Author Topic: I had a flashback!  (Read 828 times)

Offline TNConnieRider

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12722
  • Membership Level: Active
I had a flashback!
« on: December 29, 2017, 08:10:33 pm »
Over the holidays with a little tome off work, I have mounted new rubber, bled brakes, changed gear and engine oil, and wheel bearings. Time for a ride today. Do you remember the car you had (fill in the blank) that had a 4 barrel carb and you would flip the breather cover over so you could hear that deep throaty sound when you mashed the skinny pedal? Well, while out for a ride today was cruising along at slower speed in top gear, low RMP then rolled into the throttle. A grin came across my face as I enjoyed that sound that you only get from a carbureted machine and suddenly, I went back 35 years. Typical Connie the slow speed and RPM only lasted a few seconds as I rolled up into cruising speed. I quick jumped on the local highway (AKA speedway)  and another grin came on as I enjoyed the feel of my awesome Connie #2 zipping along at more than legal speed, diving into the exit and hitting the curvy two lane back to the garage. Life is good.  :great:
Honda MiniTrail 50, Yamaha GT 80, Suzuki TC 100, Yamaha DT 125, Kawasaki KZ 400 Ltd   Kawasaki KX 125, Suzuki RM250, Kawasaki ZX600,Kawasaki Concours C10 (#1) Suzuki Boulevard C50,Kawasaki Concours C10 (#2)

Offline Swampcat

• Officer
  • Road Bike
  • Editor of The Concourier
  • COG#: 12154
  • Membership Level: Concourier Managing Editor
Re: I had a flashback!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 08:59:58 pm »
I had a flashback as well when I saw the Suzuki TC100 in your signature line. My first real motorcycle (after the Rupp minibike that hooked me on two wheels) was a TC90. I rode that thing so hard there wasn't much left when I moved up to a TS185. Good times.
--Ed
2004 C10 ("Shoodaben")
1991 Vulcan 500 ("Lorath")

Send articles/pictures for The Concourier to editor@cog-online.org

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • COG#: 9921
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 10:18:57 pm »
Today I rolled out of the garage for the 1st time since mid November.  Nice slow go out of the
Neighborhood, then after I turned out, the RPMs went straight up to 7-8k...  THAT noise is
AWESOME!  I noticed it turns heads too.   ;D

My Connie has been neglected this year....  I need to ride more.  I rode past my block twice
on the way home.... just to stay riding a bit longer...

Looking forward to the Last Blast tomorrow....  then the BMWNEF Coolest Rally in 2 weeks.
Just what the doctor ordered!
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators, Fork Brace - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 10:44:32 pm »
Love my carb Connie. Although she's sleeping until spring, it was -19 F last night. My plow truck even moaned starting this afternoon..
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 10:51:47 pm »
TN, I know your talking about the great sound the carb makes when you lug, then roll it on in a higher gear.
Bwaaaaaaaaaa................

Swampcat, I too had one of the Suzuki's. It was a T?-125.
       Mine had a 4 {or wuz it 5} speed gearbox with a lever that you could turn to switch from low to high range...

VT,,, -19 F*?     OMG !!    :a102:

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline TNConnieRider

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 11:05:06 pm »
I had a flashback as well when I saw the Suzuki TC100 in your signature line. My first real motorcycle (after the Rupp minibike that hooked me on two wheels) was a TC90. I rode that thing so hard there wasn't much left when I moved up to a TS185. Good times.

The TC 100 had the hi/Low tranny and was quite fun!
Honda MiniTrail 50, Yamaha GT 80, Suzuki TC 100, Yamaha DT 125, Kawasaki KZ 400 Ltd   Kawasaki KX 125, Suzuki RM250, Kawasaki ZX600,Kawasaki Concours C10 (#1) Suzuki Boulevard C50,Kawasaki Concours C10 (#2)

Offline TNConnieRider

• Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 11:09:46 pm »
TN, I know your talking about the great sound the carb makes when you lug, then roll it on in a higher gear.
Bwaaaaaaaaaa................

Swampcat, I too had one of the Suzuki's. It was a T?-125.
       Mine had a 4 {or wuz it 5} speed gearbox with a lever that you could turn to switch from low to high range...

VT,,, -19 F*?     OMG !!    :a102:

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider,

YES! the two speed tranny was cool. No one else had it. I actually was rolling backwards on a hill and thought I could jump start and it did, in reverse! Had to shut it off and then jump in forward motion to restart the motion in forward. (never told Dad!)

Offline Swampcat

• Officer
  • Road Bike
  • Editor of The Concourier
  • COG#: 12154
  • Membership Level: Concourier Managing Editor
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 12:04:49 am »
All the TC series bikes had that dual-range transmission, so yours must have been the TC125. I think that was one of the line.

I got quite good at changing ranges while moving. The engine was bulletproof and never blew up when I did that, even though it probably should have. Fourteen-year-old boys have no respect for good machinery. :)

And that two-stroke sound! I still miss it.

I believe it was a four-speed gearbox.
--Ed
2004 C10 ("Shoodaben")
1991 Vulcan 500 ("Lorath")

Send articles/pictures for The Concourier to editor@cog-online.org

Offline TNConnieRider

• Tricycle
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 02:31:18 am »
All the TC series bikes had that dual-range transmission, so yours must have been the TC125. I think that was one of the line.

I got quite good at changing ranges while moving. The engine was bulletproof and never blew up when I did that, even though it probably should have. Fourteen-year-old boys have no respect for good machinery. :)

And that two-stroke sound! I still miss it.

I believe it was a four-speed gearbox.

SwampCat, it was a TC100 because my brother got a Yamaha 125 the same year and he had the bigger bike. What fun!

Offline Brooke_Benfield_OR

• Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 2185
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 04:29:02 pm »
I also had a TC series Suzuki; a 1972 TC125. Loved it! Rode it for 9 years.

If I would have had any brains I would have gotten the TS185.... :'(

I managed to get the mighty 125 all the way up to an indicated 74 MPH (2300 RPM above redline) by using every streamlining trick I could think of and drafting the car ahead of me. That death defying stunt took place on Hwy 46 in Michigan. Ahhh...the memories.... :)
Brooke Benfield  2013 FJR1300  COG #2185

Offline m in sc

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 11:03:35 am »
 :great:  cool . resurrecting an hs1 twin now as we speak.

the 1st post... with the flipped air cleaner, engine masters on youtube dyno tested that recently. it actually works. (look it up)

great post guys.. and happy new year.  ;D