Author Topic: I still love her, I really really do....Water Pump  (Read 668 times)

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 7653
  • Membership Level: Active
I still love her, I really really do....Water Pump
« on: May 02, 2019, 01:19:33 am »
I know I've been away for a long, long time. That broken ankle last July threw me hard, and now both of my parents are doing really badly so my time off is usually spent helping them. But I really really really wanna go to the National and I really really REALLY miss riding my Connie, although Baby Cousin Ninja 300 got me through the healing time very well. Also miss all my COG people very, very much!

While my ankle was broken, my C10 was in running condition on the lift, getting ready for coolant hoses and cam chain. When I got hurt, I couldn't get up the ramp into the shed with the bike so it sat till the fuel turned green.  :))

Now I can move almost normally again and I've got the carbs cleaned and re-installed, the coolant hoses all done, but..

...I got the bolts mixed up after all that time away, and put one too long into the water pump and stripped the threads.  :-[ :-[ :-[

I do have another used water pump but it seems to spin more freely than the one I pulled out of my own Connie (the second one in 108k miles). Is that a good thing? Was the other water pump on its way out anyway? It's not "notchy," just harder to spin with my fingers than this other one in my parts bin. (It was with the parts that Joan Moody's husband had put up for her '86 Connie).

Also, since no oil was leaking, can I put the oil seal from the old one back in the replacement one?

I'm truly sorry I stayed away. I couldn't bear to join in all the fun when every day was just so hard, and then when so much time went by, it was harder and harder to get back on here.
But Toothpaste Blue is nasty and dirty and just as much loved as she always has been and I hope to get her going very, very soon.

Jenn in "Chaahlston, y'all...."

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
Re: I still love her, I really really do....Water Pump
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 04:14:35 am »
Hey Girl,
 I'm going thru a bunch of crap myself.. but... let's take this offline, and you call me sometime tomorrow, leave a message if I don't answer, and I'll do everything I can, to make sure you ride "Toothpaste" to the national... Dona and I love ya dearly.. I'll send ya a p/m with my number.  check your p/m and give me time to get ya up.

we got this handled.... so, give a break on the many posts from people interjecting.. until she asks again... mmmmkay?

ooooopppppsssss

spoke too soon...
pulled the 2 I had stocked away, one is frozen up solid... argggggg
 >:(
and the other one has a crack in the housing...... from when I was "trying" to test the "rebuild" method... and never realized it cracked...  double argggggggggg
 >:( >:(
I'll call ya this evening....
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 06:33:11 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 02:38:52 pm »
So we're gonna run what I brung, looks like both water pumps would be serviceable. I could actually drill out the stripped threads and put a nut on the back of this one that I damaged, and Murph is only a call away after all...

I'd forgotten some tips to installing this thing, it was good to talk with a more mechanic-type mind about what's next.

Thanks again forum!

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 05:34:03 pm »
still leaking...a lot.

I thought the cover gasket was good, maybe not. Gotta wait on that to arrive before I can go any further. Dangit.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 06:33:16 pm »
still leaking...a lot.

I thought the cover gasket was good, maybe not. Gotta wait on that to arrive before I can go any further. Dangit.

hmmmmm.... did you inspect or replace the o-ring that goes on the metal pipe, that shoves into the waterpump and gets a bolt? just asking....

it's the exact same one that I sent to you a few years back, that is also used on the pipe from the thermostat down to the rail tube, remember?

Kawasaki PN 671B2525

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 09:26:40 am »
The water seems to be coming from the seam at the cover. All the o-rings were replaced along with the hoses, I reckon I'll check again to see if the new one is damaged. I got a cover gasket on the way.

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 09:50:43 pm »
Several parts later, the water pump holds coolant but the NEW o-rings on the coolant log with the thermostat don't! It's just one o-ring, the one on the right, steady leak from it.
I put in all new seals and worked it on slowly to make sure the new o-rings wouldn't kink, I'm not sure why it's leaking here.

Any ideas?

Offline Jim

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12723
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 12:04:07 am »
I just replaced my thermostat, and the corresponding o-rings. If you have to pull it again, clean everything really good and lube the o-rings before replacing. I used a small dab of Vaseline and slowly wiggled them in, checking to make sure they didn't roll. I had to push it pretty hard to get it fully seated. O-rings are bad about tearing or abrading if they're not lubed somehow. Hope you can get it fixed!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 12:08:21 am by Jim »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 01:18:38 am »
Several parts later, the water pump holds coolant but the NEW o-rings on the coolant log with the thermostat don't! It's just one o-ring, the one on the right, steady leak from it.
I put in all new seals and worked it on slowly to make sure the new o-rings wouldn't kink, I'm not sure why it's leaking here.

Any ideas?

those rings are a bugger...
It "rolled" during insertion...
remove, and use a dremel with a wire wheel on it to clean the inner surface of the head, where it plugs into... same with the log ends, make them shiney...I use fork oil for lube, I don't like what Vaseline does to O-rings and rubber parts... :o :o
when you insert the log, have a small flat bladed screwdriver handy, to "coax" the ring in evenly around it's perimeter, they have a habit of hanging up, and need to be Poked to promote even insertion all the way around, always one spot will "pooch outwards" and fail to insert... takes like 3 hands to do... been there...  (3 times in one session to be exact...) that's why when I buy them, I buy a dozen...  :-[ :rotflmao:   and always fill to test for leaks before putting the carbs back on....(bt/dt also...doh)

Offline Jim

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 10:59:35 am »
MOB, I would never have thought to use fork oil... Makes perfect sense. Learn something new from your posts all the time! Thanks for sharing your knowledge. 👍

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 12:31:58 pm »
Good stuff, thanks! In case I've damaged it...is there a commonly available size to replace it that I can find locally? Or wait another week for some from Murph (Gonna order a set from Murph for back-up anyway).

One more question: y'all are putting the o-ring on the log before installing the log, right? Not putting the o-ring inside the head and putting the log on over it? Just making sure I've got that right.

I'm super stoked that the water pump part is right. I know I did this job before, it just didn't seem so dang hard then!  :)

Offline Jim

• Tricycle
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 01:07:27 pm »
Don't know the size or suitable substitute.  MOB may can answer that.

Yes, o-ring on the log.

Offline millerized

• Crotch Rocket
  • Sacred Cow Stomper
  • COG#: 6425
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 03:38:20 pm »
Good stuff, thanks! In case I've damaged it...is there a commonly available size to replace it that I can find locally? Or wait another week for some from Murph (Gonna order a set from Murph for back-up anyway).

One more question: y'all are putting the o-ring on the log before installing the log, right? Not putting the o-ring inside the head and putting the log on over it? Just making sure I've got that right.

I'm super stoked that the water pump part is right. I know I did this job before, it just didn't seem so dang hard then!  :)

I used the similar size out of those horrible freight kits, big blue box IIRC. They lasted a good long time the last time I used them. They were used in the project bike, and again in the 05 I just sold. IIRC the kit was under $10...and to date I'd never had one leak.
https://www.harborfreight.com/397-piece-metric-o-ring-assortment-67580.html?_br_psugg_q=orings
Yeah, blue box and under $10, with a metric shiitton of usable orings. Some of their other kits work just as well, and come in other 'resistant' flavors too.
If you're really in a bind, one of those kits and a tube of red loctite 518, a sharp razor blade...I went across country on the 86 with one of those thermostat orings cobbled together without a single leak. Until I rebuilt it several years later, it still had the same spliced oriing in there.

(and very good to see you back!)
Millerized
As politically incorrect as you can get without a warning label or license.
CDA111

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 01:42:05 am »
Same to you and all y'all!

Thanks for all info, Murph ships quickly but I can pull out the log in the meantime.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 02:45:14 am »

yes, put it on the projected tube on the log... (I can't comment on Jimmi's H/F oring "kit", dont have one in hand.. ) you know already, (as i sent you rings), seale is the deal, so put the ring on the tube, insert it, poke it if it begins to roll/pooch out, and get it on girl...... come on, I really wanna have you buy me a beer at the rally... (or, even vice versa.,. love ya kiddo)

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2019, 03:16:47 am »
Dude I owe you a KEG... :-[

Offline JPD

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12064
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2019, 12:37:38 pm »
Murph even sends you an extra o-ring in case you damage one installing it. Clean the ports in the head very good. Get rid of any sharp edges from corrosion or stuck on o-ring. Watch the ring as you install the tubes. The ring has to stay on the head side of the ridge on the tube. Use the lube of your choice.

I know this has all been said before but if you don't do it you can be like me and do it again.

I have Jim's 05 now, I can't report on the longevity of the HF o-rings yet.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2019, 09:46:57 pm »
Dude I owe you a KEG... :-[

Girl, you always make me smile, knowing you get it.... and can fix it...  :great: :great:

I've made a ton of "mistakes" on work on these bikes, it's my cross to bear, and I share it so others needn't have to scream in agony... I'm tellin ya, doing that silly "easy" job, 3 times, before figuring out "there are no shortcuts"... and spending 4 hours on something that should have taken me 40 minutes to complete... is priceless...   :beerchug:

Semper Fi...  keg me at the national... :beerchug:  j/k

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019, 02:30:57 am »
Jim's '05 is gonna need the carbon cleaned off, we'll have to see that thing run at the National.

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure I've done something to pink the o-ring. The first time I did this job I don't remember so much corrosion and scale on the bike, since it was likely 60k miles ago.
I just hope I can do it without pulling the carbs again. Time's getting short.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2019, 06:10:23 pm »
Jim's '05 is gonna need the carbon cleaned off, we'll have to see that thing run at the National.

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure I've done something to pink the o-ring. The first time I did this job I don't remember so much corrosion and scale on the bike, since it was likely 60k miles ago.
I just hope I can do it without pulling the carbs again. Time's getting short.

don't even think about trying to replace those log rings again, with the carbs in place..... this was what I spoke about, when I said I "did the job 4 times one day".... as you can't see or feel the ring, or get to it to coax it in when it rolls...
pull the carbs, your a big girl, You know how to do it by now...  :rotflmao: :great:

seriously, my trying to "shortcut" was the dumbest thing I could do, and made me "wise up". after I went thru 4 rings in one session...  AND had coolant everywhere...  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2019, 04:48:00 pm »
OK I hear you loud and clear. I can pull the carbs in just a few minutes. Getting them back on, quite a few minutes more.

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2019, 01:38:37 pm »
She's holding her water!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2019, 07:58:33 pm »
 :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :beerchug:

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 04:24:49 pm »
The whole time I was hurt last summer, the battery was on a trickle charger. It still went bad. I'm a battery and some fresh fuel away from trying to start.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 07:31:03 pm »
The whole time I was hurt last summer, the battery was on a trickle charger. It still went bad. I'm a battery and some fresh fuel away from trying to start.

Trickle charger or battery tender? There is a difference.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold