Author Topic: LED headlight bulbs vs Sylvania Silverstar Halogen ?  (Read 913 times)

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 1608
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: LED headlight bulbs vs Sylvania Silverstar Halogen ?
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2018, 01:19:35 pm »
Installed this bulb today.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-HB2-9003-980W-147000LM-CREE-COB-LED-Headlight-Kit-High-Low-6000K-Bulbs-Power-/263588030843?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10
Put in with the flat side of the base down. When lit, the low beam is up top and high comes on low.
If I'm wrong, please let me,know now :-[
Or Ill wait until tonight until to see.
M in SC is correct. Took some finagling to get the wire holder on.
Minus the boot but may be fine. Carry it with the old bulb in the side pocket.
 >:D
I get the part about the lamp product being waterproof to some extent, but what exactly prevents water/moisture/etc from getting into the actual housing the lamp assembly attaches to, as when the lamp begins to cool, natural atmosphere will be drawn in around the base... and accumulate inside that housing that houses the reflector surfaces and lenses... which is the sole reason a boot was used on the OEM type lamps. Especially so in cases of really foul weather riding, when you shut the bike off.
Just curious how it is supposed to "seal" the housing... an O-ring would have been nice..

I guess what I'm getting at, is even tho a product has an IP68 rating on it's own, when the installation requires it protruding into another sealed vestibule, or container so to speak, which also is waterproof (IP68 or greater), the point of connection is still the weak point, or part that needs to be graded.
This comes from years of designing electrical enclosures for instrumentation, here in the USA we use a NEMA code, (NEMA4 is rated for long duration spray down) where no water may enter the enclosure during the testing. IP ratings are an Iso st'd, and while similar, they are not a direct "comparo" as methods vary for each level. (NEMA 6 & 6P, are considered as submersible and also carry the pressurized water jet test to the higher rating to get the 6 ) The "8" in the IP rating, denotes it may be submerged, for a short period, but it also does not have to meet the "hose test", which is pretty brutal I will say, having to go thru these tests on many pieces of equipment I designed to obtain UL compliance. (also CE compliance in some products).

Me thinks you worry too much.

The two LED-type that I have dealt with (the original Cyclops and the OPT7) came apart so that the protective boot could be installed. The boot on my KLR with the OPT7 bulb in there now has the boot installed. I can't remember if I had to modify it to fit, but don't think I did. I can assure you that bike has been in some hellacious downpours (and water crossings) with nary a drop getting into the lamp housing.

Looks like the new Cyclops lamp comes apart too, so the Connie boot can be modified to properly seal things off. Properly applied RTV can seal the deal (sorry - couldn't resist) to eliminate the possibility of water intrusion.

My .02.............
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2018, 07:27:38 pm »
yeah, I do worry, but the lights you used are the "good ones", and yes, they do have the removable rear, so the boot can be used...
The high end ones usually do, which is to be expected.
I made some responses in the past, (can't remember if here, or the "other forum") about this, and listed some of the ones the rear parts can be removed on for "booting", can't find them now tho.. :-[
And you know just how much I "enjoy riding in the rain"... it always rains... :nananana:
 >:( >:D :)) :)) :))

I just won't be using $12 bulbs (2 required) in my C14, as it's double the ingress area, and don't want to replace my headlight housing. (went thru 3 on my old KZ, because of my lack of rubber boot usage).

besides, those badazzzz NAPA 80/100's you turned me on to 14 years ago, still are awesome for the cost$. and I have enough juice to power them... so no issue...( they do last a heck of a long time tho, I never had one burn out...)  hope I didn't just Jinx myself.

YMMV (but it always ends up raining).... :truce: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 10:27:31 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9921
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2018, 10:14:12 pm »
I had to cut the X out of the end of the boot.  Still doing its job diligently. 
That actually happened when the HID BULB went in... then the HID came out at a rest station on I75,  :(
and the back up halogen bulb went in... Das boot went on fine.

I'm sure there are one or two asking, "What is this boot they speak of?"

A similar question I asked about the rubber pieces under the fuel tank.  :-[
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators, Fork Brace - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2018, 11:12:36 am »
Figured I'd give the new 10K Cyclops a try. If it doesn't work out, back it goes like the original one I tried a couple of years ago.

Was gonna try and tweak it in after it got dark last night, but a bad storm rolling through the area just as it got dark foiled that. Will try again tonight. If nothing else, it's a hellava lot more visible than the Wagner 80/100 due to its "whiteness." We'll see how it works in the real world lighting up the road.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Online Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2018, 01:43:36 pm »
I put Elektek LED H4 bulbs on my C14 about 2 years ago, and they are graet. I don't see these for sale, so they may have dropped from the market.
Some time ago I posted about how I am convinced that the LEDs saved me from hitting as deer at night. The white light from the LEDs created contrast between the brown deer and the green behind it. With Halogens, the trees would have been brownish-green, less contrast, and I would not have seen is as quickly, and... bad things would have happened. As it was, I braked enough top barely bump it.
The patters is not quite as good as the halogen H4, but very close.  I think there are newer ones on the market that are better; some are even DOT approved, which I believe means a good pattern.
On mine, the base separated from the bulb, and had an O-ring to seal.
Rich is correct, you have to be careful you maintain the seal.  Many new headlamp assemblies are sealed, and have a vent hole with a Gore-Tex membrane to let them breath, while keeping liquid moisture from entering. I'm sure the large boots can flex and keep the headlamp dry.
Woudl I recommend LED Headlamp bulbs - YES :great:

Don't skimp, get decent ones which will likely last for many years.

Offline m in sc

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2018, 06:27:09 pm »
even the $12 dollar one shave an o-ring in the body. ive had very pricey ones and some cheap ones, most are exactly the same construction wise. just different boxes and labels. .02

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2018, 07:52:41 pm »
the Cyclops model Guy shows above, is the one I was trying to find, to show the fact the "locking tabbed ring" was removable on that specific bulb assembly, which makes them a win-win in my book...
I think if you look close at the 4th picture from the top, you will see the " tab thing", thats the hole in the outer lock ring, whic allows you to slip the rubber boot over the lamps barrel, and install the lamp thru the boot.
It does require shaving down the length of the boot, but the boot still retains the nice seal around the lamp barrel.

thanks for showing that one Guy, I couldn't remember the actual lamp that had that feature.
cool...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline m in sc

• Mini Bike
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2018, 02:48:42 am »
fyi, they are removable on the cheaper ones i posted as well. like said, built the same for the most part, except the ones i posted are a newer design w/out the seperate box. the ones from a year or 2 ago had the seperate box as well but they got the circuitry figured out now where its not nec and can fit it into the bulb body housing.  i currently run both styles.

some come with different bulb housing mounts as well, ie: h7's.  so, if you have a more modern bike with one light high and one low that take h7s, (some triumphs, yamahas, etc) you can retrofit this type of bulb with an h7 tab and run dual beam on both reflectors if you wish. just .02

so, you can mount the tab, put the boot on, intall the bulb (as shown above). not sure if its nema7 or sa compliant  :D , but sure works juuust fine on a motorcycle in the wet.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 04:38:17 pm by m in sc »

Offline cornponious

• Training Wheels
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2018, 11:03:33 am »
 Might I recommend the following bulb

http://www.sparckmoto.com/Products/Detail/75

I Purchased this bulb and installed it. It has no cooling fan, but rather three braided metal strips that act as heat sinks. It takes a little bit of work to get it in because you have to cut a hole in the rubber boot that covers the headlamp hole on the back of the faring. But it is well worth it! No pun intended, but the difference  is night and day!

Offline m in sc

• Mini Bike
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2018, 04:49:45 pm »
just got some of these , needed a shallow back one for my 72 suzuki with stock bucket. no fan, no heatsink. no box. these work very well. the tech just keeps getting better.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-H4-9003-HB2-980W-147000LM-Car-Fanless-LED-Headlight-CREE-Kit-6000K-White/263588386781?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9506
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2018, 08:22:22 pm »
just got some of these , needed a shallow back one for my 72 suzuki with stock bucket. no fan, no heatsink. no box. these work very well. the tech just keeps getting better.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-H4-9003-HB2-980W-147000LM-Car-Fanless-LED-Headlight-CREE-Kit-6000K-White/263588386781?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
980W 147000LM???   :o  I have a feeling those specs are a bit optimistic.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157 
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited - "Outback's Outback"

Offline m in sc

• Mini Bike
« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 11:56:13 am »
 thats obviously completely wrong, but i took the t500 out last night, the headlight is working quite well. if it was 980w it probably would have melted the headlight and a few trees with the 147000 lumen beam. lol

980W 147000LM???   :o  I have a feeling those specs are a bit optimistic.