Author Topic: Hydrolock averted????? Problem found and fixed!  (Read 1988 times)

Offline 2fast

• Crotch Rocket
  • Red hair & black leather, my favorite color scheme
    • ZG Heat Shields
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Hydrolock averted????? Problem found and fixed!
« on: September 09, 2012, 02:25:06 am »
I went for a ride with my son today. We each have 86 models, both with overflow tubes installed. We came to a stop, and I smelled gas (as in fuel.......not the other kind...). I looked down, and fuel was dribbling out of my overflow tube end at a rapid rate. I decided the ride was over, and we rode home about 40 miles. All the while, I was keeping an eye on the dripping, and keeping my leg out of the target zone. At highway speed it was fairly minimal, but at stops it really ran out fast.

We made it home just fine, and as soon as I turned off the bike, the drip stopped. So I know two things now. The petcock is working fine, and one of my float valves is not. I am so thankful that I have the overflow tubes to alert me to the problem :-\ 

Now to fix the bad float valve, or clear the hunk of junk that caused the issue. Both options are easier than engine replacement. Funny thing is, I have an inline fuel filter, so I am curious to see what the material is that is causing the problem.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:15:01 pm by 2Fast »
Brian in Minnesota

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Hydrolock averted?????
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 02:40:22 am »
  Could be the float needle got twisted or jammed. If you don't any foreign matter I would consider replacing all float needles.
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 12:50:19 pm »
Hey Brian -could be a failed needle tip, sinking float, and I still wouldn't rule out a sneaky piece of trash. Compared to a bent rod, the fix is minor - Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline wild man

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 6174
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 11:28:39 am »
What make of fuel filter are you running?
Bill
USAF Ret, KC0IGL
AMA#333772, IBA#19247
2003 Connie Constance 125K and counting
2007 KLR 650, 1997 ATK 605

Offline 2fast

• Crotch Rocket
    • ZG Heat Shields
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 12:07:36 pm »
Yeah Steve, gimme a carb cleaning over a con rod cleaning any day! Had not thought at a bad tip. I'll post whatever I find out when I get into it.

Wildman, no idea what filter, but it is a fairly large clear type with a pleated gauze media. I have used the on numerous bikes without issue. I don't expect the problem will be from anything ahead of the filter. We shall see. I also have tygon fuel line so I don't suspect fuel line shedding either.
Brian in Minnesota

Offline SmokinRZ

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9430
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 04:39:26 pm »
I had the same thing happen to me.  Makes me wonder how many people have this issue and don't know about it.  Mine would leak only when warm and I got tired of chasing the issue and used another set of carbs I had on hand.  I didn't have drains so it made for a scary ride home. :o         

Offline wild man

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 6174
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 06:09:43 pm »
no idea what filter, but it is a fairly large clear type with a pleated gauze media

Sounds like what I have, it wont even let dust pass by.  The reason I asked is cause it seems a lot of folks use the napa.  I cut one apart and it looked like a strainer type element, the same used in the petcock, not really much of an improvement in filtration over stock from what I could see.
Bill
USAF Ret, KC0IGL
AMA#333772, IBA#19247
2003 Connie Constance 125K and counting
2007 KLR 650, 1997 ATK 605

Offline 2fast

• Crotch Rocket
    • ZG Heat Shields
Re: Hydrolock averted????? Problem found and fixed!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 12:13:56 pm »
After pulling the carbs and dropping the bowls, I could not find any obvious problem. The needle tips looked fine, the bowls were clean. I sent SISF a photo of the needles to see if he had any ideas. He told me the wire hangers I had were an older design and that they would hang up if the rotated too far on the float tang. Mettler had it right!!  I got a new set of needles with the new design, put it all back together, and everything is fine.  The photo below shows the old and the new, and the difference is obvious. The new (good) style is on the bottom of the pic.

The interesting (read potentially disastrous) thing here is that even with no crud in the gas or carbs, if I had a petcock failure, I would very likely have had hydrolock damage if I had not had the overflow tubes.   Thanks again for all your help Steve :great:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:16:52 pm by 2Fast »
Brian in Minnesota