Author Topic: Just bought a 2004 c10  (Read 523 times)

Offline beachbum

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Just bought a 2004 c10
« on: October 17, 2017, 03:45:27 pm »
Missing, surging at erratic rpm but noticeable at 55 to 60 mph in 6th gear. The dealer has it now and cannot duplicate(!) the problem and suggests I am lugging the engine. Now, I know better and I expect this is a carb issue especially since I am seeing about 26 to 28 mpg. So all of you C10 guys, does this ring any bells? I have no maintenance history and there are 47k on the clock. Wonder how long this thing sat in a store room.....

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Just bought a 2004 c10
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 04:11:44 pm »
Carbs are flooding due to incorrect float heights.
Engine is running rich because gas level to high..
   Idles jets also probably plugged..

Contact Steve Sefsick {shoodaben engineering} and have the carbs gone thru right.
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 06:50:57 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 06:00:06 pm »
That's pretty crappy mileage.  Any chance your choke/enrichment linkage is not adjusted correctly?  As connie_rider suggested, float bowl height is critical.  It's actually pretty easy to verify float level with the carbs on the bike.  And while you're there, you can verify whether or not you have overflow tubes by blowing into a hose connected to your bowl drains.

Have you checked your air filter?  Could be disintegrating or grossly over-oiled.

Are you guesstimating your mileage by the gas gauge or calculating it at a fill-up?

Does the missing/surging happen under unique circumstances (crosswinds, low/high temps, only after the engine is well heat soaked)?  Just wondering why the dealer can't duplicate it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 06:04:00 pm by Jim »

Offline beachbum

• Big Wheels
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 09:20:45 pm »
I noticed the problem on my first ride home after purchase so I can't answer you about the choke or air filter but I agree they should be obvious checks. Going to the dealer tomorrow to see for myself what they have checked. Just 160 miles to the dealer, of course everything is a long way from OBX.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 09:41:08 pm »
Carbs are flooding due to incorrect float heights.
Engine is running rich because gas level to high..
   Idles jets also probably plugged..

Contact Steve Sefsick {shoodaben engineering} and have the carbs gone thru right.
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Ride safe, Ted

Watch Steve's videos and he REALLY knows the C10. Like he has done over 500 sets of carbs. He did mine and they are spot on!!! :) :)
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline jettawreck

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 11:14:12 pm »
Save your aggravation and send the carbs to SISF and get the overflow tubes installed (if by some miracle they were already done, that's a bonus). They will be right and better than the dealer by far because certain factory jetting wasn't completely optimal anyways.
Both my 2002 and 2005 were regularly averaging 48+ mpg.
Snowmobiles, I have a bunch.
Motorcycles-I haven't had anything except dirtbikes 30 years ago, so this will be all new to me.
2005 C10 with Rifle w/s, SISF Exhaust sprocket, overflow tubes, 2 minute jet mod. (SOLD)
2004 Honda ST1300-the current mule.

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • Cruise Control
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 12:11:25 am »
When I first got my '06, a dealer did carb work that lasted 7 months.  Shoodaben Engineering (SISF) re worked them, and not an issue since... that was 4 1/2 years ago.  My bike hasn't been back to the Dealer since.
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~17K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 12:31:13 am »
what exactly are you having the dealer do? if they cannot recreate the issue what are they remedying?

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
  • COG#: 8603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 10:55:46 am »
if you are not willing to work on the bike yourself, it would be worth a vacation trip to FL to visit Steve and pay him to do the work instead of the shop.  he's one of VERY few people that has expertise on these bikes.  it would be a rare find if any dealer knew the workings of these bikes like Steve does.

if you ARE a shadetree mechanic, contact Steve for insights and based on his input, remove the carbs and send them to him.  he will turn them around fast.  he always does.
North Carolina AAD
COG, VROC, VBA, IBA, USCA and other TLAs
05 C10, 94 C10, 06 Nomad, 15 CB
https://www.bikepics.com/members/ncdave/

Offline beachbum

• Big Wheels
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 10:29:41 pm »
Thank you for all the input. Saw the dealer today and they will take the C10 back and return my Versys. Seems they want me happy so let me say Ron Ayers Motorsports in Greenville NC is a dealer with integrity.

Offline Bud

• Road Bike
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 10:45:05 pm »
I've bought parts from Ron Ayers and feel as you do that they are stand up guys.  I grew up in a business and can attest to the fact that winning a battle with a customer doesn't mean that you win the war.  Let the customer win in a dispute and the business will win in the long run with a loyal customer base.  We have some coggers that have the same philosophy.  I think we know who they are.....and we appreciate them!

Offline Bucky

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11949
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 10:15:31 pm »
55 in 6th is around 3100 rpm. Most assuredly not lugging, unless maybe you're hill climb racing.

I am inclined to believe that 55 in 6th at  3100 is a sweet spot RPM chosen by the factory, as these bikes are designed for a (1986) 55 mph speed limit. My 04 at 3100 is making happy noises where all the little bitty parts and pieces are playing nicely together. At least that's what my ear is telling me.

That dealer = way way off base suggesting a lugging scenario IMO.

Antique Machinery Junkie