Author Topic: Leaky Carb Boots  (Read 2070 times)

Offline greenconnie

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Leaky Carb Boots
« on: July 10, 2014, 01:53:05 pm »
Good Morning Everyone
So my new concours has been running rough after a spirited ride (7000 rpm rev a few times) and I discovered the issue is the carb boot between the cylinder 4 and the air box doesn't fit quite tight on the carb side.  If I cover the carb boot with duct tape to seal the whole, bike runs fine.. Sounds like I just need to replace the carb boot (the spring clamp is present)
Is there something else I should check while I remove the airbox to replace the boots? ( i have a newer set from my 1998 that died)  Perhaps there is some restriction in the airbox?  Bike runs good once I cover the leaky side of the boot.

Thanks
Kevin

Offline davida

• Street Cruiser
  • Dude's gotta ride
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
Re: Leaky Carb Boots
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 02:20:30 pm »
I'm wondering if you can reach into the airbox to install the new boot.  I bet its half a day or more to get an airbox out and in.
86 Concours no longer in a box.
80 CB750 Honda

Offline MotoCommuter

• Kurt Brown - SE AAD GA
  • Crotch Rocket
  • If it is not fun, why do it?
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 7115
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 02:30:21 pm »
There is a specific way the boots are installed. Look at the carb boot that fits into the air box. There should be a flat/straight section which should be aligned with a seam (between #3 & #4) on the air box. On the #4 it should be facing towards the #3.
Beat The Summer Heat [NC]: Jul 31-Apr 2
Run With The Wolf [GA]: Sep 10-13
2015 Goldwing ABS & 2014 FJR ES (Holland Custom)

Offline greenconnie

• Tricycle
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 02:36:45 pm »
Rather than having to pull the ari box and replace the boot.. Is there a way to seal lip of the carb/boot ?
On the outside of the carb, you can see where the boot is not tight and that is where the air leak is..
I wish I had a picture handy..

Offline MotoCommuter

• Kurt Brown - SE AAD GA
  • Crotch Rocket
  • If it is not fun, why do it?
  • COG#: 7115
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 03:11:09 pm »
I would not try to seal up the gap on the carb boot, they are made to fit correctly, something is not quite right with your carb installation, which is causing it to have a gap.

You don't have to remove the air box to remove the boot. Pop the springs off the boot/carb. Loosen the two bolts holding the air box in place, this will allow you to shift it back slightly.  This should allow you to make sure the boots are in place correctly and allow you to reset the airbox/boots back onto the carb. You may also have to remove or loosen the bands that hold the carb manifold boot to the carb.

FYI, there are specific boots for the #2 & #4 (Kawasaki PN 14073-1225) and #1 & #3 (Kawasaki PN 14073-1224) carbs.
Beat The Summer Heat [NC]: Jul 31-Apr 2
Run With The Wolf [GA]: Sep 10-13
2015 Goldwing ABS & 2014 FJR ES (Holland Custom)

Offline Nosmo

• Sport Tourer
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 03:36:35 am »
I'm wondering if you can reach into the airbox to install the new boot.  I bet its half a day or more to get an airbox out and in.

YES.  That's how you do it.  Assuming you have normal human-sized hands, because if you are a giant than you'll have problems, there isn't much room in there.   Pull the air filter element, remove the carb boot retaining springs and clamps, reach into the airbox and pull the boot into the airbox and out.  You can aid the pull-through by pushing gently on the boot flange from the front with a wide-bladed screwdriver or such to help force the boot flange through the opening in the airbox.  Also, if they are old and stiff, try softening them with a heat gun or hairdryer.  Or if your are just going to scrap them, then cut the crap out of them with a razor knife and pull out the remains. 

Note that you CANNOT remove the airbox with the carb rack in place.  Well, not without a chainsaw, anyway.  The normal order of assembly is airbox, carbs, boots.
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline greenconnie

• Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 03:36:12 pm »
I replace the carb boot with a softer one from my 1998.. and bike was happy for about 6 weeks.. Again last night, the silly boot has migrated again and now she runs like crap..  I'm thinking some sealing tape will be in order until I have time to move the entire carb assembly to bring carb 4 closer to the air box..
Any other thoughts?

Offline davida

• Street Cruiser
  • Dude's gotta ride
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 04:08:02 pm »
I'm cheap as heck (or so my wife tells me), but I sprung for new  intake ducts.  For 12 bucks each life became a little easier.

14073: DUCT,AIR INTAKE
80 CB750 Honda

Offline greenconnie

• Tricycle
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 04:20:33 pm »
Hi Davida
From where did you get them?  What sub part number?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 04:24:31 pm »
I replace the carb boot with a softer one from my 1998.. and bike was happy for about 6 weeks.. Again last night, the silly boot has migrated again and now she runs like crap..  I'm thinking some sealing tape will be in order until I have time to move the entire carb assembly to bring carb 4 closer to the air box..
Any other thoughts?

10 minut job, loosen the 2 bolts holding the bottom of the airbox, and jamb that sucker forward...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 05:21:04 pm »
Even though I spent good time making sure the boots were into the air box correctly once it was on the bike one of my boots did not mate well with the carb and was leaking.  It may have been the three times I put the carbs in and out but some how one boot was not in the air box correct and had to be to seal correct to the carb.  It sure looked correct but proof was in the correcting.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 05:30:17 pm »
Position is critical, also which boot sits where, as they differ... along with this comes the front boots, which also must be installed correctly, with the little square tab siting @ 12 o'clock, those have a slight offset angle iirc, and make a difference in the angle of attack.
I noticed this when I was doing a 36mm install, using Ninja carbs and front boots.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline greenconnie

• Tricycle
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 02:24:17 am »
Hi There

So I have the Carb Boot in my hand (part 14073-1225) stamped on the boot for number 4.
So as I look at the boot.. how does it fit?  A 'little square tab' was mentioned, which i see embedded in the groove of the boot, or is it the small little nub on top of the boot where the seam comes together?  If I put the small little nub at the 12 oclock position, the orientation of the boot puts the part number facing you, which is how I had it installed. 
Seem right?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 02:36:49 am by greenconnie »

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 12:50:42 pm »
That little square tab in the groove of the boot has to go into the corresponding notch in the airbox. If I recall it is at the 6 o'clock position. Look at the airbox you will see the square notch.
Southern Connecticut.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline Trapshooter2

• Trapshooter
  • Bicycle
  • Never allow your Dog to guard your food!
  • COG#: 11753
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 02:46:24 am »
Just had my carbs and airbox out of my '98 two weekends ago. Steve has a good video on YouTube showing how to remove and replace both. Not as big of a job as one would think.

Murph's Kits has replacement boots.

Good Luck...........
1998 ZG1000 (aka: The Green Hornet)

Offline davida

• Street Cruiser
  • Dude's gotta ride
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 02:53:29 am »
80 CB750 Honda

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 03:15:05 am »
$56 shipped for the set from our friends at Murphskits.

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_94&products_id=218
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold