Author Topic: KBS vs POR15  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Colin

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'd rather be riding!
    • Facebook
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
KBS vs POR15
« on: December 01, 2008, 11:41:00 pm »
Anyone else with experience of both these products?    I fixed up 2 tanks with POR15 last year, and was very pleased with the results.    I spent the weekend cleaning a Connie and Honda XL250 tank. here is what I found...    I used the full 3 part process: Cleaner, Rust Converter, Sealer in both kits.    The cleaner in both seemed about the same, both removed all the lacquer and oil.    The Rust Converter from POR gave me high confidence that it was working well as the whole of the inside of the tank had a good uniform coat of grey covering, and I could see no evidence of rust. With KBS it did not look as good as I could still see rust covered metal after, and it seemed to take longer to dry.    Sealer: Again here POR appeared to have done a better job. The end result with POR was a nice uniform covering. With KBS it looked at first glance like the covering had not gone over all of the tank as some parts looked silver others not. But when tested the surface it was tacky so it looks like the silver pigment separated from the epoxy.     I did the POR over 12 Months ago so time will tell if the KBS is as good, I have read postings that claim KBS was founded by an Ex POR15 employee who was "let go" and they claim their product is superior.     I'm feeling that I ought to have kept with the product I know and was happy with, I would appreciate any experiences of others success/failure. I go the KBS from Murph so if it's not so good, I'll suggest he looks at POR as an alternative.       Cheers    CP  Colin Prior  Cogmos Committee Chairman  Lake Forest Park WA  COG#7767  
Colin Prior

Offline Greg Habel

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7010
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
KBS vs POR15
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 02:49:00 pm »
I tried POR15 on my 86 Vulcan 750 when I had it.  I thought I followed all the instructions properly but it continued to leak in the same spot.  My guess is that I didn't get all the gas remnants out which prevented the sealant from working properly.  Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude  COG# 7010,a Tracey  CDA 120  99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250  
Greg H from Mass -  MA/ME/NH/VT co-AAD 2012+ with wife Tracey
COG# 7010,a Tracey  CDA 120 (3.0)  99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle"

Offline Rob

• Road Bike
KBS vs POR15
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 03:31:00 pm »
I'm about to have experience with both.  I did my Concours tank a couple of years ago with POR-15, and the results are excellent.  I am going to do a KLR 250 tank in the next few days with KBS.  Probably be able to compare notes at the IMS show.   ;)  

Offline Colin

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'd rather be riding!
    • Facebook
KBS vs POR15
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 11:29:00 pm »
Hey Rob;    I really hope you have better results than I did.  I'm trying to get some photo's but its hard to get a good quality image of the inside of the tank.    Look forward to seeing you at the Show and comparing notes. I may well give KBS a call or send an email.  Colin Prior  Cogmos Committee Chairman  Lake Forest Park WA  COG#7767  
Colin Prior