Author Topic: Missfire during acceleration at all RPM’s  (Read 1011 times)

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Missfire during acceleration at all RPM’s
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2018, 06:41:23 pm »
So the points are connected to the crank ? i can check the gap and see what the gap is. Last night my battery died. and when i pop started the bike the headlights and tail lights didn't work. What circuit runs the main headlight and tail lamp? to me it seems like a electrical problem as the heat increases there is to much resistance somewhere. So i'm gonna try the free power mod and see what happens. Doesnt the wires that get connected to the primary side of the coil pack supposed to be 12 volts? MOB says it's supposed to be different but i'm not to sure the electrical reads all over the place and does not stay constant. That's was using a Snap-On DVOM so i know its accurate. Also where exactly is the ground for the bike and its connections. Ive heard the ground is bad but if i could find it and use a metal brush to get a better ground and see if that works before replacing wires.

There are no "points", this is an electronic triggered Ignitions system
I have to ask, if you own a factory service manual, and if you don't, I will ask that you obtain one, and fully read the electronic section, so you understand what we have been telling you.
It is very difficult to go back and forth, copying things, and posting them, in hopes these parts help, you need to take some initiative here and supply the tool that is needed...
I'll attach the 2 pages from the manual below, for inspecting the "pickup" trigger coils, but from there you need to get a manual, and sit with it for a while, and run down thru these analytical steps one by one, with the book in front of you.

I'll also suggest you obtain a fresh new battery, because it seems you have been killing the current one regularly on these tests, and in order to correctly test the system, it is imperative you have a fully charged, and good battery..

Your statement about "Pop starting / no lights.." is because when you did that, you did not actuate the starter button, which actuates the main relay of the junction box, and that controls the lighting circuit to 'lock on', from the push of the starter button... in essence, you bypassed the starter circuit completely during the bump start, thus, no lights of any sort.... had you "momentarily" hit the starter button after it was running, it would have latched that relay in the j box, and you would have had lights.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 06:49:52 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Chow

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2018, 05:29:03 pm »
I own a clymers manual, and i have been reading the checklist for a faulty misfire. i have not checked the gap or resistances for the pickups  yet so i will be doing that. I messaged Steve and he said to check the pickup coils. which i'm gonna do tonight, but in typical fashion if the pickups begin to go doesn't the bike for the most part just kill the engine ? Could it cause a misfire because that's where i'm confused.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 05:49:29 pm by Chow »

Offline Chow

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2018, 05:40:02 pm »
M in SC ill definitely check that value on the black and yellow wire. I'm not the greatest in electricity so i'm doing the best i can here. The power mod has already been done to this bike so there is that. The guy did it exactly like Steve did in one of his videos so ill let it at that. I'm just gonna check the gap and all the resistances tonight and hopefully that's the problem. Also on another note i obviously don't have the Kawasaki ohmmeter and will be using a snap on unit. Will that cause it to not read correctly ?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 05:53:47 pm by Chow »

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10807
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2018, 07:30:23 pm »
I own a clymers manual, and i have been reading the checklist for a faulty misfire. i have not checked the gap or resistances for the pickups  yet so i will be doing that. I messaged Steve and he said to check the pickup coils. which i'm gonna do tonight, but in typical fashion if the pickups begin to go doesn't the bike for the most part just kill the engine ? Could it cause a misfire because that's where i'm confused.
It won't necessarily cut off the engine. You have 2 pulse coils. When cold they may make a connection but as they get hot they can either cut completely off or become intermittent, hence the misfire. Any 12v ohm meter should be able to read correctly.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.