Author Topic: Miles to wear out a C10?  (Read 999 times)

Offline Bob H

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 788
  • Membership Level: Active
Miles to wear out a C10?
« on: May 04, 2018, 12:26:28 am »
How many miles will a C10 go before it needs an engine overhaul? 

Just curious
Remember, much of what you see on-line is wrong or misguided, your task is to filter that out!
 '88 one owner:
Bone stock...and proud of it!!

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11081
Re: Miles to wear out a C10?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 01:06:22 am »
Depends on what you consider an overhaul? If you mean replacing bearing surfaces, cylinder rings, etc., many C10s are on the road with almost 300K miles on the original engine. At that point I think a few water pumps and other things have been changed, I am sure those owners will chime in lol.
 :motonoises:
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 01:58:00 am »
  118,000 miles!!  It is better than when I bought it new. A whole lot of members made real improvements over the yrs. and I think I have most of them.

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/

https://www.murphskits.com/

https://www.bucksporttouring.com/
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 02:12:54 am by Mettler1 »
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 02:02:59 am »
what components like the water pump etc have you replaced?

118,000 miles!!  It is better than when I bought it new. A whole lot of members made real improvements over the yrs. and I think I have most of them.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 02:18:46 am »
   Changed the water pump once. Started leaking out the weep hole so figured it was time for a new water pump. probably around 80,000 miles. Replaced clutch star spring. And a whole lot of Murphs and SiSF's  goodies.  :) :)
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 02:30:16 am »
Basically nothing major failed in all these years.

I had to replace my wp at only 15k miles.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 02:34:50 am »
Changed my water pump at 165 as preventative maintenance. The old one was perfect. Other stuff, driveshaft, alternator, 2 sets of front brake discs, SiSF Torque camshafts. That was pretty much it for 234xxx miles. Carb work including one refresh and SiSF's magic and one set of less used carbbies.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 11:55:58 am »
More bikes die from not being ridden and neglect than from many miles ridden with proper maintenance.  I'm working on my buddy to bring his bike over so we can do things like change his 5 or 6 year old brake fluid! :-\ :-\  That's a bike that also needs to be ridden more! :motonoises: :motonoises:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 09:58:25 am by Bud, Reason: spelling »

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 11:45:21 pm »
Basically nothing major failed in all these years.

I had to replace my wp at only 15k miles.

Me too, mine failed at low miles, under 20K I think. Must just be a fluke.

Offline Greenie

• Scooter
  • COG#: 1019
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 09:24:50 am »
I hate to rain on the parade here....
I bought my '98 brand new and thought I took good care of it; 3K mile oil changes, 6K mile valve clearance adjustments, stored inside and ridden between 3,000 to 10,000 miles per year. Despite that #2 cylinder lost good compression at approximately 80,000 miles. Still rideable now at 100+  thousand miles but it's not right. This is not a hydrolock motor, I'm not sure what happened internally.
I bought a '04 Concours last November with only 11K miles - the difference between the two bikes is stark. I'll keep the '98 in one piece as a spare bike but soon it will become a parts bike.

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 12:02:24 am »
I hate to rain on the parade here....
I bought my '98 brand new and thought I took good care of it; 3K mile oil changes, 6K mile valve clearance adjustments, stored inside and ridden between 3,000 to 10,000 miles per year. Despite that #2 cylinder lost good compression at approximately 80,000 miles. Still rideable now at 100+  thousand miles but it's not right. This is not a hydrolock motor, I'm not sure what happened internally.
I bought a '04 Concours last November with only 11K miles - the difference between the two bikes is stark. I'll keep the '98 in one piece as a spare bike but soon it will become a parts bike.

I have a low mileage valve head if you want to freshen up that motor. I doubt it is piston ring related, maybe carbon'd valves or maybe just worn out valve head. Of course there is a stark difference between your two bikes, one has low compression. I would wager that a bike with 100K or 200K to run as nicely as a sub-80K mile bike, if everything is set up right. Also tuning makes a big difference in enjoyment over stock, by the time alot of the COG bikes make it past the 100K mark, they are running most of the goodies.

Also, your inexpensive Japenese motorcycle made it to over 100K miles, and certainly isn't dead, that is impressive. The fact that folks around here have 200K, almost 300K, just goes to show the potential.

My first Concours was a lemon from Nevada, it looked nice but I didn't notice the broken speedo cable until after purchase. The mileage was 60K+, but it could have been anything. After I gave her a light hydrolock, maybe not the first, the engine eventually developed a knock. The bike's wiring was also all spliced and hacked up, the whole bike was a mess. She had a hard life..

Bought my new Connie with 18K, she has almost 60K 4 years later. I expect a very long life from this engine, I consider any problems
an anomaly.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 12:09:34 am by VTconnie »

Offline Greenie

• Scooter
  • COG#: 1019
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 06:09:20 am »
VTConnie - I'm not sure what happened to the '98 to give it low compression. SISF found the carbs from that bike to be exceptionally worn and had to replace parts which at that time made my carbs the most expensive he ever did. There was a small crack in the air box which might have been responsible for the carb wear but that would have caused uniform low compression (if dirt found its way past the air filter).
These motors are bullet proof and long lasting and I'm content that 100K miles was a lot more than I had expected from any motorcycle. Thanks for the offer of the head - I'm happy to use the '98 as a parts bike eventually.
The Concours is a great bike - everything I want. I've owned three so far; crossing the US twice and five tours in Mexico. This newer 2004 may outlast me - although we had a visitor on a Harley this past weekend who was 85 and still riding.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 11:58:05 am »
On mine with a boroscope I could see the carbon buildup on the some of the valves.
That is most likely your compression loss.  I had to flog the crap out the engine to clear the carbon deposits and  make it run right :motonoises: :motonoises:
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Redbarron

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10045
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 10:55:22 am »
I believe around 250K is the average on a C10.

Most any modern well engineered engine with decent maintenance, should be expected to last at least that.

Never Allow the Radicall Views of the Few to Infringe on the Constitutional Rights of the Many

Offline Bocajnala

• Tricycle
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 08:46:31 am »
I'm right at 30,000 now... I'll let you know in about three years hopefully...

-Jake

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 01:23:40 pm »
   I bet a whole lot of C10's die from neglect in a storage shed, parked in a garage under a pile of other neglected things!!! SAD!!  :'( :'(

Offline turbo-max

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10445
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 10:03:20 pm »
Changed my water pump at 165 as preventative maintenance. The old one was perfect. Other stuff, driveshaft, alternator, 2 sets of front brake discs, SiSF Torque camshafts. That was pretty much it for 234xxx miles. Carb work including one refresh and SiSF's magic and one set of less used carbbies.
your old bike is just now at 245k miles, zero issues other than a bald tire  :) (dad rides it every day now.)
turbo lag is a courteous head start!    ~Jeff H
99 c-10 "the purple monster"
01 c-10 undergoing turbofacation     
03 c-10 some mods...alot of miles
several other c-10's in pieces!

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2018, 10:50:11 pm »
Damn. Is this the highest mileage bike on here?

your old bike is just now at 245k miles, zero issues other than a bald tire  :) (dad rides it every day now.)

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 02:06:37 am »
I believe Ironbuttal has over a quarter million on his'99.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2018, 02:07:55 am »
Damn. Is this the highest mileage bike on here?

Awesome!