Author Topic: Lost my rubber  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
  • Membership Level: Active
Lost my rubber
« on: April 03, 2014, 03:18:14 am »
   Did a 60 mile ride the other day and about 3 blocks from home I heard a loud rattle like very loose valves. After I got home I put my hearing aids in and "WOW" it was quite noisy. First thing I checked was the valve adjusters. They were good. So I hooked my aux tank and started her up. Found the noise right away. Looks like I lost the "rubber" on the valve chain guide between the cam gears. Have a new one on order. Anyone else have a similar problem with this. Thinking the new cam chain I put in a 1000 mile ago finished it off. ???
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Lost my rubber
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 10:57:17 am »
Mettler1,
Any time I have replaced a chain drive in a car or truck or anything else I ALWAYS replace all the chain guides and tensioner parts as a preventative measure. Maybe you should consider it?
Matt
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline wild man

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 6174
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 11:09:43 am »
I would've never thougt to replace that guide, good idea though.  The guide after the tensioner for sure...
Bill
USAF Ret, KC0IGL
AMA#333772, IBA#19247
2003 Connie Constance 125K and counting
2007 KLR 650, 1997 ATK 605

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 07:01:54 pm »
were you running a manual adjuster or OEM?

just asking.... :-X

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 07:16:31 pm »
Woah, thats a scary part to lose. Anything involving that chain can be bad news I feel like.
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 08:54:51 pm »
were you running a manual adjuster or OEM?

just asking.... :-X

OEM adjuster. Looks like the cam chain guide between the cam gears just wore out.
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 02:55:15 am »
   Did a 60 mile ride the other day and about 3 blocks from home I heard a loud rattle like very loose valves. After I got home I put my hearing aids in and "WOW" it was quite noisy. First thing I checked was the valve adjusters. They were good. So I hooked my aux tank and started her up. Found the noise right away. Looks like I lost the "rubber" on the valve chain guide between the cam gears. Have a new one on order. Anyone else have a similar problem with this. Thinking the new cam chain I put in a 1000 mile ago finished it off. ???
  Found the problem!! I replaced the top cam chain guide with a new one. No help!!  With some help from an expert I checked the bolts on the cam gears that hold the cam gears to the Torque cams I installed a year ago. Found one loose on the intake cam gear. Could not feel the gear being loose but it was enough to make a lot of noise!! Apparently when I install the Torque cams I used Locktite on the exhaust cam gear bolts but forgot to do the intake gear. Put Locktite on ALL the bolts again so they are tight again. If the sprocket had come off it probably would destroyed the engine!!

Started her back up it sounds normal again. WHEW!! I'll be back on the road tomorrow.  :) :)

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 01:40:50 pm »
  Found the problem!! I replaced the top cam chain guide with a new one. No help!!  With some help from an expert I checked the bolts on the cam gears that hold the cam gears to the Torque cams I installed a year ago. Found one loose on the intake cam gear. Could not feel the gear being loose but it was enough to make a lot of noise!! Apparently when I install the Torque cams I used Locktite on the exhaust cam gear bolts but forgot to do the intake gear. Put Locktite on ALL the bolts again so they are tight again. If the sprocket had come off it probably would destroyed the engine!!

Started her back up it sounds normal again. WHEW!! I'll be back on the road tomorrow.  :) :)

Woah, good catch. That could have been bad!

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 02:09:13 pm »
   Well it pays to be nice to people who know stuff!! :great:

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 01:36:55 am »
   Well, put the bike back together today. A little cleanup and put the plastic back on and no parts left over. :great:

Warmed it up and did a ride of my favorite circuit. I have had this bike for 20 yrs  and over 100,000 miles and it just keeps getting better. Upgrades help and there are plenty of them!! The 2 minute mod and overflow tubes are a must. Then the stick coils and TCro shift linkage are a nice addition and so are the others. For me the best performance mods are the7th gear mod and Torque cams. Really make the bike fun to ride. It wasn't a long ride today but I have the feeling that I have made the bike my own.
   It just does what I want in a bike. As you might have guessed I really proud of this Concours. :) :)

Offline Coldfinger

• Moped
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 01:53:50 am »
I thought my guide between the cams was about worn out so I bought a new one for the next valve adjust.  The new one looked almost exactly like the one which was in there.  That wear/rub strip is thin even on new ones.  I just kept using the old one and the new one is still on the shelf.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 02:13:56 am »
   To tell you the truth because the noise was so bad I assumed it was that. I ordered the guide between the cams and installed it but the noise was still there which is now solved. Have to say guide didn't look that bad even after 100,000 miles.

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 03:09:34 am »
Love it, these bikes are pretty awesome. Over what time span did you get her up to 100K

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 03:33:23 am »
   The 100,000 miles is over 20 yrs. Got it new in '94. My wife and I have been to about 10 COG rallies. Also to the east and west coast and in between. Been as far south as N. Carolina. Bike never failed us once. Did a few man trips with a COG friend in Wisconsin. Don't do the real long trips anymore but it's been a great ride. On the long rides my wife would actually nod off once in awhile. Nice bike and got even better with the good farkles.