Author Topic: mini superchargers  (Read 238 times)

Offline batboy

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
mini superchargers
« on: September 26, 2018, 02:03:17 pm »
The other day, I stumbled across an ebay auction for a mini supercharger (Aisin AMR500). What really piqued my interest was that it only cost $225. Huh? No way! It had to be some cheap Chinese novelty part that would only last a few days, right? Turns out it was legit. These are low mileage (supposedly) used parts from a Suburu model that are only marketed in SE Asia. There is even a smaller version available (Aisin AMR300). Apparently these tiny superchargers have been around for about 8 years, but are just now making a big splash. The VW folks and other small displacement car guys are using them. Some folks (mainly Australians I think) are putting them on motorcycles now (mainly for racing). That's what started me drooling. Can you imagine a ZG1000 running at 5 or 6 psi boost? Holy crap! I bet traction would suddenly be a problem.

The following was quoted from a website called Supercharging Unlimited.

Unofficial Specs for Aisin Model AMR500 New Mini Roots Type Supercharger.

Application: to increase performance on motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATVs, VW engines, Mini Coopers, Subarus, Nissans, Toyotas or any engine under 3.0L.

500cc/ revolution (30.5 cu.in.) With straight, 2 lobe rotors. It could be over-driven, and make good boost on a 650cc-1000cc drag bikes or larger if RPM is kept low. Or it could be under-driven for smaller engines.
Examples:

On a 500cc two stroke, with the blower being driven 1.5:1 with the crank, it would produce approximately 7 psi boost.

On a 750cc four stroke, with the blower being driven 1:1 with the crank, it would produce approximately 5 psi boost.

On a 750cc four stroke, with the blower being driven 1.5:1 with the crank, it would produce approximately 15 psi boost.

On a 1000cc four stroke, with the blower being driven 1.5:1 with the crank, it would produce approximately 9.5 psi boost.

On a 1600cc VW engine, with the blower being driven 2.1:1 with the crank, it would produce approximately 5 psi, but the engine RPM must be limited to 8000 rpm.

Additional Info: Max blower continous speed is 16,000 RPM Before this, these were only available in Japan! This would be a great blower for any small engine up to 1200cc ( depending on RPM ).

Over all length is 6.75", Width is 8", Height from inlet to outlet 5.5" The 4 bolt inlet & outlet flanges makes it easy to fabricate custom mounts for manifolds, and carbs. The drive pulley diameter is aprox. 3" but could be changed out to a cog belt drive quite easily. We have no info on what modifications are needed to mount this unit on your engine. You will need to be capable of doing custom fabrication.

Summit Racing has a good book on supercharger applications called Street Supercharging. It sells for about $18, and is a good source of set-up information. It uses any OEM supercharger oil, such as Ford (a roots type supercharger was used on the Thunderbird), GM (the Bonneville SC uses a roots supercharger) and any of the aftermarket roots supercharger manufacturers such as B+M, Magnuson or Weiand.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 02:49:50 pm by batboy »

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: mini superchargers
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 03:22:07 pm »
  As I always said, "Too much power is just right !!!" :motonoises: :motonoises:   Trouble IS about getting old,  common sense kicks in before my ego. :'(
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: mini superchargers
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 07:19:39 pm »
pull out your checkbook.... :-[ :-[ ::)

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-c10-zg1000-general-chat-and-tech/the-ultimate-c-10-build/msg231045/#msg231045

I'm sure if you contact him, he will give you everything he knows,

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...