Author Topic: Looking for a carb sync tool around NW CT?  (Read 553 times)

Offline Bucky

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11949
  • Membership Level: Active
Looking for a carb sync tool around NW CT?
« on: October 31, 2017, 11:50:26 pm »

I'd be willing to travel to someone in a 100 mile? radius of 06790 or 06018 to use your four channel manometer / carb sync tool on site at your location if that works for you.

Lemme know

Thanks

Antique Machinery Junkie

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
Re: Looking for a carb sync tool around NW CT?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 08:20:53 pm »
Buy one of these, and be done with it...

https://tinyurl.com/yb5fdwo3

No better tool on the market...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 11:43:24 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Pat and Sher in MA

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 7670
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 04:44:12 pm »
Bucky,

Let me know if you still need to sync your carbs, I've got a carb tune in the tool box and I'm in western mass.
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. PM me so I don't miss this thread.
Pat & Sher in Ma.  04 C10 Dark Angel,  87 Ninja 600RX,  85 GPz 750 Turbo, 79 KZ1300 (x2)

Offline drumstyx

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12290
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 11:30:15 pm »

Now that's interesting. I don't know why, but I have a hard time mentally getting over that it's electronic -- mechanical gauges/rods/mercury just makes more sense to me... I'm sure it's good, but I mean, for just about the same price you can get a morgan carbtune with 4 inputs, rather than 2.

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 12:37:16 am »
 :goodpost:  I have a Morgan Carb Tune I bought from another member. A great tool for syncing carbs.   
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Bucky

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 11949
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 09:42:04 pm »
Bucky,

Let me know if you still need to sync your carbs, I've got a carb tune in the tool box and I'm in western mass.
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. PM me so I don't miss this thread.

PM sent. Many thanks.
Money is so tight right now my wallet squeaks every time I open it. Hardy har har.

Antique Machinery Junkie

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 10:52:36 pm »

Now that's interesting. I don't know why, but I have a hard time mentally getting over that it's electronic -- mechanical gauges/rods/mercury just makes more sense to me... I'm sure it's good, but I mean, for just about the same price you can get a morgan carbtune with 4 inputs, rather than 2.
Allow me to explain, and simplify its manner of function.
first off, you don't need 4 circuits... all carb synches are an adjustment between "pairs" of carbs, or throttle bodies...
C10 for example has 3 adjust screws... you synch #1 & #2, then #3 & #4, then the pairs on both banks, #2 & #3... for final adjust.

the electronic portion of the TwinMax, is a simple yet very adjustable and highly precise electronic "balance" needle, that does the 'A to B' comparison. it is "zeroed" manually prior to beginning, so there is no possibility of inequality between "A and B". :great:
you can adjust the sensitivity if so desired, to a point where you can see the reaction points of the intake valves working on the tract.. that's overkill, but in all earnest, due to the design does show extreme precision when syncing.
My personal experience, and feelings over 45 years of doing vacuum adjustments, have had me experiment with all manners of tools, and when you have 4 circuits, you have 4x the opportunity for differences in precision, of manufacture that come into play.. 4 different tubes, 4 different slugs of metal being sucked upon, 4 different states of wear on each physical part doing the work to "show" what the vacuum is.. same as 4 individual vac gauges... are they all Identical? no.

The Morgan tool works fine, but its kind of a pain to transport. I have also played with it, and found on occasion, when you get all 4 sources "perfect", and then switch the hoses around to check the tool... readings may differ..  ::) ::)
Same as I found with Vacuum "dial gauges".. :-X :-X

Mind you, I have owned and used many different products, and in the end, sold them all off, and keep my TwinMax, and my original set of Mercury filled Genuine Kawasaki 4 tube metering stick. Only reason I keep that tool, besides its cool, original, and 40 years old, is the fact it is a precision glass tube device, that allows me to do actual "millimeter of mercury" measurements, when desired.
The actual glass tubes have an inside diameter of 1mm (.039") and are almost 36" long.. tough tool to protect for 40 years...
 :-\

Lots of folks make their own versions of Manometers, using ATF and plastic tubing... and they kinda work also. but a 1/4" i.d. plastic hose is pretty crude.....  in comparison. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline drumstyx

• Road Bike
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 11:19:32 pm »
I get it man, but, at least in theory, only a mercury tool is *truly* accurate, as far as I can tell. Even the Morgan tool has springs that technically need to be calibrated (and aren't user calibrate-able, IIRC).

An electronic tool has that same lack of calibration potential -- if it's using 2 pressure sensors, and reading from each, those sensors could technically be slightly different.

All that said, balancing is really just for idle and just-off-idle performance. My carbs were bench-synced from Steve, and ran pretty bang-on when I installed them on my new engine. Using a dial gauge set made things slightly better, but really, it doesn't need to be any better now. It probably doesn't need to be as crazy precise as it can be.

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 11:34:12 pm »
I am a fan of the dreaded mercury balance stix myself. <looks to the left, then looks to the right> and I even have two of them 'cause one is not enough to balance all the intakes on a KZ1300. :-) The slick thing about using them in pairs is that they align so easily with each other and basically become one bank of up to eight sensors operating in unison.

To the best of my knowledge, they are no longer available. The next best thing these days is to build a differential manometer using transmission fluid. That works very well but does not damp and settle down as well as mercury IME if for no other reason than mercury is so heavy.

Brian

I get it man, but, at least in theory, only a mercury tool is *truly* accurate, as far as I can tell. Even the Morgan tool has springs that technically need to be calibrated (and aren't user calibrate-able, IIRC).

An electronic tool has that same lack of calibration potential -- if it's using 2 pressure sensors, and reading from each, those sensors could technically be slightly different.

All that said, balancing is really just for idle and just-off-idle performance. My carbs were bench-synced from Steve, and ran pretty bang-on when I installed them on my new engine. Using a dial gauge set made things slightly better, but really, it doesn't need to be any better now. It probably doesn't need to be as crazy precise as it can be.
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline drumstyx

• Road Bike
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 11:47:13 pm »
I am a fan of the dreaded mercury balance stix myself. <looks to the left, then looks to the right> and I even have two of them 'cause one is not enough to balance all the intakes on a KZ1300. :-) The slick thing about using them in pairs is that they align so easily with each other and basically become one bank of up to eight sensors operating in unison.

To the best of my knowledge, they are no longer available. The next best thing these days is to build a differential manometer using transmission fluid. That works very well but does not damp and settle down as well as mercury IME if for no other reason than mercury is so heavy.

Brian

The crazy thing is, I could easily buy mercury, but I don't of any manufacturers making mercury balancers these days.

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 12:17:33 am »
you will never find a mercury stick set produced today.
Mine are 40+ years old.. sorry.
they work.
There are no "springs" etc., in a Morgan.. just metal slugs.

the TwinMax operates on a diaphragm, with suction on either side, which has an adjustment to show via a left/right needle meter, which side sucks more... when no suction is applied, centralizing the needle "zeros" the function prior to using the balancing ... sensitivity is adjustable via the electric pulse, and signal..

Offline drumstyx

• Road Bike
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 08:06:48 pm »
they work.

the TwinMax operates on a diaphragm, with suction on either side, which has an adjustment to show via a left/right needle meter, which side sucks more... when no suction is applied, centralizing the needle "zeros" the function prior to using the balancing ... sensitivity is adjustable via the electric pulse, and signal..

Saber Cycle still sells mercury sticks, but I've never had the drive to do it, since I'd also have to get my own mercury since they don't ship the mercury out of the USA.

EDIT: Link for future readers: http://www.saber-cycle.com/store/product1001.html
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:42:10 pm by drumstyx »

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 10:33:03 pm »
they work.

Saber Cycle still sells mercury sticks, but I've never had the drive to do it, since I'd also have to get my own mercury since they don't ship the mercury out of the USA.

Thanks for the Saber link...
I was very surprised they had sticks, and mercury...
the price they have on the juice is a bit high tho, it can be found for much less

https://tinyurl.com/y7pkqlu6

half the price, for 2x more.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:38:29 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9506
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 04:46:01 am »
I was very surprised they had sticks, and mercury...
the price they have on the juice is a bit high tho, it can be found for much less

https://tinyurl.com/y7pkqlu6

half the price, for 2x more.
But is that motorcycle specific, JASO certified, full synthetic mercury?   ;D
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157 
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited - "Outback's Outback"
1998 Subaru Forester L 2.5 - "Subarugdu"