Author Topic: LED headlight bulbs vs Sylvania Silverstar Halogen ?  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 6830
  • Membership Level: Active
LED headlight bulbs vs Sylvania Silverstar Halogen ?
« on: June 29, 2018, 04:20:39 pm »
This thread:  http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-c10-zg1000-general-chat-and-tech/melted-another-headlight-plug/

Brought up these LED's as headlamp options:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-HB2-9003-980W-147000LM-CREE-COB-LED-Headlight-Kit-High-Low-6000K-Bulbs-Power-/263588030843?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

I've been using Sylvania's 55/60 Silverstar bulbs in my C10 for years.

I rewired standard OEM socket to run Hi and Low separately from the JBox on relays powered from the battery which really improved the lighting from stock.

I don't know much about LED's for headlights.

How do these they compare with halogens for:

Brightness / spread?

Wattage draw?

Heat generation?

Can they be used in the standard C10 socket? 
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830 - - C10 Stuff For Sale - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline works4me

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10594
Re: LED headlight bulbs vs Sylvania Silverstar Halogen ?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 04:50:50 pm »
Keep in mind, any LED bulb used is being installed
in a headlight designed for a halogen bulb.
While the light will be brighter and whiter it
will also be more diffused. They may impress in
the garage and if you want to be seen, great.
If you want to see, not so much. Much of the
output will not be focused down the road.

Offline Chow

• Tricycle
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 05:31:30 pm »
I used to have them on my 2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200 and the lights were great IMO. Like work4me said the light isnt focused properly but its more open. So for riding without using high beams its nice because the light is more open. But on dark roads using the high beam it can be bad because the light isn't focused. So its up to you pending on what kinda riding you do.

Offline m in sc

• Moped
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 01:04:23 am »
the replacement leds are specfically designed to retrofit into a halogen reflector/lense. NOT the same issues the old school retro HIDs had

looks great in the shop but BETTER on the road where it counts.

brightness: better and a cleaner light

draw: almost nothing. about the same as a tail light bulb when its on high beam, maybe

heat? almost none

yes, they are direct plug and play. the loop hook wore will take fanagaling to get around the back of the bulb. and the boot needs to be opened up or removed.

Offline Victor Salisbury

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 3673
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 09:40:32 am »
Concur  :great:  on my 2nd LED bulb and it is an improvement from the 1st, both were great though even though I had the headlight harness for the halogen previously, the LED's were better. And daytime conspicuity, much improved.

the replacement leds are specfically designed to retrofit into a halogen reflector/lense. NOT the same issues the old school retro HIDs had

draw: almost nothing. about the same as a tail light bulb when its on high beam, maybe

heat? almost none

yes, they are direct plug and play. the loop hook wore will take fanagaling to get around the back of the bulb. and the boot needs to be opened up or removed.
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673 
'97 Connie "The Grinch" 
Sarasota, FL 
www.cog-online.org 
Stupid Hurts! Wearing protective gear is much more comfortable.

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 10:46:37 am »
. . .  the LED's were better. And daytime conspicuity, much improved.

Just to confirm out of the comments regarding night time visibility.

Are you guys saying the new LED's will match or exceed halogens for seeing whats in front of you at night, for both hi and low beam?
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830 - - C10 Stuff For Sale - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 10:55:08 am »
Have not tried an LED bulb my C10, but did in the KLR a couple of years ago. First one was a Cyclops IIRC. Immediate issue was a dark area low and in the center. A provided spacer minimized the dark area, but really couldn't see any major distinction between low, and high beam. No obvious "lumen" advantage that I could detect either. Put the 80/100 H4 back in place. No wattage/power savings, obviously, but at least I can see the road before me. They gave me a full refund when I returned it. I’ve got another one in there now, Optima (?) and it seems a little better – but – I also haven’t been out on a pitch black road at night either. I may bite the bullet and try one in my C10 at some point, but for now, my 80/100 is working just fine – thank you… thank you very much.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline Victor Salisbury

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 3673
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 11:23:38 am »
Yes, plus with the LED, when the hi beam is switched on, the low beam led's stay on.
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673 
'97 Connie "The Grinch" 
Sarasota, FL 
www.cog-online.org 
Stupid Hurts! Wearing protective gear is much more comfortable.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 05:36:51 pm »
Yes, plus with the LED, when the hi beam is switched on, the low beam led's stay on.

was just thinking back in time... and laughing... :))

remember when we lined up along the runway at RWTW, and compared headlights... and when I hit my NAPA 80/100's on, we heard screaming Racoons and rodents on the far side of the runway, with thier Corneas burned out....?

I haven't dumped the $$ yet on LED's, for the C14, but may by the end of the season, just curious if they appeared better than the "eyball roasters"
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2018, 05:57:02 pm »
I haven't installed any yet either.
What I've noticed is during daylight.
  ie; If 2 bikes are behind me and 1 has the LED's, those are noticeably brighter/"whiter"...

Back in the day, I tried the higher wattage "bluish" Halogens.
   Took them out and got rid of them after 1 ride as it hurt, not helped.
   Hoping the whiter light will have a better result.

being Frugal; To see if there is any difference, I ordered a set of the $12.95 LED's that Stash posted.
                     If yes, I may consider the $89.00 Evitek's/other.
                     {Wondering if they are really $76 better?} (ie: Are the $12.95 junk?)

Ride safe, Ted

14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9506
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 09:46:43 pm »

heat? almost none

:iagree:  While the early generation of LEDs for H4 enclosures were really hit-or-miss, depending on the design, the newer ones have really improved things.  Though I haven't tried the particular design that starts this thread, I likely will in the near future. 

Those folks that say they aren't any better / not focused / too much glare / whatever probably haven't tried them in years.  The one I currently have installed has a great cut-off at the top of the low beam and a phenomenal high beam. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157 
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited - "Outback's Outback"

Offline m in sc

• Moped
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 12:07:48 am »
I just bought a new CB1100. with 10 miles on the bike i put the bulb i listed in the thread in.

its great.

remember, there was a time when 128K computers cost thousands and thousands of dollars.. 

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • COG#: 9921
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2018, 12:47:25 am »
I've been using the Evitek bulbs for about a year now with great results.  Night time illumination is BETTER
than a 'OEM' Halogen bulb.  These aren't cheap, but they work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017M566T4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators, Fork Brace - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2018, 02:10:20 pm »
The 7000 lumen Cyclops LED bulb is fantastic, and worth the money.
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 06:15:49 pm »
The 7000 lumen Cyclops LED bulb is fantastic, and worth the money.

You recall the model/part number? Also, was there any mention of possibly shimming the element if a dark spot appeared?

As previously mentioned, I tried a Cyclops in my KLR and was not impressed; returned it. I do not recall the model number, but can probably dig it out. If the one you're talking about is a "new improved" version, I may have to check it out for the C10.

TIA
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline Daboo

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12797
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 08:51:50 pm »
Cyclops keeps improving their product lines.  So whatever bulb you had years ago, has been replaced.

I have the Cyclops H7 4000 lumen in my BMW and it works great.  They include a gray plastic spacer that moves the light output back where the halogen reflector is designed to pick up the light from.  The light pattern is almost identical to the halogen light output.  The top cutoff is just a wee bit fuzzier, but not an issue.  I did have to realign my headlight aim.  But other than that, it was a plug and play swap.

I still have an old HID bulb kit in the garage.  It didn't work on the bike I had at the time.  There was a lot of light output...right in front of the bike where it blinded you and reduced your night vision...in the trees to the side of the road...it lit up the signs on the opposite side of the freeway...and probably blinded everyone who drove toward me...but put nothing out for light where I needed it.  It was a waste of money.

The only caution I would give on buying a LED headlight, is that my success was with a different bike with a different shaped headlight reflector.  It doesn't mean at all that it will work for you.

BTW, the Cyclops people are located in south Seattle.  So if you're in the area, you can simply stop in and see them and their product in person.  They are nice people.  Be prepared if you do go in person.  Their dog will want to play catch with you.  :D

Chris
IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 12:49:25 am »
Cyclops keeps improving their product lines.  So whatever bulb you had years ago, has been replaced.

I have the Cyclops H7 4000 lumen in my BMW and it works great.  They include a gray plastic spacer that moves the light output back where the halogen reflector is designed to pick up the light from.  The light pattern is almost identical to the halogen light output.  The top cutoff is just a wee bit fuzzier, but not an issue.  I did have to realign my headlight aim.  But other than that, it was a plug and play swap.

I still have an old HID bulb kit in the garage.  It didn't work on the bike I had at the time.  There was a lot of light output...right in front of the bike where it blinded you and reduced your night vision...in the trees to the side of the road...it lit up the signs on the opposite side of the freeway...and probably blinded everyone who drove toward me...but put nothing out for light where I needed it.  It was a waste of money.

The only caution I would give on buying a LED headlight, is that my success was with a different bike with a different shaped headlight reflector.  It doesn't mean at all that it will work for you.

BTW, the Cyclops people are located in south Seattle.  So if you're in the area, you can simply stop in and see them and their product in person.  They are nice people.  Be prepared if you do go in person.  Their dog will want to play catch with you.  :D

Chris

I had the same experience with the HID bulb that the PO installed on my first Concours. No usable light in front of you, just blinding everyone.

The Cyclops H4 LED headlight bulb was one of their newest ones, pushing 7000 Lumen. The beam is perfect, and no spacing is required. I almost don't even need driving lights, because the lone headlight is that good. It looks like Cyclops just put out a version 10 bulb, which I think can do 10,000 Lumen, drawing 38 watts.
https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/Cyclops-100-H4-LED-headlight-bulb_p_192.html
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2018, 11:34:10 am »

Chris

I'm in Virginia, so a visit to their place is doubtful. Appreciate it tho'.

I may give their new 10K version a try for the Connie. I have an OPT7 in the KLR now and it's doing "okay."
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline crag antler

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 8277
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 07:18:52 pm »
Installed this bulb today.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-HB2-9003-980W-147000LM-CREE-COB-LED-Headlight-Kit-High-Low-6000K-Bulbs-Power-/263588030843?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10
Put in with the flat side of the base down. When lit, the low beam is up top and high comes on low.
If I'm wrong, please let me,know now :-[
Or Ill wait until tonight until to see.
M in SC is correct. Took some finagling to get the wire holder on.
Minus the boot but may be fine. Carry it with the old bulb in the side pocket.
 >:D
Doug aka crag antler  Florida Cracker in South Conway
2000 Kawasaki Concours
2011 Suzuki DR650

Offline m in sc

• Moped
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2018, 07:23:33 pm »
nope, thats right. on low beam, the 2 'top' elements come on. on high, the lower one (thats horizontal) comes on as well.

enjoy.

:beerchug:

Offline crag antler

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 8277
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2018, 07:31:28 pm »
Dang. You are the man :beerchug:
Just PMed the question after posting here and here you are.
Thank you much. :motonoises:
Doug aka crag antler  Florida Cracker in South Conway
2000 Kawasaki Concours
2011 Suzuki DR650

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2018, 11:07:15 pm »
wow, price sure has dropped since last time I looked! Now, no excuse not to give them a try.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2018, 09:55:51 pm »
Installed this bulb today.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-HB2-9003-980W-147000LM-CREE-COB-LED-Headlight-Kit-High-Low-6000K-Bulbs-Power-/263588030843?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10
Put in with the flat side of the base down. When lit, the low beam is up top and high comes on low.
If I'm wrong, please let me,know now :-[
Or Ill wait until tonight until to see.
M in SC is correct. Took some finagling to get the wire holder on.
Minus the boot but may be fine. Carry it with the old bulb in the side pocket.
 >:D
I get the part about the lamp product being waterproof to some extent, but what exactly prevents water/moisture/etc from getting into the actual housing the lamp assembly attaches to, as when the lamp begins to cool, natural atmosphere will be drawn in around the base... and accumulate inside that housing that houses the reflector surfaces and lenses... which is the sole reason a boot was used on the OEM type lamps. Especially so in cases of really foul weather riding, when you shut the bike off.
Just curious how it is supposed to "seal" the housing... an O-ring would have been nice..

I guess what I'm getting at, is even tho a product has an IP68 rating on it's own, when the installation requires it protruding into another sealed vestibule, or container so to speak, which also is waterproof (IP68 or greater), the point of connection is still the weak point, or part that needs to be graded.
This comes from years of designing electrical enclosures for instrumentation, here in the USA we use a NEMA code, (NEMA4 is rated for long duration spray down) where no water may enter the enclosure during the testing. IP ratings are an Iso st'd, and while similar, they are not a direct "comparo" as methods vary for each level. (NEMA 6 & 6P, are considered as submersible and also carry the pressurized water jet test to the higher rating to get the 6 ) The "8" in the IP rating, denotes it may be submerged, for a short period, but it also does not have to meet the "hose test", which is pretty brutal I will say, having to go thru these tests on many pieces of equipment I designed to obtain UL compliance. (also CE compliance in some products).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 10:25:37 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2018, 10:30:45 pm »
so, for a $12 lamp, or pair of them, I'd hate to have to replace that reflector housing, because it got moisture in it, and deteriorated rapidly.. and fogged..
and corroded the plating...

they are expensive... :'( :-\

Offline m in sc

• Moped
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2018, 02:16:29 am »
ive run them for years. unless you are going to pressure wash the back of the fairing from the seat, its fine. thats just ridiculous, come on.

ive ridden my bikes in torrential downpours running these bulbs for years, including my ducati sport classic (naked bike with basically zero water protection, my 84 RZ350, rd350, concours, on and on and on).  zero issues. zero moisture to get into the headlight reflectors. as a matter of fact, since they run so cool, there's LESS chance of condensation in the housing.