Author Topic: Looking for Tips on Fuel Tank Draining  (Read 295 times)

Offline Scott_Kaplan_ME

• Mini Bike
  • Hi.
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 3512
  • Membership Level: Active
Looking for Tips on Fuel Tank Draining
« on: May 30, 2019, 02:05:46 pm »
Hi All,

Been an eon since I've lurked on the forum. I guess I'm fortunate to be relatively free from maintenance issues for a very long time.

I'm warming up to replace a leaky petcock on my '99. I assume I need to drain the fuel tank for this, so I'm looking for some tips on how to do that effectively. Also, about how much new fuel hose should I have on hand as it seems like a good idea to replace that at the same time everything is apart.

Cheers,
Scott

Offline crag antler

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8277
Re: Looking for Tips on Fuel Tank Draining
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 02:19:49 pm »
I can help with the tank part. :)
Changing my petcock, I put the fuel line into my gas can and put the PRIME setting on.
Only drained enough gas so that when I tip the tank onto its right side, it doesn’t leak out of the filler cap and you can change the petcock.
Hope this helps
Doug aka crag antler
00 Kawasaki Concours 60,000+ miles. Bar risers, Murphs kneesavers, blockoff plates, allen head screw set,headlight upgrade. LED headlight, driving lights, JC Whitney trunk, Go Pro mount,’06 header w/Jet-Hot ceramic coating, over flow tubes and Performance Exhaust Sprocket by SISF

Offline Scott_Kaplan_ME

• Mini Bike
  • Hi.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 03:51:21 pm »
Perfect! That's right; on prime gas just flows. Thanks for the tip!

Scott

Offline crag antler

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8277
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 04:08:57 pm »
Glad I can finally help on the COG :))
Doug aka crag antler
00 Kawasaki Concours 60,000+ miles. Bar risers, Murphs kneesavers, blockoff plates, allen head screw set,headlight upgrade. LED headlight, driving lights, JC Whitney trunk, Go Pro mount,’06 header w/Jet-Hot ceramic coating, over flow tubes and Performance Exhaust Sprocket by SISF

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 04:28:46 pm »
Hey Scott... it HAS been a while.

As far as how much hose.  Hose is relatively cheap and I like to have 2x or more what is used in the OEM install on hand. Sometimes I screw up the measure twice, cut once rule and it's nice to have extra to wrap up the job correctly.

If you decide to use PTFE type fuel line, a common issue is the line kinking in the turns when the line warms up - BTDT. Others may have good rule of thumb on the correct amount of line to use to make a bend that will not kink.
| Steve Smith | COG #3184 |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline Scott_Kaplan_ME

• Mini Bike
  • Hi.
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 09:57:11 am »
Got the OEM replacement petcock installed last night. Quite easy overall. I set up my two saw horses side-by-side next to the bike to use as a cradle for the gas tank once it was disconnected and pulled off the bike. An empty 5-gallong gas can sat below, raised on a concrete block. I affixed a length of hose to the petcock and ran it into the mouth of the gas can, swung the petcock to PRIME, and let the fuel drain out. Eventually I had to tip the tank to the left and hold it that way for a while, but I got 95% of the fuel out that way. Enough so I could then place it on a blanket on the floor, tip it to the right and unbolt the old petcock without worrying about fuel leaking out the filler hole or the petcock hole. While the tank was off I changed out the tank mounting fasteners with the Bergmen kit https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_94&products_id=101&osCsid=wQFHel1MeurooadL08uVb1.

Off and riding leak free.