Author Topic: Is a riser needed/available for Murph bar adapter?  (Read 266 times)

Offline crag antler

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8277
  • Membership Level: Active
Is a riser needed/available for Murph bar adapter?
« on: April 14, 2019, 08:13:51 pm »
So the question is, if I go with the handlebar adapter from Murph's, can I get a bar riser or is it even needed?
I would most likely go with the superbike bend as I've used it in the past on both my KZ1000J and GS1100ED.
Have the riser on the stock bars and like the comfort level in relation of the Murphs kneesavers.
Thanks
Doug aka crag antler
00 Kawasaki Concours 60,000+ miles. Bar risers, Murphs kneesavers, blockoff plates, allen head screw set,headlight upgrade. LED headlight, driving lights, JC Whitney trunk, Go Pro mount,’06 header w/Jet-Hot ceramic coating, over flow tubes and Performance Exhaust Sprocket by SISF

Online Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
Re: Is a riser needed/available for Murph bar adapter?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 08:31:34 pm »
When I had the storz adapter, I was running risers with that.  It's up to you whether you need them or not.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 09:08:51 pm »
the whole "concept" on those adapters is that you can pick and choose any style tubular bars (based on height/pullback/width, etc.,) you may want... so adding "risers" is kind of a waste... you can see by the photo, that the bar 'pivot point" is actually about 3" above the tripple tree already, so again, adding another "riser below" is no benefit at all... I've had them on both my C10's, with low wide bars, which I love (superbike and Daytona bends)... you can find something out there for less than $30 that will fit your "dimensions" for sure...

I'm sure you read my post
http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-c10-zg1000-general-chat-and-tech/slow-speed-maneuvering/msg665264/#msg665264

so go online, and look at what bars you can find at Bikemaster, and Iron Pony, and other aftermarket places...
https://bikemaster.com/motorcycle-replacement-parts/control/handlebars.html?limit=all&store=

most people that by the Murph mount, do it so they can use a higher bar, that they can "rotate" back for shorter reach... I like the bars I used, because they are "flatter/wider/less wrist bend" for my ergo's.. most people never get that part of the concept, and I find them less fatiguing in the end result.
best of luck, those mounts turned my C10's into much better handling bikes, and have given me hours of enjoyable aggressive riding, which none of the "stock bars" ever did for me... the lack of "pain" between my shoulder blades became a blessing, and not having my elbows digging into my ribs all the time when negotiating Twisties... well... I can't say enough about that...
 :great: :motonoises: :motonoises:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 09:43:23 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into an FJR !!!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7055
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 11:02:36 pm »
I ran two sets of risers under my Storz bar adaptor for many years. I also used the Daytona bars from Bikemaster. Sometimes you have to re-route cables and hoses depending on how the bars work with riders. Two to three inches of slack can be had on the throttle cables by moving them to the right side of the main frame tube. The only cable I ever had to buy longer was an extended choke cable
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Online Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 10:45:47 am »
One problem with the OP's question is that ergonomic likes and dislikes are HIGHLY personal.  MOB likes the daytona bars without risers, while someone else likes them with one or two sets of risers.  If I just had longer arms, I might have been happy with the daytona bars.  You have only one person to make happy.  That is you.  Nobody else can tell you what is going to feel good to your body dimensions and personal tastes.  I think the best advice that I can give you, is to go to a COG event and see the many ways a C10 can be set up.  Seats fall into this category as well.  Best of luck making your C10 fit YOU. :motonoises: :)
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline Rick

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 06:23:11 pm »
So the question is, if I go with the handlebar adapter from Murph's, can I get a bar riser or is it even needed?
I would most likely go with the superbike bend as I've used it in the past on both my KZ1000J and GS1100ED.
Have the riser on the stock bars and like the comfort level in relation of the Murphs kneesavers.
Thanks

I installed storz adapter and Rox risers came as a used package deal. I can move my bars up down and back with the Rox risers attached to the storz adapters. I used a set of BMW K 100 handle bars I picked up for $25.00. Best thing I have ever done to help with riding in the upright position. you can pick up BMW bars for under $50.00. Warning if you use BMW bars your anti vibration weights will not the BMW handle bars.
Ride Safe.

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 03:36:28 pm »
I'm with MoB - the risers are for bikes where you already have a bar shape you like but lack either the pull back or rise.

If you're going to be buying bars anyway, why not just buy the bar shape/rise/pullback you like?

I have a similar type of adapter (not sure who made it, but got it from a fellow CoGer), and found a set of adjustable bars from an 80's Honda Shadow or something similar (can't remember, totally random find in a random junkyard in Richmond). I've still been considering the Moxi handlebars (kind of a cheaper knock-off of Heli's).