Author Topic: Maintenance and the new owner  (Read 68683 times)

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8645
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Maintenance and the new owner
« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2016, 12:30:40 pm »
I have a 2001 game 1000 concourse it runs good at the low-end speeds but I can't get like beyond 80 miles an hour it has no power on the highway I have the aftermarket carburetor kit with the sponges that controls the air I wonder is that getting enough fuel or not getting enough air  any help out there

Your problem seems simular to a problem my friend had on his 88 C10.  He said it seemed to run fine at low speeds and his idle was fine but it would not go over 80 to 85 mph on the highway.  This all started after he did a valve adjust so he knew it should have gone much faster than that.

I went over to help him check over the valve adjust he had done and long story short his problem turned out to be he had put his plug wires on numbered to the firing order instead of the cylinder numbers.  The #3 and #4 were swapped so he was only running on the #1 + #2.

Rock,  start your bike and let it warm up a little then check the header pipes with a laser temp gun or by spraying water on them to see if their all getting to around the same temp.

The wires on the left coil should go to the #1 plug (left most plug when sitting on the bike) and the #4 plug. (right most plug)  The wires on the right coil should go to the #2 and #3 plugs.  (two plugs in the middle)  The cylinders are numbered 1-4 going from left to right when sitting on the bike.
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours / 2014 Kawasaki Concours 1400  COG memb# 8645

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2016, 02:25:15 pm »
I did notice some fuel leaking from the herb box where the filter goes in once it does look a lot

Can you explain this sentence?
If you have fuel leaking into the air box, you have carb problems.

One thing we haven't thought of is insufficient fuel.
If your lacking power at higher rpm's or under load, it's possible the fuel line is kinked and your not getting enough fuel.
Sometimes the kinked fuel hose if fine until the engine heats things up.
It doesn't cause problems until the engine heat softens the hose and allows it to bend a bit more.
Check your fuel line...

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline Corlitoa

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #127 on: November 02, 2016, 02:48:05 am »
Hi guys I'm new to this group I just got my Concours 1000 2 weeks ago and I'm loving it I just have a quick question about the cam chain tensioner mine is making a small rattling noise when idling is there a way I can adjust the original one or I just have to buy a new one I don't want to get the manual one I was reading something about taking the middle school out and type in it in the center will the screw goes with a small screwdriver and then reinstalling the spring and the pin again

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #128 on: November 02, 2016, 02:19:30 pm »
You have the idea right.
If your bike makes the noise primarily at idle until it warms up,,, it may help.
How many miles on the bike?

Carefully remove the top screw.
  (Be careful when you do as a spring and small pin will jump out).
Put a flat ended punch or screwdriver in the hole.
It will rest against the adjuster when inserted.
Give the punch a sharp tap. (Don't bash the hell out of it).
If there is sufficient chain slack the adjuster will move to the next step and quieten the motor.
Re-install pin/spring top bolt, and see if it helped.

NOTE: All Connies have a certain amount of chain noise, I suggest you compare with others.

I suggest; join the club and come ride with us.
                Then you'll have lots of Connies to compare with and I guarantee you'll like the group!

Ride safe, Ted

14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12666
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2017, 01:50:50 am »
Well Steve and his YouTube videos is what brought me to COG . Ihave to say sounds like solid advice, bikes do fall over the plastics on mine are proof  :))
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.