Author Topic: Idle issue  (Read 681 times)

Offline Tjnoma99

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12686
  • Membership Level: Active
Idle issue
« on: August 16, 2017, 09:29:42 pm »
So I'm very new to this bike ( a whole 4 days). Today I went out to get new tires. I have the choke on ( at least I think) to warm up. When I felt it should be warmed up, I turned off the choke. The bike died. Turned the choke back on, the bike fired right up. Any help us greatly appreciated.
The secret to life: 👆👆👇👇👈👉b a b a start!

2015 Yamaha Raider xv1900, 2005 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior xv1700, 2003 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10807
Re: Idle issue
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 09:41:58 pm »
What is the idle set at when warmed up?? Should be 1100. Do the free power mod. Use the search function on the board.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline Tjnoma99

• Bicycle
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 09:45:40 pm »
I was wondering about that! I noticed that the choke on idle is roughly 1000 rpms. What should the rpms be if the choke is on?

2015 Yamaha Raider xv1900, 2005 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior xv1700, 2003 Kawasaki Concours

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 09:54:48 pm »
I was wondering about that! I noticed that the choke on idle is roughly 1000 rpms. What should the rpms be if the choke is on?

Well above that for sure, but doesn't matter, you don't ride with in on, and its an enrichener, not a choke, it adds fuel, doesn't shut off air..
Prolly will be about 1800-2400 when its engaged, but should only be engaged for about 20-30 seconds to make an engine start, and run, in summer...
Start the bike with the enrichener on, then go down to the idle adjuster knob, and turn it clockwise, till it moves the rpms up, then turn off the enrichener, and back off on the idle knob till it comes down to 1100-1000 rpm... twist the throttle, rev it a couple times,.shut it off... now restart without using the enrichener, it should start and run properly.. if it does not... you will need some carb service.. you make no mention of model year,.miles, of how long it sat prior.. getting old stale contaminated gas out by removing the tank, and pouring it out for disposal, and refilling if there is any question on its age... will likely save you a lot of headaches...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Tjnoma99

• Bicycle
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 10:11:54 pm »
Sorry about that. It's an 03 with 43k. I have no idea how long she sat. The previous owner said it only sat a few months but I don't know if I believe him. I did an oil change and only got about 2 qts of oil to drain out. The tank was almost empty when I bought it. I did fill up with 91 and added a some seafoam. I rode for a few miles after the fill up. I could feel a difference so I'm guessing whatever bad gas was left, was used.
I plan on sending my carbs off to be cleaned. Seeing as how I really have no clue how long it sat, I figured that's my best option.

Online Bud

• Road Bike
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 10:49:36 pm »
I plan on sending my carbs off to be cleaned. Seeing as how I really have no clue how long it sat, I figured that's my best option.

Good move.  Make sure and get the tank spotlessly clean on the inside.  Swab it out with an old shirt or something.  What is in the tank ends up in the carbs.  You don't want to get the carbs in great shape and then have them get corrupted with crap from the nether regions of the tank.  You're way ahead of a bunch of new connie owners already.  Keep up the good work and good luck with your new to you ride!   :beerchug:

Online Bud

• Road Bike
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 10:52:10 pm »
Wouldn't be a bad idea to do a valve adjustment while the carbs are in the care of Steve.  Make sure and have him do the overflow tubes in the carb bowls while he has them.  Money well spent.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 11:11:57 pm »
Well, now is the time I say, purchase a factory service manual, read it,.especially the periodic maintenance sections...

When you say you did an oil change, and only found 2 quarts.. its a giveaway you didn't pull both of the drain plugs... there are 2... and also filter replace...
When this is accomplished, the correct fill amount is just over 3 quarts...
Valve adjust, and further stuff, does require the directions from a FSM, as it contains the procedures, and the TORQUE specs for all services...

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~17K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 11:19:53 pm »
You better check now, right away that you didn't overfill with oil.

Online Bud

• Road Bike
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 11:21:55 pm »
You better check now, right away that you didn't overfill with oil.

+1

Offline Tjnoma99

• Bicycle
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 11:40:55 pm »
I didn't realize that there were 2 plugs! Ah live  and learn!

Andi just received my manual today! I'll start looking through it.

I hate being a new guy!  ;). Thanks for the help!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 11:49:34 pm »
I didn't realize that there were 2 plugs! Ah live  and learn!

Andi just received my manual today! I'll start looking through it.

I hate being a new guy!  ;). Thanks for the help!

Its ok, after 14 years kf 'splainin to new guys... it becomes a ritual.. how much oil did you pour in, and did you change the filter at that time...?
Please,.don't start it and run it anymore, untill we get the oil level correct.. you will create a leak on the waterpump seal, and blow oil up the vent into the airbox, if its overfilled.. both bad thjngs...

Offline Tjnoma99

• Bicycle
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 12:02:01 am »
I plan on draining it tonight. Luckily the tire shop is only about 3 miles away. I ride about 6 miles total!

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 10:29:50 am »
And here's the link for your free Maw Kaw Owners Manual download (.pdf file) for you new bike.  There is actually some good info in their that will save you some frustration and time later on.  Enjoy!

https://www.kawasaki.com/ServiceManuals/Manual/ZG1000A18
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 10:33:10 am by Jim »

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 02:57:58 pm »
If you don't trust the seller I recommend you change out all the fluids before riding it. If you are going to send your carbs out for cleaning soon you should change the plugs and adjust the valves at that time.

I had a similar issue but my bike was sitting a whole year. It was my carbs that were clogged.

Offline Tjnoma99

• Bicycle
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 11:56:16 pm »
Jim- thank you! I'm gonna print out a copy to put on the bike!

Dc-the original owner said the bike hasn't been sitting long. But after going through it I've come to the conclusion that was a lie! The oil looked old. The tires themselves were ten years old with almost no wear. The coolant was completely empty. I think he dropped it and it scared him to get back on. I just wish he would've been honest with me. I gonna pull my carbs  this weekend and get them ready to send to Steve! Until then I will do a ton of maintenance!

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 12:35:55 am »
I understand. This happens with sellers who just want to unload the bike. My bike had the original tires and probably some of the original air in it from Japan. My seller was honest about it. He was getting old, weekend rider and couldn't handle the bike anymore. I still changed out all the fluids, tires and other minor things.

You got the manual. Now just do all the service listed in it. There is not much, fluids, filters, lube the back end when you change out the tires, carbs to steve and the valve adj should give you a good solid bike.

Offline goatmar

• Crotch Rocket
  • I do believe, help my unbelief.
  • COG#: 7957
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2017, 07:08:46 pm »
Just a thought with the idle........... if your close to reserve, taking it off idle will kill it........... just a thought.
Dave Muzzey  St. Charles, IL  COG#7957  '01 Connie  100K miles and counting

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2017, 04:03:42 pm »
True... if fuel is low, switching from reserve will kill the engine, but not immediately - it will take some seconds (say 10-30?) and it will die when the bowls empty.
If you're even a little inclined, there are a LOT of technical articles in the COG club's members sections that have been gathered over a long time.
I think that the C10 Connies have quite a variation on how cold-natured they are. Mine needed some time before I could completely turn off the enrichers. It would start VERY easily, often with only a quick touch of the starter button, but I could drive for a couple of miles, and if I closed off the enricher completely, she would die on the spot if idling.
It's a great bike. There may be a few things to address to make up for being ignored for some time, but once going well, she'll run well for a long time as long as you treat her right.

Offline Tjnoma99

• Bicycle
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2017, 08:14:45 pm »
I adjusted the idle screw. Definitely helped! I've already pulled the carbs to be sent to Steve. I'm gonna read a lot on doing a valve adjustment just so I don't screw anything up. Can't wait until I get my Connie up and running. We've got many miles ahead of us to get acquainted!

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2017, 08:53:01 pm »
Well stated!
At 43K miles, there are lots of reliable miles left. Mine had 75K when I "used it up"  :'(   ran better than when new due to Steve's magic. There are several with over 200,000 miles on them, and many with over 100,000.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2017, 11:16:24 pm »
Sold my '99 with 234k+ miles. The gentleman that bought it let me know a few days later that it did over 120mph. Yup, thrashed her right out of the gate. He gave it to his dad to ride up to Mass for the summer(we live in FLA). It should have no issues hitting a quarter million.

I'm trying to repeat the feat on a 650 Versys.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold
IBA 19221