Author Topic: Light ping or tapping  (Read 2519 times)

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Light ping or tapping
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2018, 09:30:39 pm »
Ah... guess I misunderstood when you asked how the 800rpm idle sounded.  ;)
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
  • Every day starts as a 10 when I wake up breathing
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2018, 09:41:11 pm »
ok,, good news,, the tension-er is out,, and in the tension bar there is a small spring that is displaced and not pushing against the tension bar, I bet that is the culpret.  anyone know what Im talking about,, its a second very small spring that presses on the locking mechanism of the tension bar, its pointing out of the notch at me instead of at the lock.  That would explain why it doesn't low it would seem.  Or why it doesn't click to the next tooth.
So this is a life?  Lets have some fun!
1992 c10 74k miles,  black w/ red stripe
carbon fiber slip ons, rifle wind screen
custom Corbin seat (flip down passenger back rest)
cruise control, maybe more, still researching

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2018, 10:04:39 pm »
Ok,, tension-er is back in, I swear it had hair tangled in it,, or something resembling hair.  I reset it and heard it click and lock as I put the main spring , pin , washer and nut back in place.  Started her up,, and ............................sounds about the same  >:(, no more dodging the open caseket any longer :truce:.  I think now I have a couple valves not too perfect  :'(  I hate working on my toys , would rather be playing on them :))

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2018, 11:01:59 pm »
ok,, good news,, the tension-er is out,, and in the tension bar there is a small spring that is displaced and not pushing against the tension bar, I bet that is the culpret.  anyone know what Im talking about,, its a second very small spring that presses on the locking mechanism of the tension bar, its pointing out of the notch at me instead of at the lock.  That would explain why it doesn't low it would seem.  Or why it doesn't click to the next tooth.

the spring you are noting, presses against a ratchet pawl, which in turn locks the adjustment rod when it moves forward; it is a very common point that the spring kinks sideways, and is easily fixed when inspected....
I will however comment, that your 1992 model should not have that same issue, as those came with a "rotating" spring tensioned mechanism, not the inline "push spring and pin", which was introduced in 1994 IIRC.

I'll also add, please obtain and read a FSM for your bike, that way you will be able to understand the simple method for adjusting/Inspecting valve clearances.. it's not a big deal, most of us can do this in about 2 hours (novice), or 1 hour (someone that has done them)... with little effort more than you spent doing this chain adjuster fix.
You seem to equate a simple valve adjust, removing the valve cover, with something like "splitting the cases".. which confuses me in your logic. Until you actually inspect them (yes, I hear you insisting the p/o did this, and it's perfect... but then again, your carb synch, which is directly related to correct valve function, and engine operation, was never done...was never done, until you did it.. so I question the mechanic doing the work, once again.)

It will pay you to listen to all of the people that DO know these bikes, and tell you to pay attention to progressions and means/methods of servicing them, many of these people, including the one you felt "insulted your Intelligence", actually have the viable hands on experiences in these issues.... some of the commentary on your part, has me shaking my head, and asking 'WHY'..
things like insisting IDLE (not Idol) speed, at 800rpm, is doing anything good for your engine... unless you know how much oil is being pumped to critical areas, requiring proper oil film thickness and supply, you are not listening when we say IDLE should be at 1000 to 1100 rpm, which is normal and correct. There is a substantial difference in the oil pressure, and flow... to prevent damage.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline concourscharlie

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2018, 11:52:35 pm »
 :great: what MOB said! :96:
1998 Concours, Kronk
1993 Concours, KIA

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2018, 03:01:11 am »
Oh no , grammar nazi's , Im doomed.  ok, never mind.   And the owners manual is gone, prev owner can't find it in his shop, since his surgery.  His shop was taken over by his help during recovery.  But I can pester others with my antics.  I always did hate forums, they don't show facial expressions and sarcastic humor very well.  But I have done too many valve jobs to look forward to it.  Thanx for all the feedback .  I am tired this too.  Sometimes the best way is to go it alone.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2018, 04:02:53 am »
.  I always did hate forums, they don't show facial expressions and sarcastic humor very well.  But I have done too many valve jobs to look forward to it.  Thanx for all the feedback .  I am tired this too.  Sometimes the best way is to go it alone.

Here is one!!  :motonoises: :motonoises:
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline cra-z1000

• Sport Tourer
  • Keeping it upright..
  • COG#: 9790
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2018, 12:18:44 pm »
Oh no , grammar nazi's , Im doomed.  ok, never mind.   And the owners manual is gone, prev owner can't find it in his shop, since his surgery.  His shop was taken over by his help during recovery.  But I can pester others with my antics.  I always did hate forums, they don't show facial expressions and sarcastic humor very well.  But I have done too many valve jobs to look forward to it.  Thanx for all the feedback .  I am tired this too.  Sometimes the best way is to go it alone.

Take it with a grain of salt around here man .These are all good folks , ya just gotta take some crap once in awhile...lol. If you want your Concours right , this is the place for sure . If you become a member you have access to the tech pages and Concourier articles . Those are way better that any service manual and beat asking and recieving a bunch of answers . I havent cracked the cover of my manual since I joined and I've had to do plenty of work to my 30 year old bike .
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2018, 02:32:05 pm »
How does the 800 rpm idle sound to you COGGERS?
Dam...to be very honest with you it sounds like cr@p!! That is not a Harley engine!
Do not let that engine idle below 1100 RPM. You have very very little oil pressure when you do that.
That is a Ninja based engine and it likes to rev which means it is bad to lug or low idle that engine. For example.. my KTM race engines MUST idle at 1800rpm and NOT below that. Other bikes that I know are even higher..2200RPM  is normal idle. Below that is bad. So listen to what we are telling you. We know!!
My Suggestion: You should really get rid of that automatic cam  chain tensioner and buy an APE manual tensioner

« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 02:45:33 pm by Daytona_Mike »
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit 100+HP  + way more torque.
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2019, 11:14:26 pm »
HA HA,, all you know it all baboons who insist the most important thing in life is rep open a perfectly running engine need to listen to people like Steve,, and others who actually heard what I typed and said it might be the chain tension er. ,, today, having ridden all winter, when I started old Crysis up, stone cold,  she immediately did a weird little momentary squeal and clic before hitting a good "Idol" (for Dork of Blues) and the click on the left side is completely gone.  I rode her for about an hour and OMG,, she sounds so good, no valve or clicking in any rpm,, she is ready for the road, it was the auto tension er just on the verge of clicking a tooth.  However, I am shocked at how fast she eats rear tires,, OMG,, maybe I do need to leave first gear alone and drop the Wheely a shafty practice.  I actually have a bit of a flat spot from winter riding and not much leaning on the wet or icy roads.

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2019, 11:31:03 pm »
Dam...to be very honest with you it sounds like cr@p!! That is not a Harley engine!
Do not let that engine idle below 1100 RPM. You have very very little oil pressure when you do that.
That is a Ninja based engine and it likes to rev which means it is bad to lug or low idle that engine. For example.. my KTM race engines MUST idle at 1800rpm and NOT below that. Other bikes that I know are even higher..2200RPM  is normal idle. Below that is bad. So listen to what we are telling you. We know!!
My Suggestion: You should really get rid of that automatic cam  chain tensioner and buy an APE manual tensioner

No offense but keep  your advice .  I dont' want your advice at all, I'm sure the designers over in Japan that created this amazing machine know more than you.  Today the auto tensioner clicked and the engine sounds like a vicious dream.  So my conclusion is your advice is worthless and Japanese designers know what they are doing to minimize my maintenance time.  And for the record on your low oil pressure crap?  Get a clue, your talking to someone who has owned about 20 motor bikes and never takes any engine in to be repaired, I do it all myself, always have always will.  There are lots of smart people in the world.  You might to well to realize, if it aint broken , don't try to fix it.  Sorry, but some of you "negative nancy" types just give the forums a bad rep man.  "GET A LIFE", is appropriate as MOB sig suggests IMO.  I ride bikes,, I don't consider working on them much fun.  I buy good sounding engines to ride them until they die and I get another.  Sorry if you don't like that.  But this now 75K+ C10 is going to last a very long time and runs perfect even under extreme pressure to perform.  I wheely her, I take her past 10k RPM, and I go 130 mph+ on her.  Talk all you want,, it aint going to kill this machine , I know a good sounding engine when I hear one.

Offline JPD

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12064
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2019, 04:08:06 am »
Wow,  why did you ask for help if you knew it all already?

30 plus bikes that were ridden until used up? I have been riding 30 years with only six bikes and never used one up.

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2019, 04:30:22 am »
Dam...to be very honest with you it sounds like cr@p!!

Look Daytona, sorry for jumping on you, but the question was regarding metallic , left side clicking .   It got derailed by people making other "observations" that , frankly are very obvious.  You have a right to your opinion, and are not aware of the circumstances leading to what sounds I posted and why.  As a hint, I'll share that I had just given it a carb sync yesterday, and it was stone cold running with almost no choke.  Everyone knows what happens as they warm up.  I just got tired of explaining that.  I never turn the choke off so quickly , only did it to listen test the top end  and check carb sync (it can idol all the way down to 600 ish reliably).   I have learned you can learn a whole lot by listening to the upper end at extremely low idles.  Maybe I needed to explain that better.  But don't fret, this C10 is in very loving hands, and she knows she's loved.  Yes, I'm a hot head.  I enjoy putting my foot upon peoples faces in real life.  Sorry bout snapping at you.  Nothing worse than a hothead multi black belt C10 rider in a midlife "Crysis" (name of my bike), (aka, grammar nazi MOB bait)

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2019, 04:53:58 am »

Take it with a grain of salt around here man .These are all good folks , ya just gotta take some crap once in awhile...lol. If you want your Concours right , this is the place for sure . If you become a member you have access to the tech pages and Concourier articles . Those are way better that any service manual and beat asking and recieving a bunch of answers . I havent cracked the cover of my manual since I joined and I've had to do plenty of work to my 30 year old bike .

Yeah, sorry bout that, I am a hot head, and pride myself on being able to repair anything myself.  Maybe becoming full member will help me avoid the "obvious " staters?  Anyhow, the first responders were right, the auto tension just clicked and no more metallic noise what so ever, now to learn to use an I phone to post updates and actual running sounds instead of having my daughters Bfriend do it for me?  Naaa ;)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2019, 12:14:59 am »
  Nothing worse than a hothead multi black belt C10 rider in a midlife "Crysis" (name of my bike), (aka, grammar nazi MOB bait)

simply astounding.

Offline donaldj

• Proud Vet!
  • Mini Bike
  • Blessed!
  • COG#: 4879
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2019, 12:51:39 am »
 :rotf
  Nothing worse than a hothead multi black belt C10 rider in a midlife "Crysis" (name of my bike), (aka, grammar nazi MOB bait)

simply astounding.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Vintage43

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2019, 01:23:42 am »
donaldj  OMG,, your pic,, its my bike,, the black with red stripe c10, your instantly an amazing man in my book  :beerchug:  I still am not sure the year, I owe a few hundred on it still and the frame says 91, but registration says 92, but the auto adjuster is post 93.  Though I have the 6 spoke wheels.

Offline donaldj

• Proud Vet!
  • Mini Bike
  • Blessed!
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2019, 11:02:47 am »
Dan, The picture is small and the bike looks black,  the color is actually candy amaranth red with gray lowers, (dark purple), it is a 1999. Your bike was built in late 1991 but was sold as a 1992. The color of the 1991 Connie is candy persimmon red and has white pin striping. I am 75 and have been involved in motorcycling since I was 14, over the years, I have owned a lot of motorcycles and a lot of different brands, some pretty and new and some old and ugly, couldn't afford a pretty one at that time, we were raising 5 children. The thing is I loved all of them. I have been on a lot of forums myself, this one is by far the best! I don't post a lot but I read a lot.  The majority of the people on this site will go out of there way to help you with any problems you may have. Being new to the site with your first Connie they haven't a clue to your knowledge of motorcycles, and I don't think for a minute any one was intentionally talking down to you or questioning your abilities as a mechanic. 

Welcome as a Connie rider, welcome to the forum and as stated earlier consider joining COG.  :beerchug:

Blessings to you and yours and ride safe man!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 11:27:38 am by donaldj »
Vintage43

Offline Boomer

• Crotch Rocket
  • Me dwarfing Vivian
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2019, 02:55:31 pm »
Dan, yer right, the Japanese engineers who designed it know what they are talking about, and they say to set the Idle at 1,000+/-50rpm and 1,200+/-50rpm for Californicated models.
Ya also need to take a few deep breaths before answering some of the comments on here.
Only some of these idiots are trying to wind you up, the rest of us idiots are actually trying to help ya.  :great:
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK
CDA-007

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2019, 03:52:44 pm »
Hahahaha. This thread is getting funny now.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2019, 07:33:15 pm »
Donald,
Interesting you mention about '91 vs '92.
The actual "build date", iirc, is on the white VIN sticker on the steering head, and also stamped into the metal; but more importantly the actual model year can be discerned from the serial number, which would contain the "code" for model year, and "epa zone" (i.e., Cali, or Canada, or Other US model).. that "letter coding" in the VIN detects those...
 no idea why his title/registration shows him a '93... which may be an error...
but unless it was a "rebuild" with '92-'93 plastic, the color schema is pretty much all you can go on without a VIN.

Also, VIN on steering head sticker will often vary from the "engine number" stamped on the top of the case, so that cannot be relied upon to be an accurate "date" thing for the completed bike as sold (no issue, engines were not always stamped with same number from factory).
 ZG1000-A7
        Color: Ebony  (Black with Red pin striping
        Clutch and brake lever reach now adjustable on some models.
 ZG1000-A8
        Color: Ebony. (Black with Red pin striping)

as for his comment about rims and cam chain adjuster,

ALL PRE '94 had the same rims, and the "rotary" CC adjuster.
Ratchet adjuster came later, many people retrofitted them on earlier bikes

http://forum.cog-online.org/1986-2006-zg1000-and-gtr1000/concours-colors-and-changes-through-the-years/

I'm in question about this VIN thing, even tho we have this post doing explanation of the characters... I remember there was something in error on it.

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-c10-zg1000-general-chat-and-tech/vin-numbers/

https://www.motosport.com/blog/how-to-read-and-check-your-motorcycle-or-atv-vin

here's another "online" thing... but it seems full of holes also...

https://www.motorcycleforums.net/forum/tips-training/5800-how-decode-vin-number.html

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:40:53 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2019, 08:03:23 pm »
MOB, is there a way to find out if a bike has the original engine from the vin or engine number comparison.

Offline donaldj

• Proud Vet!
  • Mini Bike
  • Blessed!
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2019, 08:05:48 pm »
MOB. I had to reread his post. The title has it listed as a 92, I think he just kind of threw the 93 year in there. I knew there were more ways to tell a year and the vin # just slipped my mind, I was in a rush. You posted some good info for Dan to do some research with. Thanks for the information.
Ride safe and Blessings to you and yours.
 :great:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:09:04 pm by donaldj »
Vintage43

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2019, 09:44:33 pm »
MOB. I had to reread his post. The title has it listed as a 92, I think he just kind of threw the 93 year in there. I knew there were more ways to tell a year and the vin # just slipped my mind, I was in a rush. You posted some good info for Dan to do some research with. Thanks for the information.
Ride safe and Blessings to you and yours.
 :great:

my pleasure Don, not an issue... he just doesn't like me, because he has no clue about me...or my efforts, and frankly won't listen at times. no big deal. If it soaks in, maybe it will help, if it doesn't...meh.... :rotflmao:
I've been called worse thing than Dork, by people of much higher caliber... ;) ;)

trying to "bait" me anymore, is kinda like throwing "Chum" in your bath tub water... ;)

MOB, is there a way to find out if a bike has the original engine from the vin or engine number comparison.

Easy answer? well, "No.". there is no way... but,
compare what you find, often there WILL be 'similar' number sequence in both,(most do) but it's not gospel on "all" of the year models.. many year/bikes had completely odd engine numbers, and many coincided, it was due to projected builds/prebuilding engines in Japan vs Here/ shipping and supply chain to meet the domestic build schedule/and stock.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 09:54:58 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2019, 09:57:13 pm »
If it helps, the engine on my C-10 originally came off of a 92/93 Black Connie.
It is ZGT00AE0 and a (5 digit number)
It has the newer style tensioner on it...

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!