Author Topic: I have a 2006 ZG1000 and have an electrical issue I think.  (Read 803 times)

Offline Garrett

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
I have a 2006 ZG1000 and have an electrical issue I think.
« on: February 14, 2018, 01:43:50 am »
I have a new battery in my Concours but it will not even turn over the starter motor.  I have had issues for a long while with the handlebar needing to be in a certain position in order to get the electric start to start it.  If thew handlebar wasn't turned just in the correct position it wouldn't turn over at all.  I am suspecting a broken wire possibly.  Now the electric start button does nothing even with a new battery and moving the handlebar through the full range of motion.  Any ideas? Thanks

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9921
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: I have a 2006 ZG1000 and have an electrical issue I think.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 02:04:34 am »
Just for chitz and giggles, you might try giving the Junction Box a couple of taps.  (Left side behind the side panel)

Because the ignition switch is on the triple tree, a loose or corroded coonection could be getting moved about with the steering.
You should be able to get to bulk of that wiring by removing the tank.  Check plugs/connections for corrosion and that they're snug.
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline Sparkie

• Road Bike
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 02:48:21 am »
Another culprit I've heard about is corrosion on the starter button pcs.  It means disassembly of the starter button area and cleaning the pcs. I experienced this with my 2006 once where pushing the button would not make any contact. Worth checking.
2006 Kawasaki Concours (Sold)
2006 Ducati 620 Multistrada
2016 Yamaha FJR 1300A

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 04:37:22 am »
  I had the same problem. Was able to get at the contacts with some emery cloth to clean the contacts. I got mine starter button opened up far enough to get the emery paper in. be careful, lots of little parts in there to jump out. ::)
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Red Eagle

• Road Bike
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 03:42:12 pm »
With the fuel tank off check the wire loom and connectors and places where wires could be chafed. But the starter button assembly is a real good place to start. My '86 had a similar problem and I took the switch module apart and cleaned the contacts, reassembled and no more trouble. Take your time, you'll do fine.

Bob Young
COG #5753
Bob Young   COG #5753 C-10 A-1 CDA#307 

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 04:08:00 pm »
Your probably going to need schematics and a digital meter to track this one down.
You are in neutral when you try and start the bike?  Clutch lever pulled in? Kickstand up?
Could be Starter button- emergency stop button- Starter Solenoid- could even be the key switch- 30 amp main fuse- bad ground from battery to frame.
 (you should at least hear that  starter solenoid click- if not- then the starter circuit may not be getting its ground signal.)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 04:26:55 pm by Daytona_Mike »
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 04:23:09 pm »
Are you able to follow the schematic?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 04:26:21 pm by Daytona_Mike »
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Garrett

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 05:23:02 pm »
Thanks to all of you fellow COG Members that replied to my issue here.  I think one of  these at a time until I find the correct solution should resolve this.  I want to ride this thing and it has been sitting for about 4 months.  I now think about how it feels to ride it.  Hope I can.  The mechanics around me are pathetic and scratch things up.  Not going to them to have my motorcycle defaced.

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 08:29:28 pm »
Here's the silly question. Did you make sure the bike was in neutral before hitting the starter button? That will by pass the safety switches which might aide to see if it's just a micro switch before you have to tear into more in depth troubleshooting. It might be a simple as the lock out switch on the clutch lever.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 08:35:02 pm by Cap'n Bob »

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 12:32:28 pm »
I have had issues for a long while with the handlebar needing to be in a certain position in order to get the electric start to start it.

Why did you replace the battery? When you turn the key on does everything but the starter work?

-If so, follow the wire from the starter button and check to see if the harness is chaffed or pinched as you move the handlebars. Hold the starter button while move wires and connections. If that turns up nothing, check every connection in the starter circuit, then I'd take the starter switch and engine stop switch apart next. Check the contacts, be sure they are clean, and no broken wires or parts.

-If not, fix the issue with the battery connections first.

Rule of thumb in all cases... If you have an issue, don't risk causing other issues until you get the first issue fixed.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 12:38:29 pm by WillyP »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline Garrett

• Tricycle
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 04:57:25 pm »
Thanks to all of you fellow COG members and CapNBob just happens to receive the gold star.  I had a feeling that when he wrote that it could be as simple as the clutch switch that that could be the issue.  Well, I took the clutch switch off(1 screw) and put a paper clip between the left and right terminals and Whala it started right up.  That was a simple electrical fix.  It could have been so much more difficult and I have wanted to fix this for months and just in time for the spring.  Thanks to all of you awesome guys for this because you are all gold stars for being so helpful. 

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 10:09:27 pm »
Good to hear you found the problem. Just a suggestion, but you may want to go ahead and check all the micro switches to make sure they're working properly as well. You have the clutch and neutral safety for this circuit. Then you also have the side stand safety switch that it also would not hurt to check before you hop on and go riding.

Just for information to folks, I'll try to run through this quick for the start circuit. Hopefully I don't screw it up. The starter relay coil gets power (+12 volts) with the positive side of the coil coming from the ignition switch, through the kill switch and through a depressed starter switch. The other side of the coil being negative or ground potential if you will, has multiple paths to the coil.
  The clutch switch should lock out the ground going to the start relays coil when the bike is in gear. Obviously so it won't lunge forward unwantedly. So when the clutch is out, there is no ground potential going to the relay coil because the path of ground potential runs first through the neutral safety switch, then the clutch switch before going to the relay coil. But when you pull in the clutch, an alternate path of ground potential completes the circuit to the relay coil. Thus the bike will start in gear (with the clutch pulled in).
  When the bike is in neutral, it just follows the path from ground through the neutral switch, through the clutch out side of the clutch switch to the coil of the starter relay. Thus the starter relay will then send power to the starter solenoid, which in turn spins the starter motor. That's basically the starter circuit. Hope it helps someone.

Offline Ccole

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 11:37:02 pm »
I had an issue similar on my 1990 zg1000 to this in the middle of summer I pulled the starter button apart cleaned all the crud off put it back together then come to find out the other part of the problem was the battery water was low and had to refill it and it worked just fine. the problem I had late in the summer were after I got on the road and then on the highway running at about 70mph and being on the road for about 1.5hrs it shut down and then started right back up while I was still rolling down the road it did this several times on my drive but after I got to wear I was trying to get to after three hours on the road it started acting fine on the way home no problems on the way home at all so I still cant figure out what is wrong it has not happened ageing since anyone got any ideas I was thinking it might be something with the coils too but not sure.

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 12:32:24 am »
J BOX?
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Ccole

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 03:22:28 pm »
I did think that and I opened it up resodered every connection and even checked all spots that the green protectant was coming up then seeled it up have not had a problem sense.

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2018, 09:07:26 pm »
I did think that and I opened it up resodered every connection and even checked all spots that the green protectant was coming up then seeled it up have not had a problem sense.

You might have corrected the problem right there. Of course you can't be sure either way unless it fails again. If it doesn't fail again for a while, you probably corrected the problem.