Author Topic: HyperLites  (Read 6143 times)

Offline 02Conni

• Tricycle
  • Go4aRide...and Ride Safe
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
HyperLites
« on: November 29, 2010, 06:13:20 pm »
Hello Everyone

I am getting a set of the HyperLites modulating brake/running lites for Christmas. Just wanted to get any feedback on these to see what the general consensus is.

Thanks

TK
My Conni changed my life

Offline Gerry B

• Moped
  • Condoms prevent minivans!
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 6037
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: HyperLites
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 09:00:21 pm »
I have a set on my '03 Connie and my sons '04 Ninja 250 and we both feel that they are awesome.  I'm always thinking that some banana will rear end me and anything I can do to make myself more visible the better.  I have left mine set to blink continuously because I feel that gets the best attention.
Gerry Barnett 
Enfield, CT 
COG 6037

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 6953
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 05:10:55 am »
I am all in favor of some kind of 3rd eye and flashing effect in the rear. I have seem some that work good on the Connies. And some that I could hardly tell they worked unless I was close. When further back they get lost in the regular brake lights. Maybe mounted too close to one another. I don't have HyperLites on my Connie, so not the best reference. But some separation between the HyperLites and the regular brake lights might work nice. Try and temp mount them where you want them. Get someone to operate the brakes and stand back a ways and see how they look.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 01:56:58 pm by Slybones »
2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 11:57:59 am »
I am all in favor of some kind of 3rd eye and flashing effect in the rear. I have seem some that work good on the Connies. And some that I could hardly tell they worked unless I was close. When further back they get lost in the regular brake lights. Maybe mounted too close to one another.
<snip>

As Slybones points out, multiple light sources can look like a single source when mounted close and viewed from a distance.  To make the aux lights stand out there must be a noticeable difference. In my area I have seen traffic lights that have a white "strobe" line that flickers across the red light.  This draws attention to the red.  Hyperlites and devices like them provide the same affect. The flashing LEDs of the Hyperlites are noticeably brighter than the brake lamp, and the flashing draws attention to it.  The same can be said for headlamp modulators. 

Motorcyclists need to be cognizant of the statistics that only 3%-4% of crashes [at intersections] occur from the rear.  The majority of crashes with other roadway users generally occur in front of us, and casued by another vehicle entering our right of way.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 12:02:26 pm by SSmith_3184 »
| Steve Smith | COG #3184 | MSF/CONREP RC |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline Camper Dave

• Crotch Rocket
    • The WOG
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 05:54:08 pm »
they are awesome.
I have left mine set to blink continuously because I feel that gets the best attention.
And I hate you!  :P
<--- is there any mechanism in place to deal with a non- productive, antagonistic, former non- member such as this?

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 06:08:19 pm »
Motorcyclists need to be cognizant of the statistics that only 3%-4% of crashes [at intersections] occur from the rear.  The majority of crashes with other roadway users generally occur in front of us, and casued by another vehicle entering our right of way.

I couldn't agree more. I've had too many close calls lately! A headlight modulator (IMO) is your best offencive weapon for approaching vehicles. Auxiliary lights down low on the forks would be my second and possibly additional choice. Being seen cuts down the amount of incidents. But you can't totally rely on them. That would be foolish. Hi viz clothing doesn't hurt. But IMO, works better from the sides or rear. The flashing rear stop lights, reflective taping and Hi Viz clothing is IMO your best offence from the rear. But watch your mirrors at stopping points!  ;)

Offline ManWorkingHere

• Blue Streake
  • Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9292
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 07:02:30 pm »
I have left mine set to blink continuously because I feel that gets the best attention.
But they only blink when you apply the brakes, right?

In Wisconsin, I heard that you cannot have any light blinking to the rear unless it is considered part of the braking process.  I installed a rear flashing unit that I bought during Tomah national for the brake lights.  Like supporting a state dealer, and I got a sense of better visibility out of it.

Matt
after 2012 Rally
  Concours 2001 (Blue Streak)  COG#9292

Offline Wess

• Street Cruiser
  • I had sooner lose my arm than live under tyranny!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 8010
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 11:59:33 am »
When further back they get lost in the regular brake lights. Maybe mounted too close to one another.

The ones I have actually replace the rear brake light unit.  I think I got them from Murph.
Respectfully Yours! 
Wess Heavner 
Independence, MO 
COG #8010 CDA #0239 ROK# ROK100027795  AMA# 2952749 IBA #38420 2009 Hard Luck Award Winner!

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6662
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 09:33:38 am »
I've had hyper lights on my '02 for about 3 years now. They are worth the investment.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline Gerry B

• Moped
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 07:24:41 pm »
But they only blink when you apply the brakes, right?

In Wisconsin, I heard that you cannot have any light blinking to the rear unless it is considered part of the braking process.  I installed a rear flashing unit that I bought during Tomah national for the brake lights.  Like supporting a state dealer, and I got a sense of better visibility out of it.

Matt

Yes they only blink on brake application.  And like Camper Dave says... Damn those things are annoying(but they sure do get your attention!!!)
Gerry Barnett 
Enfield, CT 
COG 6037

Offline Gerry B

• Moped
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 07:26:29 pm »
they are awesome.

And if you weren't riding your wives Harley you could be in front instead of behind...  >:D
Gerry Barnett 
Enfield, CT 
COG 6037

Offline Eddie_Bohanan_TN

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 9073
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 09:46:37 pm »
We have the whole set from comagination.com, the headlight is plug and play the the taillight is only three wires, I think I gave $90 for both at the time (about 4 months ago) and really do like them

Offline Camper Dave

• Crotch Rocket
    • The WOG
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 10:15:23 pm »
they are awesome.

And if you weren't riding your wives Harley you could be in front instead of behind...  >:D
Safety first... loud pipe saves lives!
No-one ever rear-ended us right  :))
<--- is there any mechanism in place to deal with a non- productive, antagonistic, former non- member such as this?

Offline Gerry B

• Moped
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 01:20:13 am »
they are awesome.

Safety first... loud pipe saves lives!
No-one ever rear-ended us right  :))

True... true... and I have loud pipes(Cobra F1's) too so I'm doubly safe right?
Gerry Barnett 
Enfield, CT 
COG 6037

Offline Camper Dave

• Crotch Rocket
    • The WOG
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 02:08:13 am »
True... true... and I have loud pipes(Cobra F1's) too so I'm doubly safe right?
I wish it worked that way... but your bike is too quick, it cancels out some of the loud factor.
The good news is that your hyper-lights are annoying at any speed!

Offline 02Conni

• Tricycle
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 02:15:45 pm »
Where should I mount these so that they are the most noticeable and so they won't blend in with the stock brake light?
My Conni changed my life

Offline Ratsac

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 8265
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 11:30:24 am »
i stuck mine inside the rear brake lens cover, still flashes bright enough in the dark and waterproof, they have been there for 8 years now, now issues,
Andy

Offline diablo6v

• Scooter
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 12:30:25 pm »
The nicest flashing rear brake unit I have seen is from Murph's. It is LED & you can program the flashes etc. It is very bright and noticible. I did not have the cash for that unit. So i bought the "Back off" brake light modualtor from SDC.  It was about $40. I installed that along with some brand new bulbs and while not as bright as murph's it is certainly just as eye catching. That combined with some of Larry Buck's Tail brites have really lit up the rear of my connie. I have noticed the difference in following distance by vehicles.

Offline 02Conni

• Tricycle
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 12:48:52 pm »
I am going to install the hyperlites using the bracket that I purchased with the kit. I would like to install them so that there is no wiring showing once they are installed. I was thinking about taking off the pegs for the turn signals and running the wires there and then up under the seat. How do you get the stems off? Is there a screw behind the plastic piece that they are attached to?

Thanks

TK
My Conni changed my life

Offline mellow yellow

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 9301
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 12:41:02 am »
I have a led light bar that I attached to the rear rack cover that goes from side to side when the bike is turned on then blinks several times before being steady when I apply the brakes.  I also placed some reflective white tape to the rear of the saddlebags. :)
05 connie

Offline 02Conni

• Tricycle
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 04:47:22 pm »
Hello Everyone

I am going to install my Hyperlites but need to know about the wiring on the 02 Conni. Can someone please tell me about how to wire the hyperlites to the Conni?

Thanks

TK
My Conni changed my life

Offline Brian_Kellett_NH

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 8823
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 01:07:53 pm »
I have the brake/turn combo LED's mounted on the Hyperlites license plate bracket.    They work fantastic.  I also added the small 6-LED Amber turn signals and mounted them facing outward left and right just in front of my stock fairing side reflectors.  I tucked the wire neatly under the rubber boot.