Author Topic: Maintenance goals  (Read 404 times)

Offline Tour1

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9226
  • Membership Level: Active
Maintenance goals
« on: May 01, 2018, 12:42:06 pm »
My '87 is likely a contestant for a hard luck prize and once valued at $500 by the loud crowd in the for sale section of this forum.  SWMBO wants me to give up riding and I'm considering alternatives between a fire sale and attempted restoration.  My previous Pearl Gentry Gray paint job cost $900, the guy kept the bike 2 months, and he forgot to connect a few things when I finally rescued it from his shop.  I have some obvious dings including the isthmus on the outside of the turn signals, most of the scoop support area, and a few big scratches.  My engine is at least half worn out at 82,488 miles judging by the cam chain tensioner and the odo reading.
  I have a red front fairing and mint condition sides in gold, but I've no experience at painting stuff to make it shiny.  It's more my style to "customize" by modification, for example, I could keep my old sides but add cut-outs so they could be removed without taking off the tip over bars.   Another place I'd try to fix is the rubber accordions at the mirrors, which need replacement for a restoration but insted I'd try to 3D print an LED light mini-fairing that would also eliminate the isthmus problems.
  So plan A full restoration is expensive (some money already spent) and time consuming with high standards and new skills or expenses required.
  Plan B is to sell off parts that aren't already gray/silverdammit, then ride more and take the hit on eventual sale in a highly competitive market.  There could be a major mechanical problem anytime anyway, and I need room in my garage because I'm paying $150 a month rent on a storage unit that's about the size of my bike & spares.
  I'm planning to store the bike outdoors to make room for the storage unit stuff.  The $150 a month is an obvious equivalent to a shiny new bike, which I would not get, but even a new bike would be under canvas at best in the weather.  So, for this spring & summer, what do you suggest?  There's no poll buttons here but I'll make it 1-2-3:
1. fire sale - sell bike & all spares, buy fresh when the bug bites again
2. restoration - maybe even pay for pro paint, rain & cold won't hurt it
3. customize - artfully remove damaged plastic & frugally substitute parts

1987 Concours

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
Re: Maintenance goals
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 01:25:50 am »
   I pick 1. ::)
  If you don't have room in a clean storage area, sell it to someone that might want to make a project of your C10. Hate to see old C10's die of neglect if the can be reserected. If not, part it out and be done with it.  :(
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Tour1

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 04:46:47 am »
   I pick 1. ::)
  If you don't have room in a clean storage area, sell it to someone that might want to make a project of your C10. Hate to see old C10's die of neglect if the can be reserected. If not, part it out and be done with it.  :(
I figured somebody who wants the replacement fairings would take the bike to get them.  I'm probably right about that based on these 7 posts in the C10 classifieds.  I do have the only 87 listed, but this is only the 1st 3 pages.

86 Concours for sale, $1200 Richmond VA, the bike that destroyed my marriage
« on: October 07, 2017, 21:08:59 »

1986 Connie For Sale
« on: February 15, 2018, 18:08:33 »
Best offer over $500.00; located in Pahrump, Nv.; currently licensed and insured

For Sale 1986 Concours with matching parts \ project bike
Started by Gyver
Comes with a matching 1989 Parts \ Project Concours
For a COG member I would let them both go for $1000 CAD

For Trade: 1987 Concours
« on: January 01, 2016, 23:33:24 »
Started by Tour1
offering my bike for a trade with cash adjustment if/when a good enough deal comes along.

1986 C10 for sale or trade for good running cruiser ( Milwaukee )
« on: July 09, 2017, 22:03:38 »
Price drop before winter comes. $800.00, needs a battery...

1986 Concours for sale
« on: September 17, 2017, 16:53:17 »
Located in Stockton CA
Started by Prorally

1986 Kawasaki Concours for sale $1000 OBO New
Started by Zach1K
« on: May 26, 2017, 14:51:49 »
25k miles, This is a project bike, needs carburetor work
1987 Concours

Offline Tour1

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 12:58:02 pm »
I was tired last night, so I hope I can explain better now.  I knew there were a lot of nice C10s for sale but didn't realize there were a half dozen 1986s.  In the case of my trade offer it's been 2 years and nobody has so much as a rusty riding lawnmower they'd want to swap.  (I recall a pm offering a pickup if I paid a good chunk of change, and Fais might have paid cash when he wanted a summer ride in NY).  The market is likely driven by the buyers who don't visit the forum, or the investors who have barn space.
  So I'll admit my preference is to customize, maybe try to recover some cash by selling the spares I've collected.  Are there any good reasons why I should paint red & gold plastics a not-Kaw silver, as compared to deleting and two-toning some well damaged silverdammit plastic?
1987 Concours

Offline Red Eagle

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 03:29:26 pm »
Tour 1:

I'm the guy in Pahrump, Nv. with the '86 for sale. My bike is a daily driver/rider. At 98K it's not factory fresh, but i wouldn't hesitate for a moment to go coast to coast on it time and $$$ permitting. My reason for selling is I'm not going to have time to ride given my wife's health issue. Originally we thought we had 18 months of down time, now it's gone to lifetime.
My bike is in very good shape for an '86. For the finicky there's always something to fix and time, money and space to work on the bike is an issue.
As for your situation, storing the bike outdoors isn't ideal; but I understand you gotta' do what ya' gotta' do! If you have room to work on the bike indoors that makes it much easier; if not, that adds another thing to deal with. It sounds as though your bike may not be running; if so, letting it sit isn't all that good either. Now, besides the paint and body work to do, you may have mechanical issues to cure. It comes down to how much do you want to put into the effort in time and money and remember it'll still be an '87 Connie in value [ although you'll value it much more].
For me, at this time in my life, I don't have time, money or space to keep two (2) motorcycles running in good condition, so it's time to sell them. Not an easy choice, but that's life.

Good luck with your decision which ever it is.

Bob Young
Bob Young   COG #5753 C-10 A-1 CDA#307 

Offline kkja13

• Mini Bike
  • Tyler, TX
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 08:19:30 pm »
I vote for number 3, just because it sounds like fun and allows for the builders creativity/interpretation!
2004 C10
2003 Suzuki SV650s
2000 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 (75mpg!)
1993 Suzuki DR350; 1984 Honda XR200R (RFVC); 1985 Yamaha PW80; 1975 Yamaha DT175;
1974 Honda ST90; 1973 Honda Z50 (first bike, still runs)

Offline Tour1

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 02:38:45 pm »
My bike "runs like a top" as my dad might have said.  I have observed beyond a reasonable doubt that the more I ride it the less I consider selling it, and vice-versa.  I'm a bit embarrassed by having matching scratches on my plastics & helmet, I can see how somebody might think that's cool but about 3 flip-flops of computation will change that to not cool.  I think my 198x for sale count proved that a bike sale is foolish except to somebody who'd pull a trick from my younger days, converting their current ride into a parts bike to up-value the bike purchased.  So I put some parts in the emporium/for sale section, then dug up my pm's & posts to see what I paid for them.  If I just do the easiest thing of the moment I'll ruin some nice parts.
  Plan A now is to artfully cut my damaged side fairings at the tip over bars and do a quick 2-tone silver paint job on the front fairing.
Thanks for the input, more advice is welcome.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 03:38:23 pm by Tour1 »
1987 Concours