Author Topic: jbox rebuild  (Read 5487 times)

Offline davida

• Street Cruiser
  • Dude's gotta ride
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
jbox rebuild
« on: March 03, 2014, 03:06:19 am »
Bucks does this work for a more than fair price, but I gotta DIY.
Cleaning up some electrical issues, and decided to take a crack at a jbox renovation:

Drilled out plastic rivets

New relays from digikey for about 8 bucks
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?WT.z_header=search_go&lang=en&site=us&keywords=255-2080-ND%09&x=10&y=17&formaction=on

De soldering tool from radio shack"

Open Sesame:

Get a 40 watt soldering iron and suck out the liquified solder with desoldering tool:  My 30 wall left a little debris behind.

Soldering the new relays in is super easy.  Desoldering is the hardest part.  I did not glue the box back together,  not sure I need to,, but I might use silicone or some super glue. Powered up!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 04:22:07 pm by davida »
86 Concours no longer in a box.
80 CB750 Honda

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 7653
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: jbox rebuild
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 04:42:29 am »
Never saw the guts on one of those before. and I never even heard of a desoldering tool. Good on ya!
Jenn in "Chaahlston, y'all...."

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 06:22:06 am »
What is the DIGI key part # ?

Offline worncog

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9584
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 12:28:12 pm »
Never saw the guts on one of those before. and I never even heard of a desoldering tool. Good on ya!

aka 'solder sucker'

Part number is on displayed invoice, 250-2080-ND, if I am reading it correctly.
BullFrog, BMWNEF Rally, ...MABDR??

'14 S10, '06 C10, '02 TTR250, '74 R75/6 Hack

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 01:08:30 pm »
When I( re-assemble mine I have silicone it together (first time) but usually just wrap a couple of wraps of electrical tape around it in case I need back in.  Of course I never have needed back in.

Good on ya fer the DIY.  That's the adventuresome, can-do COG spirit.  :great:
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline davida

• Street Cruiser
  • Dude's gotta ride
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 03:23:22 pm »

I added a link to the digikey page. HTH

Thanks for the support Rev.  DIY spirit AKA too cheap to pay for all the work this abused child needs.
80 CB750 Honda

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 03:48:07 pm »
Thats neat, I like that. New relays and everything - Were you having any problems? or just doing preventative. I should inspect my J-box as well, shes not as old as yours, but certainly not new
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 03:50:12 pm »

I added a link to the digikey page. HTH

Thanks for the support Rev.  DIY spirit AKA too cheap to pay for all the work this abused child needs.

Nice work - thanks for the info on the relays.

Personally I hate paying someone to do something that isn't all that technical/difficult to do, and doesn't require too much investment in tools. Aw, heck, that ain't true - I'll even buy expensive tools if it means avoiding someone else workin on my ride!

Connie's JB is rather low tech - not even sure if it's a multi-layer board. Everything is through-hole (meaning connections go through the board rather than just soldered to the surface), and fairly large, which makes it easier to work with.

My one area I still pay for is tire mount and balance...but I plan to change that, even for the cars (balance anyway). The yahoos in most tire shops can't balance a car tire worth two cents, using their electronic "moron-proof" spin balancer. I could do a better job with an old bubble balancer and 4 weights. Of course a bike balancer is completely different than a car balancer...

Offline davida

• Street Cruiser
  • Dude's gotta ride
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 04:53:31 pm »
Thats neat, I like that. New relays and everything - Were you having any problems? or just doing preventative. I should inspect my J-box as well, shes not as old as yours, but certainly not new

I had a buzz in the jbox.  Sounded like a failure coming.  Lots of other electrical stuff: remove a bunch of abandoned accessory wires, find a short in that circuit,  key switch feels wonky,  starter solenoid ?? 

Do we want to coat the connectors with dielectric grease?
80 CB750 Honda

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 06:27:00 pm »

I had a buzz in the jbox.  Sounded like a failure coming.  Lots of other electrical stuff: remove a bunch of abandoned accessory wires, find a short in that circuit,  key switch feels wonky,  starter solenoid ?? 

Bleh, don't even talk to me about abandoned acc. wire. I was ecstatic when I picked up a new engine and frame with untouched stock wiring - my first Connie has a sound system installed, as well as a whole rack of acc. relays. Nevermind a bagillion aux. lights and plugs, the whole electrical system was hacked to bejeezas. Oh, and the key would come out of the ignition while running - I-5 heading North in California, I found that out at my last pitstop. Thankfully I had made a copy the day before  :o

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 08:55:38 pm »

YES.

If nothing else so they come apart a little easier when you next have to touch them. These days I pack every connector with dielectric - cheap insurance against corrosion. Buy the big ole tube of it and save some $$ - those little tubes are expensive per ounce.

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 08:59:38 pm »
Oh, and the key would come out of the ignition while running - I-5 heading North in California, I found that out at my last pitstop. Thankfully I had made a copy the day before  :o

DOH!

I keep a set of spares (bike and saddlebag) keys on my car keychain, and have a 2-key "chain" (keys are screwed together) with ignition and saddlebag keys just for riding. THANKFULLY.

Recently stopped on the side of a back road, hopped off and my glove or jacket hooked the key in the ignition and yanked it out. I heard it hit the bike plastics but for the life of me couldn't figure out where it went (other than down inside the fairing). Took out my spares to open a saddle bag to get a screwdriver...keys were sitting on top of the engine.

Whew! Will ALWAYS ride with a spare.

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 01:31:59 am »
Yeah I learned my lesson, I have several on-hand now, at least two while riding.

Offline PaulP

• Software Engineer
  • Street Cruiser
  • An armed society is a polite society.
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 01:32:48 pm »
I know this is an old thread, but I just noticed it. I wanted to add that you can get a better spring-loaded solder puller called a Soldapult from Digikey that works much better than the little red one shown here. It's more expensive, but you'll get better results and may be less intimidated in the future when faced with desoldering something. Also, as long as you have that little printed circuit board out, look for obvious corrosion and clean it off. If any of the solder connections look iffy, hit them with the iron and reflow them; add a little new solder if necessary but don't overdo it. "The bigger the blob, the better the job" does not apply!
Current: 2006 Concours (Connie Mae)
Previous: 1988 K100LT, 1982 GPZ550

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 06:41:52 pm »
Pluger-type desoldering tools (solder sucker) work great.
As for re-closing the box... I used several strips of Gorilla (one of my favorite repair materials at this time) to keep the sides together. Worked great, and if I ever have to open it again, it will be a piece of cake.

Jorge

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 11:13:49 am »
FYI- If you're pulling the back cover off the J-Box, check the etch which connects to pin 16.  One of the support beams, for lack of a better name, on the back of the cover had practically worn through that etch.  You'll know it because the green masking will be worn off at that location.  I repaired the etch and notched the beam so it wouldn't happen again.  I used aluminum duct tape to seal the box.  Looks very neat but will have to see how long it lasts.

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 02:14:46 pm »
Jim,
Aluminum duct tape can be very durable. I used it to hold together the key fob on our Suburban a couple of years ago, and it has help up very well, even with as much handling as it gets. I expect it will do great on the J-box.

Jorge

Offline Big D

• Training Wheels
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2017, 04:50:29 am »
Any chance of getting some pictures added due to the issues with PhotoBucket?  I am going to try a rebuild but would like some pics for reference.  Thanks.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2017, 11:43:37 am »
Any chance of getting some pictures added due to the issues with PhotoBucket?  I am going to try a rebuild but would like some pics for reference.  Thanks.

There are Photobucket work arounds on the net, at least for Chrome. The pics are showing up for me. The Chrome Web store will have the extension that works. There is a new and old version but the most current one will be available there.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2017, 12:06:47 pm »

There are Photobucket work arounds on the net, at least for Chrome. The pics are showing up for me. The Chrome Web store will have the extension that works. There is a new and old version but the most current one will be available there.

Think I know how to fix a J-Box, but really appreciate the Chrome extension tip for Photobucket. Brings a lot of sites I reference back to life.   :great:
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2017, 04:32:43 pm »
Think I know how to fix a J-Box, but really appreciate the Chrome extension tip for Photobucket. Brings a lot of sites I reference back to life.   :great:

Cheers and  :beerchug:
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline Big D

• Training Wheels
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2017, 12:08:30 am »
I guess that's a no since I don't use Chrome nor do I have any Google accounts.  So be it.  Thanks anyway.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2017, 04:12:48 am »
  When it comes to those electric thingys like the Jbox I send my J-box to ---  http://forum.cog-online.org/buck-sport-touring/rebuit-j-boxes-in-stock/msg0/#new

Good time of the year to get done. I'm one of those people that can screw up anything with electrons in it.   Larry Buck gets'em done right!!
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc