Author Topic: Intermittant total loss of electrical power while in motion  (Read 742 times)

Offline 2linby

• Iron Butt
  • I rode today, did you?
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 5539
  • Membership Level: Active
I've recently experienced several momentary (second to milliseconds) loss of electrical power while riding. Tach drops out and it is as if the cut off switch or ignition switch was turned off, but of course it was not.

Bike runs great, starts every time.  But this occasional power loss is an issue I have to figure out.  Anyone with potential leads let me know.

1) Cleaned and di-electric grease on the cut off switch.
2) Cleaned and checked all connections including battery
3) Checked coil connections
4) Checked plug wires and connections
5) Checked all other potential electrical connections.

Maybe not incidentally my turn signals sometimes do not work, just running solid.

Thanks all!
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by" "Everything is simple, but nothing is easy".
Ex NWAD, AAD, COG #5539, IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor, Mentor 2001 Sonic Blue  166K and counting!
http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BBG)
http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip

Offline stevedap

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10998
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Re: Intermittant total loss of electrical power while in motion
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 10:03:25 pm »
Does your clock reset back to 12:00 when you lose electrical power? If it doesn't reset, it might be something like a failing connector or wire somewhere along the kill switch circuit where you can't easily get to.
“Never underestimate the difficulty of changing false beliefs by facts.” --- Henry Rosovsky

"The task is... not so much to see what no one has yet seen, but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees." --- Erwin Schrödinger

Online Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 10:13:36 pm »
Did you check the white wire with red stripe below the jbox and its bullet connector? I had a bad connection there and it killed everrrythinnng while riding in the boonies. When I removed the side cover it must of been enough to fix the connection to get me going. When I got home I started poking around and found a warm connection and when I moved all went dark. Cleaned the connection and clamped down on the female side to tighten up the connection.
Good luck.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline norm-9688

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7011
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 10:33:43 pm »
Bob, given the miles on your bike I would check the ignition switch,  try wiggling the key and see if it stumbles or anything. You might also wiggle the harness that comes off the steering head from under the ignition switch, I bet you have turned the bars a few times at this point and the harness might be getting weak in a spot there.

Offline JPavlis_CA

• San Jose CA
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 2293
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 10:47:48 pm »
Bob - I had a similar problem last summer. Total loss of power as if the ignition switch had been turned off (did GM make the switch?). I had to cycle the key off and back on to restart. As the problem worsened, it started acting like the typical j-box problem because I had to thump it after cycling the key. Eventually that didn't work, so I suspected the main relay. But I eliminated that with a spare j-box.

Tracing voltages with a meter, I found low voltage to starter relay trigger circuit. It turned out to be a short on the trigger side of the relay that started out as in intermittent problem before totally failing.
The reason thumping the j-box worked for a bit is I was jostling the relay at the same time.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 10:53:10 pm by JPavlis_CA »
All God's male children tend to be low-life, sleaze-ball, early apexers - Terry Earwood, Chief Instructor, Skip Barber Racing School.

Offline 2linby

• Iron Butt
  • I rode today, did you?
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 01:37:56 am »
Thanks for the replies everyone!  :great:  I hope that I found the issue. The main 30 amp J-box fuse was extremely loose. I will be riding tomorrow an hope this simple fix of replacing the fuse with a new one (which was a tight fit) will do the trick. Everything else seemed to be ok. But I will be removing the tank, as soon as I empty it by mileage, I'll continue checking the harness up to the ignition and as I stated I already took the cut off switch apart for a cleaning and all was well with it.  We'll see tomorrow!

Thanks again.  :)
Ex NWAD, AAD, COG #5539, IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor, Mentor 2001 Sonic Blue  166K and counting!

Offline Nosmo

• Crotch Rocket
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 04:00:01 am »
Bob, I've posted this before, you may have seen it.  This is what happens when a fuse clip in the J-box gets loose and causes high resistance/high heat.   When it happened everything went dead.  This is why I now carry a complete spare J-box.

pics below
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline 2linby

• Iron Butt
  • I rode today, did you?
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 03:31:38 pm »
Nosmo,

Thanks for the reminder!   :-\  The 30 amp fuse was very loose, but all the others tight as new. I guess 161k worth of riding vibrations puts just a little slack in some thinks. Carrying a spare j-box is probably a good idea!   :great:

I'll probably remove the j box back and recheck, solder, as required, the connections and tighten up the fuse connections as well.

Offline 2linby

• Iron Butt
  • I rode today, did you?
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 10:21:57 pm »
SO it is not the loose fuse. Today it died several times and I had to turn off the ignition switch and turn it back on (fun while in motion). So now I am stuck on the removal of the ignition switch. There are two fasteners from underneath that seem not to be a nut and bolt or stud arrangement. Anyone have a clue as to how to remove the ignition switch without removing the top of the triple tree? and if not how to remove those fasteners?

Thanks!