...the bolt I’m talking about is recessed back behind the foot peg...in fact, you have to fold the foot peg up to even see the bolt...it is right straight below the swing arm pivot cover...mine was black, so it blended in real good...

Couldn’t have shown it better, Outback Jon...

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 11:32:25 am »
Couldn’t have shown it better, Outback Jon...
I made the same post on Facebook and Casey saw it there.  He got the job done.  (Without removing the swingarm.   :rotflmao: )

:beerchug: