Author Topic: Knocked Over  (Read 506 times)

Offline Chris

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12762
  • Membership Level: Active
Knocked Over
« on: July 10, 2018, 08:37:33 pm »
My '95 was knocked over in a parking lot.  Damage to right side mirror, rubber trip at fairing is scuffed pretty bad and the air deflector broke the fairing where it mounts to the fairing.  Pretty sure I can get a new mirror and rubber trim but could use some advice on what to do about the broken fairing/air deflector mount.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline danodemotoman

• Sport Tourer
  • Yo Ho, Yo HO, it's a bikers life for me!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 2877
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Knocked Over
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 10:33:34 pm »
 ABS glue for fairing.
 After that cures I use drywall tape, the net type (fiberglass) with JB weld to reinforce from the backside after sanding to promote adhesion.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 11:25:07 pm »
Murph's sells ABS plastic repair stuff, but it can also be found online...
I would use strips of this, as a reinforcing "backer" before relying on drywall mesh (plastic fiberglass coated, unknown plasitcizer)
I had a minor crack that was repaired in that manner on my '86, prior to my purchase, and it held 'for a while', but ended up failing.. JB Weld is awesome stuff, no doubt, but sometimes it's not up to the task, and in my case it didn't stick 'forever', only 3 years.
ABS backer sheets
https://tinyurl.com/ybo3zxk7

also, the ABS glue, is the BLACK stuff, from Oaty, don't waste mony on the "low VOC / multi plastic" stuff, get the ABS specific stuff, if you want it to weld and work properly.

this is the stuff..
https://www.oatey.com/2372464/Product/Oatey-ABS-Medium-Bodied-Black-Cement

or better yet

https://www.oatey.com/2371348/Product/Oatey-Extra-Special-Medium-Black-ABS-Cement

the can I have, the "original one" that worked, was a purple can... can't find it anymore.

when adding "backing material", abrade the surfaces of both parts well, using a 60-80 grit sandpaper, and then clean the area using MEK. dry it well, before applying the ABS cement, the flat surfaces need some "tooth" to allow the cement to melt into, and homogenize both pieces to "weld".
proior to the glueing, have some means (wood blocks, clamps, bungies, etc,) of putting pressure on the bonding area, to assist in the weld process... this also goes for the actual "break" you apply cement to, but unlike when you add a backer strip, the actual "break" should not be touched, other than cleaned with MEK, to insure all the "fracture" can be aligned and glued without having to add anything other than the cement.
 and pressure to create that bond.

once glued, don't be a "Patty Peeper, Oven Peeker" ( I call my wife that, realllly gets he p/o'd,  because she can't resist opening the oven door, releasing the heat, when something is cooking... and I have to say... "great job, now the oven needs another 10 minutes to come back to the temperature you dropped 40* off of...")
 :)) :)) >:( :)) :))

let it set overnight, don't come back an hour later, and release the pressure, or start flexing the thing.. let the glue work... it does... just let it set.

best of luck, we been fixing ABS for 30 years now... and always find new ways.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 12:09:37 am by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline GeorgeRYoung

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 12:10:01 am »
Here's a blurb for  a 250 Ninja.

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Plastics_repair_with_ABS_cement

And you can make your own ABS cement with ABS chips dissolved in acetone.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 12:29:32 am »
yes, you can ATTEMPT to make this glue, but I'll tell you it isn't "that simple"..
I've done it, and made it, but in reality the proportions are pretty critical.

First off, you need ABS plastic... so, an old broken piece of ABS fairing can be used... but, it needs to be 'sanitized'... i.e., you have to remove all contaminants, like PAINT, and other stuff...
then you can get on with "making a disolvable" substrate powder... this is easiest done, using a "sureform" tool, a grater if you want to call it that. So then, you spend a half hour 'grating' a piece of ABS into a small partical/powdery format..
it takes the proportions by weight and volumn, to correctly create this "welding glue"
Pour 50mL of acetone into your container.
add in 8g of ABS scrap.

stir it, shake it, and cover it sealed up overnight...

then you have a usable ( somewhat) 'glue"

you just cant 'snip some plastic into some Acetone' and expect it to work... it won't. It's a 'menu' thing, and Acetone as a solvent, is funny about the proportions of solids to liquid, to 'work'..

hope that helps, but do what you will.. :truce: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Greenie

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 1019
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 06:10:55 am »
I have had pretty good luck with this product:  http://www.plasti-mend.com/cart/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 10:26:27 am »
I've had success with plastic welding C10 fairing cracks (ABS), even if only to secure the pieces where I want them before trying to work with the ABS glue.  You can use a regular soldering iron for this.

Some of my repairs have been plastic welded only from the back side, and have held up great.

On more stressed areas, I've also reinforced the back of repairs where cosmetics isn't an issue, using ABS strips attached with ABS glue.

Quick note - the black plastic in C10 inner fairing and saddle bags will NOT work with ABS or any other type of glue as it is Polypropylene.  Plastic welding is the ONLY thing I've found to work on that. 

You can also shore up PP repairs by plastic welding reinforcement PP strips.
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830 - - C10 Stuff For Sale - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10807
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 12:33:07 pm »
#1 on the Oatey Black. Rebuilt my front fender and belly pan with it . Very strong repair if you let it sit for a day or so.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline The Wizard

• Been riding since I was 9 yrs.old.getting to be old fart.
  • Crotch Rocket
  • 'match need with source(used parts)'
    • have a need find a source/parts are parts
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11328
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 04:38:04 am »
I reinforce with a washer on either or both sides.    Jerry
1964 Honda 55,1971 Honda CL 100,numerous Honda 350 twins,1971 Honda CL 450,1974 Honda CB 750(stolen),1971 Moto Guzzi Ambasador/Velorex sidecar,1975 Kawasaki Z1B
1976 Honda Goldwing (fully dressed)1973 Honda CB 450,1982 Yamaha Virago 750
1977 BMW R100/7(full dress) later Velorex sidecar mounted,1978 Yamaha XS750,1987 BMW K100RS
1996 Honda shadow 1100 ace,2000 Kawasaki Concours,1998,99,98,98+88,90+99 Concours for resurrection           CDA#540

Offline cornponious

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 10:55:28 am »
 Or even better, order OEM replacement faring parts from any OEM reseller. They come already painted to match your bike.

Offline MikeH_OH

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 04:26:59 pm »
I used a two part plastic specific epoxy from Advance Auto (my body-man neighbor recommended it) to repair the right side at the turn signal as well as the right side fairing. Slathered it on on the inside, body filled the cracks on the outside, painted... Time will tell!
If you are, as I did, working with a running crack in the body work, drill a 1/8" hole in the end of it to relieve the stress. Fill with epoxy or body filler.

Better yet, do as I say, not as I did. Don't drop your bike!