Author Topic: J-Box compatibilty?  (Read 372 times)

Offline TinDog

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12674
  • Membership Level: Active
J-Box compatibilty?
« on: July 04, 2014, 05:40:23 am »
I tried searching, but couldn't find what I needed.  Someone recently posted about buying an eBay J-box, but found the wiring was different than the box they were replacing.  I'm find myself in need of a replacement now for my 2005 bike.  What model years will fit my bike without modification?    Is the modification straight forward enough to make it a non-issue?

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9506
Re: J-Box compatibilty?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 11:23:49 am »
Looking at the diagrams in my Clymer manual, as long as you have a US or Canada bike, and you get a Jbox from another US or Canada bike, they are the same for all years, 1986-2006.  (Well, the manual only claims to cover to 2004, but there are no changes after that.)  The international models and some Australian models have some changes pre/post 1999.

The 1994 model year is when the major changes happened to the bike, but there really shouldn't be any difference in the wiring.  If you want to err on the safe side, go with a '94 or later. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157 
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited - "Outback's Outback"

Offline TinDog

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12674
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 12:26:26 pm »
That's sounding familiar.  Like I said originally , someone here on COG got an eBay j-box, but now that you add your info, I think they did say it came from Europe.  That makes the seach a bit easier (I hope).

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 04:14:37 pm »
I can confirm what Outback John says.  Atone time I plugged in an '88 JBox to my '00 (both US models) and everything worked fine.
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1