Author Topic: Infrequent power loss  (Read 199 times)

Offline Awinkle

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Infrequent power loss
« on: July 26, 2020, 06:31:55 pm »
I have a 2005 Concours. I have viewed many posts but none for this particular issue.  We were headed out for an afternoon ride on one of our favorite loops.  It was warm but not hot.  Had climbed over a hill and down the other side – engine temp in its usual position – low.  Started to lose power as I geared down to enter a small town.  Applied the throttle with no results.  Pulled in the clutch and the engine oil light came on and engine dead – getting a bit nervous with traffic right behind me.  I let the clutch out hoping to start by compression – no joy.  Pull the clutch in and hit the starter while coasting - it fired up.  Was able to engage the clutch and take off.  It ran without a problem for the rest of the trip.  That had happened a couple of years ago but nothing before or after until this incident. 
I can’t figure if this is a fuel or electrical problem.  It is so infrequent that I’m leaning towards an electrical issue such as the kickstand cut out switch. 
Any ideas on what is going on or how to diagnose the problem would be appreciated.

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~25K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
Re: Infrequent power loss
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 07:43:51 pm »
This will be hard to diagnose.

First check fuel lines and venting in the tank.

Offline cra-z1000

• Sport Tourer
  • Keeping it upright..
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9790
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 09:07:22 pm »
Yes , sounds like fuel starvation due to kinked fuel line or vapor lock from the tank not venting . If it happens again open the fuel cap and see if there's pressure . Its pretty common for the fuel line's to kink on our bikes if its not routed just right . Especially with clear tygon line .
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline Dinplug

• Tricycle
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 09:13:05 pm »
Run an auxiliary earth wire from negative terminal on battery to the earth wire on ecu. It the black wire with yellow stripe (trace).

My 2002 used to do that from time to time and gradually got worse, sometimes cutting out for a split second sometimes minutes at a time.

This resolved it instantly.

It's like Steve's free power mod.

Remember 9/10 electrical problems are due to 'bad earthing'

This will take 5 mins and cost nothing !

Good luck.

Offline Denny in NJ

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 13145
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 03:06:03 pm »
Believe you have an electrical problem similar to my recent posting.  I had done Steve's free power mod but it didn't solve the electrical problem I was having.  Suggest the following:  First check electrical resistance of the primary coils, if out of spec, get new coils.  Second, check the resistance of the pickup coils as described in Clymer manual (easy to do).  You do have the Clymer manual don't you?  In my case, the resistance in the pickup coils were normal at room temperature but became faulty under heat (temperature raises the resistance in electrical components).  You mentioned that you were able to restart which is probably due to the pickup coils cooling down and resistance returning to normal range.  Third, check the air gaps in the pickup coils (one of mine were out of spec but even after correcting the air gaps, I still had the electrical problem).

I ended up replacing my primary coils (they were out of spec) and the pickup coils which solved my ignition issues.  Got them from eBay cheaply since I'm frugal  ;)  Hope this helps.

Ride safe,
Dennis

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • GOLD STAR
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 05:01:28 pm »
You sed; Started to lose power as I geared down to enter a small town.

If the reduction in power was slow, or if it restarted after setting awhile; it's probably a semi-kink in the fuel hose.
As the hose gets hot, the kink can collapse more and reduce fuel flow.

Without removing the tank; look closely to the bends in your fuel hose.
  I suspect you will find a place that is semi-collapsed.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!