Author Topic: Inside and under the airbox gushing gas  (Read 781 times)

Offline Shipple88

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Inside and under the airbox gushing gas
« on: February 26, 2019, 04:44:34 am »
Inside the airbox there are four tubes coming from the carbs to a plastic channel/tray thing.  Under the airbox is an L shaped tube.  What is that tube and why is my airbox literally flowing gasoline out of it?  Its coming out just after I start the engine.  The engine continues to run while its happening.  The screwdriver tip is where the gas comes out of.  The L shaped tube is directly under the airbox at the same location. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 05:15:18 am by Shipple88, Reason: clarification »
1986 Concours "Blueberry"
2015 Honda CTX700 "Phantom"

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Inside and under the airbox gushing gas
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 05:15:12 am »
you have a stuck float valve needle,,,, pull the bike outide, remove the tank.. if it continues to "flow" fuel from the hoe, lay it in a position that places the valve somwhat upwards, to top the flow... then procede with removing the air filter box cover plate, removing the air filter, sopping up any/all gasoline in there, then progresing onto removing all of the spark plugs, and with the plug wires sitting well away (forward of the recesses), laying a towel above the head, and cranking over the engine in 2 second pulsess, to expell any fuel that may be in the cylinders..... this IS what we call HYDROLOCK 101..

after that, a repair of the carb, mainly by SISF here on the forum, or by me(if you choose) will alleviate the cause, but I do not do the overflow mod SISF does, thats his baby...I do recommend him.. just don't hit the starter button until it's fixed.. or its $$$$
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 10:58:43 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Shipple88

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 05:20:04 am »
What is the hoe?  And if I have the stuck float valve needle would the engine continue to run while the gas is spewing out?  I was able to add a picture finally to the post. 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 05:34:03 am »
sorry, my "s" key is giving me technical problems after dumping gingerale on my keyboard last week.. "hose"..
and yes, the bike will run, but at reduced performance, and wasting fuel...

and until the float needle is
 addressed it may (more like probably) again leak, and indeed will exhibit a hydrolok..

at least drain the float bowls, maybe twice, on each carb, to try to clear the offending particulate matter.. but that is still no substitute for a removal, and throughout cleaning, and rebuild.

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 10:47:24 am »
Also recommend changing the oil, and at least draining the filter. There's no guarantee that gas didn't work its way past the rings and into the sump, or even down through the crankcase vent line.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline JPD

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12064
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 01:30:16 pm »
It sounds like the fuel petcock is shutting off when the engine is turned off. Good news. when you start the bike vacuum will open the petcock and allow gas to flow to the carbs. With a stuck float the carb bowl will overfill and run in to the air box. With the bike running it should just run rich and not idle on that cylinder. Raw gas may come out of the exhaust. Ask me how I know!! If both the petcock and a float get stuck open the gas can run the other way into the cylinder and fill it up. The next start attempt the fuel can't compress and you may bend a rod. Look at the posts on hyrdo lock.

You maybe able to find which cylinder has a stuck float by removing the air filter and when you put the petcock on prime you can use a flashlight and mirror to see which carb is leaking. IF YOU DO THIS YOU MUST REMOVE THE TANK AND CLEAR THE CYLINDERS OF FUEL THAT MIGHT HAVE RUN THAT DIRECTION.

Follow MOB advice on how to fix this problem or your new to you bike may become no more.

Online strum

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 02:44:41 pm »
Youre at a place where hydrolock is staring at you like the grim reaper . Please!! Heed MOBs advice here.  You dont want to bend a rod man.
2016 C-14

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 02:57:04 pm »
 :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Stan Visser - COG#: 6830  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline JS

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 03:54:01 pm »
I had a similar problem shortly after purchasing a 1997. If the petcock arm is moved forward on my bike the fuel flows constantly, probably a position used only to fill carbs after completely running out of gas, etc. Vertical position is for normal operation, move the arm towards the rear wheel for reserve. Normal and reserve positions are vacuum operated.
Check petcock: With the engine off and battery disconnected undo the tank bolts, vent hose and raise and block the tank, disconnect the fuel line from the petcock, there should be no normal and reserve petcock position fuel dripping, etc. If there are no leaks proceed to rebuilding carbs. Note: If the inside of the tank appears clean you're ahead of the game.

Unless you have lots of related experience you'll need to have the carbs rebuilt by someone who does not have to use your bike to learn how.

Once the excess fuel has cleared if the bike idles and runs ok perhaps a basic carb rebuild will work. Below are Made In Japan components I purchased and had success with.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-Carburetor-Float-Needle-Valve-Kawasaki-See-Fitment-Chart-16030-1007/291952648037?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-Suzuki-Kawasaki-Float-Bowl-O-Rings-K-L-Supply-18-2676/292884104243?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 04:20:38 pm by JS »

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 05:12:57 pm »
   Hydrolock video!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W6k3pTdAXw&feature=plcp

Do "NOT" try to start the engine again until you get your carbs fixed!!!!!
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 06:20:59 pm »
   Hydrolock video!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W6k3pTdAXw&feature=plcp

Do "NOT" try to start the engine again until you get your carbs fixed!!!!!
Where have you been hiding Tom?  You're normally Johnny on the spot on this topic! :nananana:
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 06:38:34 pm »
  In the bathroom reading a good book!!  :)
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 07:04:36 pm »
  In the bathroom reading a good book!!  :)
Back in the day, that used to be the Sears catalog! :D :D :D
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
  • Every day starts as a 10 when I wake up breathing
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 11:26:20 pm »
This is my first "new to me " Kawasaki " ever, but I can tell you right now,, don't start that bike,, don't even think about hitting the start button without pulling the plugs out.  You are about to lose your bike.  Can't have raw gas poring into a cylinder.  Can't really happpen while your riding it (once its running), but on start up, or between start ups, your playing with life and death of the engine IMO.  I installed an inline manual shut off which I use religiously in conjunction with the petcock. But I have no leaks at all, anywhere.  I did it because of the warnings about hydro lock from here , the life long connie riders forums.
So this is a life?  Lets have some fun!
1992 c10 74k miles,  black w/ red stripe
carbon fiber slip ons, rifle wind screen
custom Corbin seat (flip down passenger back rest)
cruise control, maybe more, still researching

Offline danodemotoman

• Sport Tourer
  • Yo Ho, Yo HO, it's a bikers life for me!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 2877
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2019, 11:45:10 pm »
 Warning

Make sure the spark plug leads are grounded if you turn it over to expel the fuel from the cylinder (after spark plugs removed)
  Have seen mechanics burned that way.
 Better yet use a mytyvac.
 I also drained oil as it was contaminated leaking fuel past rings.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 12:24:14 am »
if the "fear" of a spark, jumping 2" distance "out of the disconnected plug wires" with plugs removed, and sitting on bench...concerns people, (the plug gap should tell you spark isn't gonna "escape" the plug boot), Simply disconnect the leads on each coils rear side (noting the positions they come off of the terminals, and wrap them in a rag, and tuck them down in the rear...
then, don't worry...

also make sure to place an old towel over the valve cover, to prevent the "gas douche" that gets expelled...and again, "pulse" the starter button... don't just let it crank endlessly...
oil change IS recommended also.

Offline Shipple88

• Tricycle
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2019, 05:43:56 pm »
You guys are awesome.  I just moved and had to lease the bike at the old place for a while.  My buddy who has a newer model connie (2014 or something  like that) is going to keep it garaged until I can come up for a weekend to work on it.  Ok well honestly he will work on it and I was stand back and look confused.  And no, I'm not going to start it to get it on the trailer 😊
Thanks to all, I'll get back afterwards and try to update.