Author Topic: Looking at buying an '02. Need some advice  (Read 520 times)

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Looking at buying an '02. Need some advice
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2019, 01:48:37 am »

Offline david

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2019, 12:52:30 am »
I’m in LA. Lincoln Alabama myself,    Don’t be scared of a higher mileage bike,  most of the time someone stayed on top of the maintenance,   My 1994. Has 73000.  I’d take her anywhere. 

Offline Bobdog76

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2019, 02:47:20 pm »
1st. time user. Hope it's ok if I join ongoing conversation? All of the info in this conversation is applicable to me, with one exception. My O2 ran great! I'm a disabled vet, traumatic brain injuries affected my balance and I just couldn't handle the bike at that point. I want to get back to riding ASAP, pretty sure I have rewired my brain sufficiently. My bike has been sitting for 2 years, but as I said it was running great when I last rode it. Would I be safe draining old gas, filling up with a gallon fresh fuel and trying to crank it over? Hydrolock scares me. If my carbs are gunked up and I try to start am I risking hydrolock? Guy I bought the bike from was a good mechanic with attention to detail, I could tell that just visiting his shop. Tires are 4 years old with plenty of tread left, should I replace them anyway? I intend to change oil, filters, Lube drain and refill radiator. I apologize if this sounds a bit confused, I am! :-)  fingers are still pretty stupid and my voice recognition software sucks. Thanks for your patience.

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2019, 03:03:41 pm »
Welcome and you should start a new thread.

I would recommend that you change out ALL the fluids and see if there is any fuel leak after letting it sit overnight on the kickstand. You have read all about hydro locks so I won't go into that here.

How was it stored when you stopped riding it? You will likely need the carbs cleaned.

Tires may be fine if it was stored in a garage but rubber does get hard/crack and don't grip after a while. you need to check for that.

1st. time user. Hope it's ok if I join ongoing conversation? All of the info in this conversation is applicable to me, with one exception. My O2 ran great! I'm a disabled vet, traumatic brain injuries affected my balance and I just couldn't handle the bike at that point. I want to get back to riding ASAP, pretty sure I have rewired my brain sufficiently. My bike has been sitting for 2 years, but as I said it was running great when I last rode it. Would I be safe draining old gas, filling up with a gallon fresh fuel and trying to crank it over? Hydrolock scares me. If my carbs are gunked up and I try to start am I risking hydrolock? Guy I bought the bike from was a good mechanic with attention to detail, I could tell that just visiting his shop. Tires are 4 years old with plenty of tread left, should I replace them anyway? I intend to change oil, filters, Lube drain and refill radiator. I apologize if this sounds a bit confused, I am! :-)  fingers are still pretty stupid and my voice recognition software sucks. Thanks for your patience.