Author Topic: Just installed Audiovox cruise  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Rotty_John

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8462
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Just installed Audiovox cruise
« on: December 29, 2008, 01:00:00 am »
Hello,    I am really happy with unit.     It was tough to get the cruise control linkage attached ended up making some tools with the advice of Dan Bergmen. Quite a challange for me as an aircraft mechanic of 30 years experience it was humbling. I was sure I would have it done it a couple of hours instead it took me a couple of days.     Thank godness for all the COG help and pictures out on the net.  
John Moretz  COG# 8462  2000 Red Concours

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6662
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 08:26:00 am »
John, glad it worked out for you. The cruise control is a mode I have had my eye on but have yet to pull the trigger. I've always thought the best thing about the Connie is all of the support you get from all the loyal owners. I've yet to run into any situation I could not figure out with help from COG. Ride safe.   '02 Connie  COG # 6662  Dallas, Tx
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline Sahagan

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 09:43:00 am »
To me, the Audiovox is my topmost farkle, with tipover bars coming in a close second. I couldn't live without either.    I approach the bike with an attitude of fun regardless of whether I'm riding it, or working on it. It makes the time go by quickly and generally painlessly. The installation of the CC was one of the more difficult jobs, but overall, it would have been worth lots more trouble if it had been required.    Sahagan  

Offline Boburns

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 12:12:00 pm »
To me, the Audiovox is my topmost farkle, with tipover bars coming in a close second. I couldn't live without either.    I approach the bike with an attitude of fun regardless of whether I'm riding it, or working on it. It makes the time go by quickly and generally painlessly. The installation of the CC was one of the more difficult jobs, but overall, it would have been worth lots more trouble if it had been required.    Sahagan
   Absolutely. Dan Bergmen with some help from me installed the Audiovox on my C10s. when I got my FJR1300 I went to Dan and with some help from me, we installed it on the new bike.     I don't think I could do any LD riding without it. I've gone across the country with it.     It's great. You can sleep and not have to worry about slowing down.   ;)    Bob "Flylooper" Burns  COG #5887  E Clampus Vitus, YB#1  '04 FJR 1300    
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 12:12:00 pm by flylooper »
Bob "Flylooper" Burns  COG #5887  Former Editor, The Concourier  E Clampus Vitus, YB#1; '04 FJR 1300

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 01:30:00 pm »
Good job from someone that knows what you went through. My right shoulder thanks me every time I do a real ride.  If you have any troubles with it let us know.  ----------------------------------  I will answer any question.  It is up to you to figure out if I should have.    <p align="left">My Photos<br
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Rock

• Road Bike
  • Ride it if you got it!
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5879
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 01:41:00 pm »
This young 'old' 57 yr male couldn't ride 700 miles like I did the other day without my Audiovox. It has given me some problems at over 75mph and bumpy highways - may cause a short/loose connection or whatever. I should get under the plastic and check all the connections. In general and for most cruising it is an 'arm and hand saver'.     Phil  '99 'lectric  COG#5879  
Phil
COG5879
2013 C14 "SR71"

Offline Roger 123

• Moped
  • COG#: 5903
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 07:16:00 pm »
The Audiovox rules, I liked it so much on my Connie I put one on the Wee as well.  Roger ('07 Wee Strom)  COG 5903  Virginia Beach, VA
Roger '14 Tenere ES, COG 5903, VA Beach, VA

Offline Stealth Connie

• Training Wheels
    • Don B Waln Facebook
  • COG#: 8503
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 08:09:00 pm »
I'm glad to see everyone else like their CC as much as me. I've noticed alot of guys post stuff like GPS as "favorite" Farkle.....  NOT ME!!  
97 Concours Stealth Connie - RIP
98 Concours Mean Green - RIP
98 Concours Black Stallion - Current bike

Offline Wess

• Street Cruiser
  • I had sooner lose my arm than live under tyranny!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 8010
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 08:27:00 pm »
I've noticed alot of guys post stuff like GPS as "favorite" Farkle.....  NOT ME!!    Me neither I thought that was why we had a 7.5 gallon tank.  Respectfully Yours!  Wess Heavner  COG #8010 CDA #0239  
Respectfully Yours! 
Wess Heavner 
Independence, MO 
COG #8010 CDA #0239 ROK# ROK100027795  AMA# 2952749 IBA #38420 2009 Hard Luck Award Winner!

Offline Jaxrider

• Road Bike
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 04:27:00 pm »
Where do you buy the CC from? How much does it cost? Does it fit other bikes? I'm ready for one.  
2002 Kawasaki ZZR1200 for riding with the wife
2004 SV650S for riding solo and on the track
2007 DRZ400SM for riding solo and on the track (lots of fun in 38hp)
Responsible for wrenching on all those plus my daughters' 2007 ZZR 600
US Review http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ro...200/index.html
EU Review http://www.motorbikestoday.com/revie...es/ZZR1200.html

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 12:00:00 pm »
As soon as the words where do I buy come out of your mouth think Murph  http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/index.php?manufacturers_id=28  ----------------------------------  I will answer any question.  It is up to you to figure out if I should have.    <p align="left">My Photos<br
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline raulb

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 10:29:00 pm »
Quote from: Sahagan
To me, the Audiovox is my topmost farkle, with tipover bars coming in a close second. I   couldn't live without either.
   Do you really find the tipover bars THAT important?    I wonder, are these expensive cruise controls really that much better than an inexpensive Caterpillar O-ring?    True, you have to physically roll off when using the O-ring, but . . . ?  
_____________________________________  raulb        2003 Connie  COG #6043  CDA #281  AMA #699463    "It may not be smart or correct, but it's one of the things that make us what we are."    --Red Green, "The New Red

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 03:33:00 pm »
I find the CC almost not worth it compared to the O-ring here in Tx because the ring holds well enough on flat areas.  You go to a state with any real hills on the roads then the CC does much better.  ----------------------------------  I will answer any question.  It is up to you to figure out if I should have.    <p align="left">My Photos<br
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Roger 123

• Moped
  • COG#: 5903
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 09:32:00 pm »
I wonder, are these expensive cruise controls really that much better than an inexpensive Caterpillar O-ring?     True, you have to physically roll off when using the O-ring, but . . . ?
   YES!!!!  Roger ('07 Wee Strom)  COG 5903  Virginia Beach, VA
Roger '14 Tenere ES, COG 5903, VA Beach, VA

Offline Sahagan

• Tricycle
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 11:18:00 pm »
Do you really find the tipover bars THAT important?    The tipover bars not only protect the saddlebags in the event of a drop, but serve as a mounting place for rider's pegs, and driving lights as well.    The rider's pegs fulfill one of the several important elements of rider comfort, just as the AudioVox cruise control does. Both allow you to change seating positions, and to ride with only thumb and forefinger holding the twist grip. A third element isn't important to me, that is the custom seat....since my OEM saddle is the best I've ever sat on, fits me just fine, and so, doesn't enter in to the equation.    In rolling or hilly country, the cruise control maintains the constant speed of the bike, with only about 1 mph variation. An 'O' ring or Vista Cruise throttle lock will not maintain that kind of steady speed, slowing down going up hills and speeding up going down them.    I've noticed, using the cruise control, that you can make better time. Watch, and you'll see the non-cruise equipped vehicle will pass you, then fall back, pass again, fall back again, and finally, fall back far enough for you to gain a commanding lead, all while you're going just one speed. The constant changes in speed cannot be good for gas mileage, and when it's cruise control versus throttle, the cruise control guy will get there first, and most likely, less apt to need a few Tylenol or Advil pills, since he could change seating positions somewhat safely.    All of that is not to say I've tossed my throttle lock. Whenever I'm in heavy traffic, or riding the twisties, I find the throttle lock allows me to get just that few moments of relief I need for my throttle hand. On the longer stretches though, it's cruise control all the way.    Sahagan