Author Topic: Interesting idea to replace spark plugs. Only work with a "tier 1" supplier. Hah  (Read 282 times)

Offline LeeM

• Bicycle
  • Maintain it for 120 drive it like I'm 70
    • Working on ways to save our asses.
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12454
  • Membership Level: Active
https://tech.slashdot.org/story/19/06/26/2052213/swapping-spark-plugs-for-nanopulses-could-boost-engine-efficiency-by-20-percent

Following links in the Slashdot article. The company Transient Power Systems principal product is a power supply.  Reading the SSPG-20X — 15 ns pulse generator description I see this. The device makes pulses 15 nanoseconds in duration with 20k to 30k peak voltage. The generator makes 10k pulses per second, A 15 nanosecond pulse moving at the speed of light would  move 4.5 meters from beginning to end. In ham radio terms, 15 e-9 seconds x 300 km/sec is wavelength in megaherz or  64 megaherz in ham radio continuous wave terms. But this device only makes 10k of these extremely high voltage pulses per second. The power required by the pulse generator is 400 volts at 2.5 amperes, or about 1000 watts.

http://transientplasmasystems.com/products/

What the article does not describe is how this high voltage pulse is routed through the engine compartment and what kind of spark device seems to make a spikey halo in one of the attached unattributed promotional videos. The attached promotional articles mentioned that gasoline engine refinement is still underway with a couple ignition systems that facilitate lean burn and low combustion temperature. Which gives me an idea, I wonder if  the direct coil ignition from a 2000 vintage Honda four might not fit into a Kawasaki cylinder head?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 02:57:01 am by LeeM, Reason: Say more »

Offline Brooke_Benfield_OR

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 2185
All well and good....but....we really don't need sparks to get gasoline to burn in an engine.

Honda tested the concept in the Paris-Dakar several years ago. GM is working on it and Mazda is delivering it soon. It's called Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition and works a lot like a diesel engine. The Honda example used a sparkplug fired by a traditional ignition system under certain conditions but the rest of the time it was offline.  :-\
Brooke Benfield  2013 FJR1300  COG #2185

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Aren't the stick coils that are being used on the C-10's about the same as the Honda system you mentioned?

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 1608
And the supposed benefit?
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
They advertise;  Swapping Spark Plugs For Nanopulses Could Boost Engine Efficiency By 20 Percent ..  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
                                                         :85: :85: :85:

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
I can do better than that by slowing down on the slab and twisties.
I can easily get 60 MPG on my C14
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 2015 "Greendammit"
https://harrymartincartoons.com