Author Topic: Maintenance and the new owner  (Read 152016 times)

Offline Mcfly

• Stayin' for the people....
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9921
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Maintenance and the new owner
« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2016, 10:06:26 pm »

I've just always asked 'why?'.

I'm glad you wrote that. I've just always asked "why" too, and it's p*ssed people off ever since I was a little kid. Never meant to, often it was seen as being disobedient or argumentative. At this point I try to preface my questions so that folks understand I'm trying to learn, not just be a contentious, difficult  p. i. t. a.   ;) ;) ;) Steve

Feelin' your pain guys.  Knowing how to fix something was never enough.  I wanted to know how it worked, why it broke, and
what the fix is doing to make it right.  People think I'm crazy because I have no fear when it comes to tearing something apart
to see why it isn't working, and if I can fix it...  It's a behavioral disorder.  :)
2016 BMW S1000XR Premium in Alpine White aka 'Spooky'

SOLD: 2006 Concours aka "Connie"

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline ajsfirehawk

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12298
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2016, 12:29:21 am »
+1 to both SIFS and McFly's comments.  if you don't hack off your mentor, you end up in a better place.  Going through and adjustment sequence may fix something and make it run.  Clean lube and adjust fixed 85% of the stuff I run into.  It is what happens when that doesn't work.  If you know why you are doing each adjustment, it helps you do PD/PSI and get to root cause when the cookbook doesn't work.  Onward through the fog.
Each time I finish a ride, I'm thinking about the next time I'll get to ride.
06 ZG1000
83 KZ1100 LTD
81 KZ440 LTD
79 KZ650 D2

Offline Dricardo1

• Big Wheels
  • Live to Ride, Ride to Live
    • Don Ricardo JR - Web Design
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2016, 05:29:20 pm »
Thanks, Steve.
Just purchased a great used 2004 Connie and will do just as you say here. I hope you still do the carb mods, etc.... Love the youTube vids, btw.
Take care,
Don
"Victory is won not in miles but in inches. Win a little now, hold your ground, and later, win a little more.

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet that will be the beginning.

Nobody got anywhere in the world by simply being content." ~ Louis L'Amour

Offline Dricardo1

• Big Wheels
« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2016, 05:32:50 pm »
@group and @Steve, could I get some good tire and fluid recommendations (or point me to posts) for my "new to me" 2004 Connie?  Tire's look good, but a few years old, so what do I know? Noob rider, here. Thanks!
"Victory is won not in miles but in inches. Win a little now, hold your ground, and later, win a little more.

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet that will be the beginning.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2016, 12:38:46 am »
@group and @Steve, could I get some good tire and fluid recommendations (or point me to posts) for my "new to me" 2004 Connie?  Tire's look good, but a few years old, so what do I know? Noob rider, here. Thanks!
Tires:

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=25607.0;topicseen

Oil:

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?board=3.0

Brake/clutch fluid DOT4

Coolant: silicate free anti freeze with a touch of Water wetter.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline Dricardo1

• Big Wheels
« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2016, 02:08:43 am »
Tires:

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=25607.0;topicseen

Oil:

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?board=3.0

Brake/clutch fluid DOT4

Coolant: silicate free anti freeze with a touch of Water wetter.

Thanks!!

Offline rusty

• Big Wheels
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2016, 08:57:09 am »
sorry probably the wrong section,,,but having problems with throttle control housing,,  problem in that its cracked and broken on the bottom where throttle cables go in,, also cable with adjuster the plastic L is broken,,,any ideas? other than throwing money at it,,,,thanks

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2016, 09:54:47 am »
If a new Concourse 10 owner is intimidated by the advise given here I think it is really a good thing. A rider that thinks you can buy a used 10 to 20+ year old bike and thinks it is turn key needs a little reality check. That's why this site and people like Steve really promote riding and necessary new owner/used bike maintenance. Just a few basic can ensure a quick reliable bike and riding experience. Another reason this might be the best motorcycle forum.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline Mcfly

• Stayin' for the people....
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2016, 11:07:30 pm »
 :iagree: 

Having bought into an '06 a few years ago, I've spent more than I'd ever would have thought.  I'll admit a lot of $$$ was
making the bike 'better' for me, but a low mileage C-10 will require an 'investment' to get it up to spec, in time, labor and money.
Cutting corners on maintenance is NOT an option...  It's money/time well spent, that eventually pays in dividends in the long haul.
2016 BMW S1000XR Premium in Alpine White aka 'Spooky'

SOLD: 2006 Concours aka "Connie"

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline Locomotiveman

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12297
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2016, 07:12:36 pm »
Now THIS is Funny, Steve.. As in Funny/Odd. I really thought I had a deal on a North Dakota Concours. A DONE deal. Wrong!! It was a Cockamamie Deal gone way wrong. I even bragged here what a nice deal that bike was gonna be with some TLC. BUT... I didn't lose a dime. I figure, "Maybe sumpthin' better will come along. Maybe.
Today I'm packing for Europe n Russia and my DREAM ZG1000 hits Craig's List. A COG'ers Bike. Bam. 19,000 miles, overflow tubes by STEVE, bars risers, Rifle windshield, backrest etc. BUT I GOTTA BUY IT 'Sight Unseen'....cuz I'm hoppin' on a plane...like NOW !! (But if the Tubes were dun by STEVE...I'm buyin' it.) The check is in the Mail.   Locomotiveman Tom from Minnesota.
If the TRUTH is crystal clear..I must need glasses.

Offline jettawreck

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2016, 09:52:21 pm »
Now THIS is Funny, Steve.. As in Funny/Odd. I really thought I had a deal on a North Dakota Concours. A DONE deal. Wrong!! It was a Cockamamie Deal gone way wrong. I even bragged here what a nice deal that bike was gonna be with some TLC. BUT... I didn't lose a dime. I figure, "Maybe sumpthin' better will come along. Maybe.
Today I'm packing for Europe n Russia and my DREAM ZG1000 hits Craig's List. A COG'ers Bike. Bam. 19,000 miles, overflow tubes by STEVE, bars risers, Rifle windshield, backrest etc. BUT I GOTTA BUY IT 'Sight Unseen'....cuz I'm hoppin' on a plane...like NOW !! (But if the Tubes were dun by STEVE...I'm buyin' it.) The check is in the Mail.   Locomotiveman Tom from Minnesota.

I am sure you will be very happy with it.
Yep, SISF carb work with overflow tubes (of course) complete kits, 2 minute jet mod, exhaust sprocket, new unmounted front tire, etc.
I must say, it is/was/will be the strangest transaction I've ever been contacted
Going to miss the 2005 C10, but it stays here for my viewing pleasure (next to the ST1300) until Tom gets back from Europe. Sort of a leap of faith on both our parts, but it is minnesota ya know..
Snowmobiles, I have a bunch.
Motorcycles-I haven't had anything except dirtbikes 30 years ago, so this will be all new to me.
2005 C10 with Rifle w/s, SISF Exhaust sprocket, overflow tubes, 2 minute jet mod. (SOLD)
2004 Honda ST1300-the current mule.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2016, 02:52:26 am »

I am sure you will be very happy with it.
Yep, SISF carb work with overflow tubes (of course) complete kits, 2 minute jet mod, exhaust sprocket, new unmounted front tire, etc.
I must say, it is/was/will be the strangest transaction I've ever been contacted
Going to miss the 2005 C10, but it stays here for my viewing pleasure (next to the ST1300) until Tom gets back from Europe. Sort of a leap of faith on both our parts, but it is minnesota ya know..

SEE! Fairy tales do come true. :) :)
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Hans

• Big Wheels
  • 50+ years of riding.
  • COG#: 12378
« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2016, 05:06:51 pm »
I bought a Blue 01 ZG1000 on April first of this year, it had 12,207 miles on the odometer.  I was worried that it could have 112,207 because the final drive is making noise, a slight hummmm...   I tore into it to adjust the valves, replace the plugs, change oil and filter plus final drive lube (I never believe previous owners) and resync the carbs.  It still had the factory pant on the valve lash adjusters, they needed adjusting but were not way off from specs.  So I do believe the 12,207 miles figure and concluded the final drive lube had never been changed.  It's the big ring gear bearing making the noise, not sure I can replace just that bearing.... Now has 17,105 and it was on my lift for a total of 4 weeks.....

I paid $2,000 for it but have put another $1,500 into getting it where it fits me better.

I also have a 1984 ZX750-E1 GPZ Turbo that I bought wrecked with 395 miles July 22, 1984.  I got the C10 so I would stop putting so many miles on the Turbo bike....
My other bike is an 84 750 Turbo Kaw.  I bought this 01 C10 so I would stop putting so many miles on the Turbo, it worked...

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2016, 05:21:38 pm »
Welcome Wizard. But Change your forum user id. There is someone else with that same handle.

Offline Rock

• Tricycle
« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2016, 12:26:06 pm »
I have a 2001 game 1000 concourse it runs good at the low-end speeds but I can't get like beyond 80 miles an hour it has no power on the highway I have the aftermarket carburetor kit with the sponges that controls the air I wonder is that getting enough fuel or not getting enough air  any help out there

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2016, 01:38:31 pm »
First; {to help you} we need more information.
ie; Is it just lacking power, or is it missing at higher speeds?

Second; The carb kit your indicating, is Steve's 2 Min Jett Kit.
  {He's a bit busy right now recovering from a Hurricane}.
Installed properly the kit should increase power.
Installed incorrectly, it's possible it could hurt. {but I suspect the kit is not your problem}

If installed properly, the foam should "partially" block part of "one" of the intake ports "into" the airbox.
We've heard of some folks installing the foam in the wrong places....
Where is your foam located?

NOTE: The simplest way to determine if the foam is the problem is,, simply remove the foam...
          If removing the foam changes anything, get back with us/Steve and we can give more info.

Ride safe, Ted

14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Rock

• Tricycle
« Reply #116 on: October 08, 2016, 03:50:59 pm »
 It's installed on the right side of the airbox and there's it's not missing or backfiring it just seems to not have the power around 4000 RPM In six gear

Offline Rock

• Tricycle
« Reply #117 on: October 08, 2016, 04:05:21 pm »
 OK I'm just learning how to use this post sorry everyone I have a 2000 1ZG 1000 concourse that doesn't have no power on the highway I have a two minute jet kit from's after market that you tune with sponges I have the sponges in the right side of the airbox I don't have Highway power  it seems to have low and power but starts to lose power up around 4000 RPMs especially in six year

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2016, 04:11:46 pm »
Ok, that sounds correct.
Ensure that the entire port is not covered.

View Steve's procedure to do the airbox tune...

It's starting to sound like you may have had a hydrolock and bent a rod.
  {One slightly bent rod can run fine, but lack power because of decreased compression}

View Steve's procedure on measuring for a bent rod.

NOTE: The bike is not loosing power in sixth.
          It's not making sufficient power to rev to higher rpm's in that gear...

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Rock

• Tricycle
« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2016, 04:18:13 pm »
Thanks Ted I thought these new carburetors were ment to prevent Hydro lock could it be a to lean to rich scenario

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #120 on: October 08, 2016, 04:50:06 pm »
The stand pipes in the carbs are supposed to prevent hydrolock.
I'm under the impression that you just got this machine?
If so, perhaps the prior owner had a hydrolock and installed the jett kit in an attempt to solve a problem?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Rock

• Tricycle
« Reply #121 on: October 08, 2016, 05:12:24 pm »
 Yes it's possibility I'm wondering if maybe also my valves need to be adjusted and I'm I have loss of power that way  i'll do a Hydro lock test on it when I can see if the piston are all same height  should I not write it if it's got a bent rod

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #122 on: October 08, 2016, 08:35:43 pm »
Riding it (if it has a slight bend) shouldn't be a problem.
If it were bent badly you would know it.

NOTE: I am not absolutely saying it has a bent rod.
          Could be other things.
          But, it should be checked.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2016, 03:09:09 pm »
where did you get the aftermarket carb parts? shoodabeen engineering?

Offline Rock

• Tricycle
« Reply #124 on: October 11, 2016, 11:03:07 pm »
 Hey there yes he got the parts from should've been engineering I did a Hydro lock test on the bike it's not Hydro lock to check the spark plugs out and measured each piston they're all equal  just have a lack of power it is backfiring after getting off the throttle  I change the oil I have new spark plugs I have the largest sponge of the three in the air intake on the right-hand side of the airbox I did notice some fuel leaking from the herb box where the filter goes in once it does look a lot