Author Topic: Ignition switch replacement  (Read 208 times)

Offline Steve Mahoney

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9794
  • Membership Level: Active
Ignition switch replacement
« on: April 26, 2018, 12:08:34 pm »
Since a new part is not available to replace the ignition switch on my '87. Is there a go-to new part that is compatible ?  ( Plugs in and can mount properly )
J-Box and everything else is sound,and I have a used part available.But since this is my forever bike, I'd like to go with new.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Ignition switch replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 08:31:16 pm »
The switch (and key) p/n 27005-5064 seems to be as you say, discontinued.. but may be found on ebay as a "new, old stock" item... you need to do the legwork..

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/detail/kawasaki/27005-5064/b795869

The switch assembly for 1994 thru 2006, which is p/n 27005-5101, is still available, about $136 new, from Kaw and Ron Ayers.
I'm almost positive its "plug and play", but the pre 94 part had one "dangling additional wire", that plugged into a single wire connector under the dash.. id have to check what it was for, but if you have a FSM you could effectively see the differences in the pinouts of that switch if any are different, and in reality they are all the same in function..

Mind you, its necessary to drill out the anti theft pins on the screw heads to remove the switch, basically drilling the head off, and pulling the switch, then removing the screw stubs with pliers. New screws should be purchased to accommodate.

Edit to add...
After looking quickly at both schematics, it appears they are the same,.the dangly wire should be on the switch from all years, and this should plug and play fine.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 08:49:43 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Panda

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Ignition switch replacement
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 02:41:04 am »
An ignition switch from an 80-83 KZ 550c was an exact match for my 86 C-10... And cheap. $60 after shipping