Author Topic: LED headlight bulbs vs Sylvania Silverstar Halogen ?  (Read 2016 times)

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11081
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: LED headlight bulbs vs Sylvania Silverstar Halogen ?
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2018, 05:33:01 pm »
Guy, send it to me, I'll stick that sob in my old Kz...it needs a bulb.. and that generator ain't high output when running my Gerbing... :rotflmao:

Glad we all still use those 80/100 NAPA bulbs, by far, they are the BOMB...

I still have 2 spares, and they are the best....

I'm in discussion with Cyclops now. They're in the "try rebooting" mode right now, so we'll see. Stuff they're telling me to be sure of says they don't know their own product.

:-[

It's unfortunate you didn't have a good experience with the bulb, the 7000 lumen unit I got from them has been great, but it could be subjective.
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2018, 05:45:09 pm »
ok, thx for the info, guess i wont be going the 80/100 route if it requires rewiring everything to keep it from burning up.led's sound like the way forward to improved and trouble free lighting.

If you make sure the socket contacts are pinchy-tight, you should not have an issue. I was kinda naive when I installed my first 80/100 and didn't pay much attention to how things felt when I plugged the socket up. Did later after I replaced the socket and made sure that things were very snug. That socket has been in the bike for over 100K miles, and been through a couple of bulb changes.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2018, 05:55:45 pm »
Guy, send it to me, I'll stick that sob in my old Kz...it needs a bulb.. and that generator ain't high output when running my Gerbing... :rotflmao:

I'm in discussion with Cyclops now. They're in the "try rebooting" mode right now, so we'll see. Stuff they're telling me to be sure of says they don't know their own product.

It's unfortunate you didn't have a good experience with the bulb, the 7000 lumen unit I got from them has been great, but it could be subjective.

I tried their 7K version in my KLR and it was dismal. Adding the spacer(s) helped get rid of a dark area in the bottom of the pattern, but even then, I could never really see any real distinction between low and high beams. They took that one back. Feller down in the SE Area said he had one in his C10 and was pleased with the results. I didn't try it in mine, just the KLR.

The Opt7 I have in it now is much better, but as mentioned previously, I've never really had it out in total darkness yet. Gonna give that a whack this evening. I have a COG ride coming up in a couple of weeks and plan on taking the KLR, so want to make sure I as much light as I need. If not, an 80/100 is going back in it too.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2018, 08:53:04 pm »
Okay, we'll beat this one to death:

For what it’s worth: the sockets on these pigtails are tight… as in very tight.

However, the bike’s harness socket you’re plugging in to needs to be equally tight, or close to it. A high wattage bulb creates a lot of heat, but the heat that really destroys most sockets comes from loose connections and the heat generated by contact resistance.

Also, they're also available on eBay with free-shipping...... full filled by Amazon.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2018, 10:27:58 am »

I tried their 7K version in my KLR and it was dismal. Adding the spacer(s) helped get rid of a dark area in the bottom of the pattern, but even then, I could never really see any real distinction between low and high beams. They took that one back. Feller down in the SE Area said he had one in his C10 and was pleased with the results. I didn't try it in mine, just the KLR.

The Opt7 I have in it now is much better, but as mentioned previously, I've never really had it out in total darkness yet. Gonna give that a whack this evening. I have a COG ride coming up in a couple of weeks and plan on taking the KLR, so want to make sure I as much light as I need. If not, an 80/100 is going back in it too.

The Opt7 in the KLR is better than the 10K Cyclops in the Connie, and the aiming was pretty much spot on - but - it still didn't seem to project the light out like a std. incandescent. I pulled it yesterday and replaced it with a std. 55/60 watter. Checked it out after dark last night for aim and brilliance, and I am happy with both. It'll stay put for the up-coming event.

Not sure if I'm expecting too much out of the LEDs I'm trying, or what, but they just don't seem to illuminate the road like their filament counterparts - IMHO. The trade off is their lower power consumption, but I personally prefer to see where the hell I'm going and give up  a little grunt going to the Gerbings.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2018, 02:28:29 pm »
I've been wanting to try the LED's in one of my bikes.
   With that thought in mind, I bought an inexpensive set that someone suggested .    Just haven't done the install yet..
        (Yes I know all LED's are not equal)

Back when the blue tinted lights was everyone's new "Best" thing,, I gave those a try. Removed them immediately!.
   To me, the bluish tinted {even the 80/100's+} didn't illuminate as well as a stock bulb. No contrast..

I'm been wondering if the LED's do the same? and/or if the light pattern is as good?
   Guy has given us a pretty good idea about the pattern.

(On a C-14) Has anyone ever put a LED in one side and left the stock in the other to do a photo comparison?
If yes, can you post it?

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2018, 06:31:22 pm »
Just pulled the Cyclops 10K out of the Connie and replaced it with the 80/100 I pulled out during the install. Will check for aim this evening after dark.

I might just stick it in the KLR to see if that bikes reflector shape causes a revelation in road illumination.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC