Author Topic: Maintenance and the new owner  (Read 138467 times)

Offline KyleC

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Maintenance and the new owner
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2015, 05:43:49 pm »
Thanks for this post! Just bought my first Connie yesterday so this post was perfectly perfect timed.   :great:

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2015, 08:11:37 pm »
Wish I knew the answer.
As I recall, What Norm made was not lowering likes like those used on the C-10.
The lowering links for the C-14 (that I use) are built by Muzzy. Do a search there first.
Or just google C-10 Lower links ...

Here is another discussion you should see.
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,58807.0/topicseen.html

Hopefully while your looking,,, someone will come up with a better answer than I can give you.

To get a quicker response; Go back to your original post and add, need to Lower my C-10.
That should get some quick response's...

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 08:15:43 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Fletch

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2015, 04:13:08 pm »
Thanks for the info. I am looking at buying an 03 with 66,000 miles. Besides fluids and rubber, what else should I look at or ask the current owner about? This hydrolock is off putting to a prospective buyer.

Offline RodWpg

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2015, 04:26:50 pm »
Thanks for the info. I am looking at buying an 03 with 66,000 miles. Besides fluids and rubber, what else should I look at or ask the current owner about? This hydrolock is off putting to a prospective buyer.

If it makes you feel any better a lot of carburated bikes never had overflows and were subject to hydrolock....TWO things have to fail at the same time for it to occur, petcock And needle valve. Rust in the tank is one thing to look for that does cause this.
2003 concours winnipeg manitoba canada

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2015, 04:38:02 pm »
Rod is correct. I would go ahead and check for the usual stuff (leaks, rust, damage, etc.) you check for with any used bike. Do a google search and you will find plenty of info on that.

You can request a hydrolock test but I doubt the seller will be willing to open up the top end of his bike for that. Worth a try if it concerns you.

Offline Skisnh

• Moped
  • "better than I deserve"
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2015, 06:48:41 pm »
Rod is correct. I would go ahead and check for the usual stuff (leaks, rust, damage, etc.) you check for with any used bike. Do a google search and you will find plenty of info on that.

You can request a hydrolock test but I doubt the seller will be willing to open up the top end of his bike for that. Worth a try if it concerns you.

The hydrolock test was a condition of sale when I bought mine...it isnt that tough, you can do it with just the Tank removed (and coils out of the way)
2006 zg1000
2007 ktm 250 xcw

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2015, 12:14:05 am »
Unless you're buying a $200 basket case, a hydrolock check, or more preferable for me, a compression test, is not an unreasonable thing to ask. For me, no test, no sale.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline Moonshine

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2015, 12:22:04 pm »
I am a new C10 owner, picked up a 2000 in May as my daily commuter. I was looking for a bike that had been ridden but not abused. I have 4 other bikes in the garage but with a daily 100 mile round trip, through Los Angeles,  I needed something dependable, comfortable and narrower than my  Harley baggers. I found exactly what I set out to find. not quite 19K on the clock, ran perfect in really great shape new tire on the rear within 6 months and one on the front within 18 months. Service and valve adjustment within the last 6 months as well. I know these bikes tend to book for way less than they are worth so I plunked down 2400 and away I rode. I absolutely love this bike. Hopefully I can ride it for 2 years and do nothing but oil changes, tires and brake pads. 500 Miles a week will put me at 70k on the clock.  I do have a car but only drive it when I have to.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2015, 01:16:37 am »
I am a new C10 owner, picked up a 2000 in May as my daily commuter. I was looking for a bike that had been ridden but not abused. I have 4 other bikes in the garage but with a daily 100 mile round trip, through Los Angeles,  I needed something dependable, comfortable and narrower than my  Harley baggers. I found exactly what I set out to find. not quite 19K on the clock, ran perfect in really great shape new tire on the rear within 6 months and one on the front within 18 months. Service and valve adjustment within the last 6 months as well. I know these bikes tend to book for way less than they are worth so I plunked down 2400 and away I rode. I absolutely love this bike. Hopefully I can ride it for 2 years and do nothing but oil changes, tires and brake pads. 500 Miles a week will put me at 70k on the clock.  I do have a car but only drive it when I have to.
Do check the valves once in a while. And change coolant and hoses and o rings, oh my
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
before asking some question... ask yourself am I being descriptive enough...
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2015, 08:44:18 pm »
this just came up, and I have to agree,
before a newb asks a qustion they think we should be able to solve, please take the time to outline everything we need...
bike year
miles
how long you owned it
how many miles you put on
what mods done prior
what mods you just made
what did you do just prior to the issue.....

what is your skill level
Perhaps someone could write a tutorial on asking questions the smart way.

http://youtu.be/KeFoGo3N_4g

this is what we get daily, please help US to help YOU...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline HaVoC

• ~HaVoC~
  • Tricycle
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2016, 03:23:23 am »
Well I can see my choice to break my ZG1000 down and go over if not flat out replace anything that may cause an issue is a wise move. I need to look at the papers for the bike which I dont have right off hand so not sure of the year but I do know its a Concours ZG1000 with 45K miles, been laid down on each side by last owner and then sat for lord knows how long. Right out the gate it has a jammed/non functioning petcock and leaking on the number 2 carb from the left side.

Aside from fuel system issues the engine seems to be just in need of fluids being changed and maybe a good cleaning. I am glad that you said good looking old tires should be replaced. This was one aspect I surly over looked as both front and back look in good shape but were both low/flat after sitting so long, Will replace instead of risking it. I do look forward to any and all advice I can get on this bike. I owned a Ninja 900 some years ago but it was brand new and sold it before it ever had an issue so this will be my first restore of a bike.

Offline Shawn

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12217
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2016, 01:09:11 am »
The Steve(s) of Florida  :You_Rock_Emoticon:
HMR #6 (May 2-5), Greenbrier, AR

'14 C14 Black

Offline Locomotiveman

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12297
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2016, 01:01:15 am »
Wow. What a GREAT bike Forum. Some are...some aren't. If all goes well tomorrow my Bike #14 will be a Connie, born in 1998. With NEW tires!! Since 1963, from Honda Super90 to Electra-Glides, to bad-a**; I liked all 13. Stand by. Locomotiveman Tom
If the TRUTH is crystal clear..I must need glasses.

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2016, 01:12:16 am »
Welcome.  Post some pics in the intro section.

Offline Locomotiveman

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12297
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2016, 02:23:48 am »
I sure will. Gotta read lotsa old threads now... Locomotiveman Tom
If the TRUTH is crystal clear..I must need glasses.

Offline Art

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12266
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2016, 02:37:40 am »
Thanks for the advice. Just got my 2008 Concours, used from a dealer. Since she's been here, she's been in the garage. I plan on doing a good inspection followed by oil and filter change, air filter change, and change the final drive lube. I plan on taking care of this bike. I have a little experience, this is my third bike. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2016, 12:36:59 am »
Thanks for the advice. Just got my 2008 Concours, used from a dealer. Since she's been here, she's been in the garage. I plan on doing a good inspection followed by oil and filter change, air filter change, and change the final drive lube. I plan on taking care of this bike. I have a little experience, this is my third bike. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.
Don't forget the hydraulic fluids

Offline ajsfirehawk

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12298
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2016, 02:49:15 am »
Is a Murph's manual petcock conversion protection against hydro-lock?  I just bought my 06 C-10 with 25K miles from RobC a COG advocate.  He has done most of the items recommended here, but he didn't add overflow tubes.  Seems to me a manual petcock (and proper usage of it) eliminates the hydrolock concern, but please tell me what I'm missing if I'm wrong.
PS - love the post
Each time I finish a ride, I'm thinking about the next time I'll get to ride.
06 ZG1000
83 KZ1100 LTD
81 KZ440 LTD
79 KZ650 D2

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2016, 08:56:58 am »
aj,
The ONLY thing that eliminates a hydrolock situation is OVERFLOW TUBES. A hydrolock can occur if the bike doesn't start right away after you turn on the petcock.  A vacuum petcock is actually a better preventer since it doesn't, (normally), allow any fuel until a vacuum signal is present which means the bike is turning over before fuel is allowed to flow.

Short answer; GET THE TUBES!

Matt

Or you could just get a C14 and have fuel injection without those pesky petcocks and carbs!
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2016, 11:41:18 pm »
Is a Murph's manual petcock conversion protection against hydro-lock?  I just bought my 06 C-10 with 25K miles from RobC a COG advocate.  He has done most of the items recommended here, but he didn't add overflow tubes.  Seems to me a manual petcock (and proper usage of it) eliminates the hydrolock concern, but please tell me what I'm missing if I'm wrong.
PS - love the post

The petcock is not the reason for a hydrolock.  a needle valve staying open in a carb is what allows fuel to
enter the cylinder.  If the needle valve is stuck open when you turn your manual petcock ON, the fuel will still
flow into the cylinder...  The needle valves can get stuck open while the petcock is off (DAMHIK).

Overflow tubes divert the fuel in the carb bowl, after your manual petcock let the gas in...   ;)
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators, Fork Brace - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline ajsfirehawk

• Mini Bike
« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2016, 12:25:23 am »
Thanks, I get it.  I accept how things work in the real world, not in a lab or in theory.  I'll put overflow tubes on my To Do list. The theory still interests me and I sense a gap.  Seems like the risk would be almost nonexistent  if one is actively managing the petcock you shut it off if you aren't cranking the engine.  Meaning The engine shouldn't crank long if it is in tune properly and with it spinning the carbs will be atomizing fuel because the vacuum is present.  The needle valve is suppose to shut off when the float comes up, but if it is binding or there is debris in the seat, it won't.  Got that.  But unless I let the bike sit, the gas flow while it isn't cranking, hard for me to imagine there would be such a volume of flow I'd be dumping raw fuel into the cylinders in a volume to cause hydro lock.

I actually bought the 06 Connie because i didn't want fuel injection.  I love it in my cars, but I have a $500 EFI Live program to to engine management and diagnostics.  I don't want to buy more software to work on my motorcycles or pay someone else to flash it. It is my old school line in the sand.  I bought the Connie because it isn't computer managed.  I've rebuilt a half dozen sets of carbs, I have an ultrasonic cleaner.  That doesn't make me an expert, but I'm not a complete neophyte. Bikes are my tinkering space.
06 ZG1000
83 KZ1100 LTD
81 KZ440 LTD
79 KZ650 D2

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2016, 01:01:09 am »
Thanks, I get it.  I accept how things work in the real world, not in a lab or in theory.  I'll put overflow tubes on my To Do list. The theory still interests me and I sense a gap.  Seems like the risk would be almost nonexistent  if one is actively managing the petcock you shut it off if you aren't cranking the engine.  Meaning The engine shouldn't crank long if it is in tune properly and with it spinning the carbs will be atomizing fuel because the vacuum is present.  The needle valve is suppose to shut off when the float comes up, but if it is binding or there is debris in the seat, it won't.  Got that.  But unless I let the bike sit, the gas flow while it isn't cranking, hard for me to imagine there would be such a volume of flow I'd be dumping raw fuel into the cylinders in a volume to cause hydro lock.

I actually bought the 06 Connie because i didn't want fuel injection.  I love it in my cars, but I have a $500 EFI Live program to to engine management and diagnostics.  I don't want to buy more software to work on my motorcycles or pay someone else to flash it. It is my old school line in the sand.  I bought the Connie because it isn't computer managed.  I've rebuilt a half dozen sets of carbs, I have an ultrasonic cleaner.  That doesn't make me an expert, but I'm not a complete neophyte. Bikes are my tinkering space.

Great theory, just never forget to shut off the petcock... oh, and the fuel needle valve springs,  hadn't thought of those... :-[ :-[  I see your point though, I have an ultrasonic cleaner, and have done a few sets of concours carbs too.

A few hundred sets.

;) ;)

Steve

C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline ajsfirehawk

• Mini Bike
« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2016, 02:06:39 am »
I'm not arguing with real world experience, I actively solicited it.  I've just always asked 'why?'.   I'm crystal clear on the difference between and enthusiast and an expert.  I'm the former, not the latter.  Most importantly to me is the answer to the question: "What is the worst than can happen?" and the answer is catastrophic failure.  So some small certain damage to the checkbook doesn't stack up too well against the answer to that question.
06 ZG1000
83 KZ1100 LTD
81 KZ440 LTD
79 KZ650 D2

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2016, 04:16:39 am »
  Probably EPA didn't want overflow tubes dumping fuel on the ground through the overflow tubes. Nix the overflow tubes! Hence the auto shut off so that would never happen when some dummy left his petcock on and the float needles failed. Guess they felt it was better to let the fuel run INTO the cyls and hydrolock the engine!! >:(
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #99 on: March 30, 2016, 04:54:01 pm »

I've just always asked 'why?'.

I'm glad you wrote that. I've just always asked "why" too, and it's p*ssed people off ever since I was a little kid. Never meant to, often it was seen as being disobedient or argumentative. At this point I try to preface my questions so that folks understand I'm trying to learn, not just be a contentious, difficult  p. i. t. a.   ;) ;) ;) Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home