Author Topic: K&N vs. HiFlo oil filters  (Read 896 times)

Offline GKreamer

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12323
  • Membership Level: Active
K&N vs. HiFlo oil filters
« on: May 03, 2018, 01:56:53 pm »
I'll try to post pics later, but a local motorcycle dealer said that a HiFlo oil filter is the same as a K&N oil filter and that they are both not as good as Wix oil filters.  Bought a HiFlo from him, but I think the K&N is better- it looks to have two times the pleats.  More pleats=more surface are to filter the oil, no?

Been riding this week with the great weather and shifting was getting "sticky" and it had been a year since my last oil change.  I usually change in the spring when riding season gets here.  Shifting smoothness restored!

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
Re: K&N vs. HiFlo oil filters
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 02:13:27 pm »
I try not to go by what the oil filter looks like.

I judge filters by their efficiency rating.
My current favorite is the BOSCH 3323 at 99% efficient.

If I can't get that, then the SuperTech ST7317 for filtering out harmful contaminants.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 02:29:46 pm by Harry Martin »
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"
Please buy my Road Rash Motorcycle Cartoon Book

Offline GKreamer

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 08:51:58 pm »
Thanks Harry for that info, appreciate it!

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into and FJR !!!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7055
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 09:24:37 pm »
I used Fram 7317 Tough Guard filters on my C-10's SPOOFAK adaptor for many years with zero issues.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 09:59:35 pm »
Thanks Harry for that info, appreciate it!

Yea...butt, butt, I just noticed...you are on a C10. The part numbers I quoted are for the C14. My bad...sorry.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"
Please buy my Road Rash Motorcycle Cartoon Book

Offline jettawreck

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 11:24:11 pm »
Unless your engine/transmission is grinding itself to bits any oil filter will be fine at the intervals most oil change schedules are designed for. I've dissected a fair number of oil and diesel fuel filters and have found nothing of importance in any, regardless of quality (perceived or known).
Worry less.
Snowmobiles, I have a bunch.
Motorcycles-I haven't had anything except dirtbikes 30 years ago, so this will be all new to me.
2005 C10 with Rifle w/s, SISF Exhaust sprocket, overflow tubes, 2 minute jet mod. (SOLD)
2004 Honda ST1300-the current mule.

Offline GKreamer

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 12:17:09 am »
Great info.  I will admit having heard Fram are not very good (bobistheoilguy.com) as far as filters go, good to hear that may be inaccurate.

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9921
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 12:19:59 am »
I've only had one oil filter show considerable 'defect' in 35 years.  I use the oil filter they have in stock at autozone.
No... I don't remember the brand name, it lasts 5k miles every time.... win.  I do use Hi-flo air filters... and they work fine.  ;D
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators, Fork Brace - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8645
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 01:05:07 pm »

Been riding this week with the great weather and shifting was getting "sticky" and it had been a year since my last oil change.  I usually change in the spring when riding season gets here.  Shifting smoothness restored!

If you only change your oil once a year, I suggest you change it right before you put it away for the winter, that way your not letting it sit for long period's of time with old acidic oil.  The last ride of the year for me is to top of the gas, then I change the oil when I get home, fire it up to let the new oil get all through the engine and put it to bed for the winter.
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours / 2014 Kawasaki Concours 1400  COG memb# 8645

Offline Doc

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12697
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 01:35:17 pm »
Be careful with K&N - I had the top nut fail a few years ago on my VFR800 and it was not pretty. Lots of discussion on other forums about this flaw.

Offline GKreamer

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 12:53:43 am »
Thank you all again for the recommendations, I'll change in the winter, in my area there are usually a few days each month where it's nice enough to ride even through winter- though not very many so I'll change it earlier like recommended.  The K&N's I use are cartridge style since I lack a SPOOFAK on my C10.