Author Topic: Interest check - light mount brackets  (Read 1012 times)

Offline dboogie2288

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11628
  • Membership Level: Active
Interest check - light mount brackets
« on: August 13, 2017, 01:09:10 am »
So this is *NOT* my design. I want to say maybe MOB had this posted on here somewhere...but with photobucket being a bag of dicks, I cant see the pics to give proper credit. Anyhow, I had a guy I know cut these to the original design, and I wanted to see if anyone is interested in a set? It's not cheap though....the angle iron is 10 bucks a piece that would make 2 sets, and then he wants $10, plus 5 for shipping, and 4% for paypal...it adds up quick to the tune of about $35 unfinished w/ foam backing.

Is anyone interested in a set of these? I primed and painted my personal set and they look pretty great. I'm putting a feeler out there to gauge interest because I can get parts and have him fab them for us if there is any.

Pics finished/unfinished.
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
Re: Interest check - light mount brackets
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 02:12:49 am »
Yeah, that would be close to my original design with the holey metal... which I made from scrap, and it didn't cost me anything other than an hour of my time..
Using a saw all, hacksaw, and bench belt sander for the edges.. and a spritz of krylon black paint...

I'll post up pics later, of the form fit ones I made.. oh, don't forget to charge for the cut up piece of spare bicycle tire innertube, used for a paint protecting rubber pad, between the mount, and the fairing... :great: :great:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline dboogie2288

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 02:18:57 am »
I grabbed a roll of stick on vinyl weather stripping for the backing, so we're good. I dont have scrap of this type of angle iron, and honestly, it was hard to find!
Current Bikes:

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 02:24:25 am »

SO' yes it is my design, and I'm slightly offended that someone would skank it, and have someone make them, and sell them... sorry if that seems harsh... well actually, I'm not sorry, and frankly have some words to describe it that are not allowed to be written here... and so I'm clear, there are no emoticons with cute faces in this posting.
Do what you feel is right...

I shared this for others to use to make something for themselves, period. This isn't the first time someone took something I designed, and posted, and sold it...
seriously pizzes me off.... and any apologies at this point are moot...

maybe considering to ask, before hand, about my opinion on someone selling them... or even if I was interested in making them for sale...would have been a wiser choice...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 05:14:54 am by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline dboogie2288

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 04:16:10 am »
Don't be offended. I don't care that much about this... So consider the interest check  null and void. There is not enough benefit to me to piss someone off. I certainly didn't want to take any credit for the original design.... Merely provide an option for those who don't really work with metal.

I did reach out to a guy who does a little metal work because I know for myself that I would muck it up. I could get a rough beta together.. But it would never look good without a second pair of hands on it.
Current Bikes:

Offline Stealth Connie

• Training Wheels
    • Don B Waln Facebook
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8503
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 03:55:58 am »
Dboogie, FWIW, I took your orginal post as clearly indicating good intentions, to offer something that isn't really known to be offered.  from the "cost" explanation, didn't really see where you would make anything off of it, IMO.

MOB - That's actually a great idea, looks like angle from shelving, like file shelves.  We know you've offered MANY things to the COG world for free, and are a great asset to COG, but I'm slightly confused by your reply.  You clearly indicated you were giving others the OK to copy your design. Your intention was "personal use" and that intention is still there. If someone wants to offer it for sale, that's also a benefit to some who many not have the skills, tools or time to make their own. It doesn't prevent anyone from making their own, only giving COGGERs an additional option.

Also, from what I can tell, he CLEARLY tried to give credit, even mentioned you in the original post, and stated it wasn't his design. (OP wasn't edited)

I'd buy a set long before I made them. 
Simply put, I make more money at work in the amount of time it'd take for me to source, obtain, cut, clean, prep, paint a set of brackets. My rule is, if I can make more money than I'd pay, for the amount of time it'd take me to do it, I'll pay. If not, I'll do it myself.

97 Concours Stealth Connie - RIP
98 Concours Mean Green - RIP
98 Concours Black Stallion - Current bike

Offline Locomotiveman

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12297
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 02:14:33 pm »
Lotsa light brackets out there. Sold by little bike shops trying to keep the doors open.
If the TRUTH is crystal clear..I must need glasses.

Offline dboogie2288

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 12:31:24 am »
Thanks Don, you read it as it was written. I think to be honest, I would make 5-10 each, but I'd be running around doing all the legwork and shipping, and that costs time and money.
Current Bikes:

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 12:37:54 am »
Hell, I need the money... if people want them, I'll.manufacture them...after all it was mine to start with.
I can't see any third party making money on my account.

Shoot me p/m's, and we can discuss...

I guess i start producing another Blind Mellon Chittlin' product...

Offline dboogie2288

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 01:11:01 am »
Definitely a good idea to promote that you'd be willing to sell them. Honestly, it absolutely isn't worth my time, but I hated that nowadays there aren't many options (outside of DIY) out there. Snarfs were the best, but he's out of it....the angle iron is a similar idea and supports the lights in the same way, so it's the next best thing. If you can get a few bucks out of it...definitely promote it.
Current Bikes:

Offline The Dude

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 11820
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 09:16:21 am »

SO' yes it is my design, and I'm slightly offended that someone would skank it, and have someone make them, and sell them... sorry if that seems harsh... well actually, I'm not sorry, and frankly have some words to describe it that are not allowed to be written here... and so I'm clear, there are no emoticons with cute faces in this posting.

I shared this for others to use to make something for themselves, period. This isn't the first time someone took something I designed, and posted, and sold it...

maybe considering to ask, before hand, about my opinion on someone selling them... or even if I was interested in making them for sale...would have been a wiser choice...

Really?  You're gonna your nose bent outta shape because someone 'stole' THAT design?  It's not like you re-invented the wheel. Why don't/didn't you make a bucket of them and sell them?  Doesn't seem like anyone else is trying to make a buck here except the metal worker.  And why shouldn't he?  That's what he does for a living!
Past: '84 KZ700, '91 VFR750
Current: '02 CONCOURS (Smooooth Project #3)
Torque cams, 7th gear, SiSF carb treatment, 2MM, free power upgrade, 17" wheels, Sonic 1.1kg with GVEs, Spiegler brake lines.

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10807
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 01:09:55 pm »

Really?  You're gonna your nose bent outta shape because someone 'stole' THAT design?  It's not like you re-invented the wheel. Why don't/didn't you make a bucket of them and sell them?  Doesn't seem like anyone else is trying to make a buck here except the metal worker.  And why shouldn't he?  That's what he does for a living!
  This...
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 07:38:02 pm »

This...

Well, if either of you two wish to purchase some, shoot me a p/m or email, and I can abide.... if not, then we dont need any further discusion on what I feel about other's senses of morality in regards to people making money.
In reality, and to be 100% truthful, the location and similar shape was from a close friend, but they made thiers from some pretty flimsy aluminum sheet, that would not support the weight of the lights I wished to use... he didnt keep them on the bike for long; at that time i had not even owned a Conni...when i bought one, and when I decided to improve upon the idea, and utilize a specific more robust material, that only required cutting, not drilling or bending, I shared it never intending to profit from it. This floated around for 13 years, without anyone finding the need for profit on them. Originally there were drawings of the original, and some "other" creations, like custom component specific wiring harnesses... posted for COG use, but when people wanted to produce them for profit, those were removed for the exact same reason...he and I are pretty like minded, and both of us were always willing to offer a "glass of lemonade" for free, just dont take the whole pitcher and set up a lemonade stand... ::)
I've promised the BOD id refrain from rude commentary online, and will not be drawn into such.
If you wish to discuss my feelings on morals, feel free to in person at the national, next summer... I'll be happy to speak face to face.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 08:13:20 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline Dan

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12655
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 06:26:28 pm »
I have to be honest, i didn't understand why everyone was adding additional lights to the bike, most bikes I've had in the past were fine for me. Well, i didn't understand til i ran out to walmart last night. First ride in the dark.....High beams are great...low beams....what low beams.....I just found my next project :)
2002 Concours ZG1000

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 11:03:13 pm »
Yep, the Connie has some great attributes, but the headlight sure ain't one of them!

Also... You know, it's easy for most people to see why the metal worker and the metal supplier should get paid for their work. It's not so obvious but just as valid that the design engineer should get paid also.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • Cruise Control
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 11:24:56 pm »
Yep, the Connie has some great attributes, but the headlight sure ain't one of them!

I tend to agree AND disagree with that.  The factory (halogen) headlamp (and its wiring) is kinda pitiful,
but it is a decent conspicuity light...   that big honkin' light does show well when it's oncoming during the day.
Recently I've swapped to the LED headlight set-up, and it's much better for night riding. The aux lights light up further
down the road, and the ditch... but the LED isn't half bad on its own, and that's said with aging eyes.  Definitely puts
the halogen in its place.

Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

Offline Dan

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12655
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 07:47:11 pm »

I tend to agree AND disagree with that.  The factory (halogen) headlamp (and its wiring) is kinda pitiful,
but it is a decent conspicuity light...   that big honkin' light does show well when it's oncoming during the day.
Recently I've swapped to the LED headlight set-up, and it's much better for night riding. The aux lights light up further
down the road, and the ditch... but the LED isn't half bad on its own, and that's said with aging eyes.  Definitely puts

Where did you get your LED setup?
2002 Concours ZG1000

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • Cruise Control
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2017, 10:29:10 am »

Where did you get your LED setup?

Amazon, and ADVMonster

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017M566T4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://stores.advmonster.com/model-20-light-kit-with-harness/
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2017, 01:54:30 pm »
Yeah, I wonder just where that original design did come from?

And quite frankly, never did consider the design flimsy for the lamps they were intended (in my instance) to carry; never had an issues with that. However, they did come off after it became apparent that any oops or qualification for the CDA ranks destroyed some pretty expensive plastic - twice.

Lights are nice, but I can't afford the price.

Original home brew variety:

Vendor fab'd from supplied drawings:

This drawing of the "flimsy design" has been in the Public Domain since a mid/late 2002 Concourier when it appeared in one of my Chronicles column. Other than holding some add-on lights, it has NO relevance what-so-ever to MOB's design.

:67:

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 11:01:30 am by connieklr »
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC