Author Topic: Motorcycle lift 99 concours  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Brian

• Scooter
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 6374
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Motorcycle lift 99 concours
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2019, 10:34:28 am »
The harbor freight platform work stand looks good to me. It is a little  more money but I think it's worth it. I wonder if the hydraulic Jack ever went bad,if you can buy a new one? I can't think of much else that could go wrong with it? Can you get parts for it , if you ever needed too?

That's crossed my mind a bunch of times.  My bet is you're not going to get a replacement cylinder from HF.  I may call today and ask.  It could be that one would just have to source a cylinder somewhere else and adapt it.  Has anyone had one fail?  How did you repair it afterwards?

They do fail.

http://forum.cog-online.org/say-anything-here-except-that!/harbor-freight-mc-lift-jack-is-hosed/msg521436/#msg521436

I have also read that out of the box the HF lifts are low on oil. I make it a point to check mine regularly.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 10:43:25 am by Brian »
The Other Brian in Minnesota
2010 Yamaha FJR

Offline who me?

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11932
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2019, 10:52:14 am »
The harbor freight platform work stand looks good to me. It is a little  more money but I think it's worth it. I wonder if the hydraulic Jack ever went bad,if you can buy a new one? I can't think of much else that could go wrong with it? Can you get parts for it , if you ever needed too?
That's crossed my mind a bunch of times.  My bet is you're not going to get a replacement cylinder from HF.  I may call today and ask.  It could be that one would just have to source a cylinder somewhere else and adapt it.  Has anyone had one fail?  How did you repair it afterwards?
I have seen some people adapt an air/hydraulic cylinder to the lift
If/when the OE cylinder gives out this is what Ill do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fN5Y6ol0ko
I have no idea about anything.
95 C10 The Mule
02 C10 parts are parts

Offline GrantE

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Directors
  • Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12666
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2019, 11:38:05 am »
I am on a budget.  But I need a good way to save my knees and back. I wonder if could make a one?
As a welder fabricator I would say it would be tough to buy the material for less than HF wants for that lift. I have had my eye on that lift for a while now, it's not quite as sturdy as the  Competitors offer but it is less than a 1/3 the price. I kinda look at that lift as the material I need to build the lift I want. Just stash a little cash and wait for the deal you're not going to find any thing else even close to the price. There will be a couple thing you will want to modify but it should serve you well.  You may try but going cheaper I am sure would end up costing more in the long run or you would just not be satisfied.
2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

AMA#4044713

Offline The ice man

• Moped
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12605
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2019, 12:27:46 pm »
Is the hydraulic Jack rebuildable?

Offline mnbikeguy

• Moped
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2019, 05:12:01 pm »
Is the hydraulic Jack rebuildable?
I think I hear the concern about quality but I think you're over-stressing about this. My experience with HF lift products is that they work well but you just need to make sure before you use them that they have enough hydraulic fluid. For tons more information about this particular product head over to their website. They have a handy owners manual with detailed information available for download. Hell for fun, here's the link. You can also call their info line at 1-800-444-3353.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2019, 08:25:02 pm »
H/F just sells the lift, if it's bad from the get go, or fails during the covered period of warranty, they will make it right...
as for failures;
I got my lift, and a second older one, on a trade for doing service on someone's bike;
one was almost brand new, the other was used... the older one did "bleed down", but the cylinder was not a "leaker", and was intact... it was fine, would pump up perfectly, and when utilized as it should be used, placing the "safety bar/lock rod" in place, and lowering the lift on the bar, like the instructions explain, it worked fine... never failed to "lift and work".
the newer one, never had an issue, I've had it 10+ years now... it does have a different cylinder than the real old one had... never tried to buy a replacement.. all tho I'm sure you can get one for the current style units.. not specifically from H/F, but from the manufacturer (Pittburgh tool/equip co.)(?) all the info is in the instruction sheet with the unit, including part lists, and warranty contact...
Also, instructions on HOW to assemble, and USE the lift... all downloadable from the H/F page where the lift is for sale
The biggest issue people report, is explained in the instructions (I think)... how to "bleed/remove air from the pump" the lift cylinder/pump prior to initial use, when assembled after shipping... when this is done, it's trouble free....

people just don't read the book.... :)) :)) :))

I think every hydraulic jack or device I ever purchased required that process during initial use.

Just realized the person in the response above mine, gave the download link for the book... sweet.... my old book didn't give a breakdown on the pump parts, so there Ya go... can't beat that.... :great: :great: :beerchug:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 08:44:43 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2019, 09:05:27 pm »

They do fail.

http://forum.cog-online.org/say-anything-here-except-that!/harbor-freight-mc-lift-jack-is-hosed/msg521436/#msg521436

I have also read that out of the box the HF lifts are low on oil. I make it a point to check mine regularly.

everything fails sooner or later... the one you linked got "fixed"... :rotflmao: :great: :beerchug: :beerchug:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline donaldj

• Proud Vet!
  • Mini Bike
  • Blessed!
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 4879
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2019, 10:52:31 am »
I am on a budget.  But I need a good way to save my knees and back. I wonder if could make a one?

As a welder fabricator I would say it would be tough to buy the material for less than HF wants for that lift. I have had my eye on that lift for a while now, it's not quite as sturdy as the  Competitors offer but it is less than a 1/3 the price. I kinda look at that lift as the material I need to build the lift I want. Just stash a little cash and wait for the deal you're not going to find any thing else even close to the price. There will be a couple thing you will want to modify but it should serve you well.  You may try but going cheaper I am sure would end up costing more in the long run or you would just not be satisfied.

For those that have the ability to build one, here is a link to purchase plans,$15.00. It uses a floor jack.

http://www.afabonline.com/table_lift_plans.htm

Vintage43

Offline GrantE

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Directors
  • Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12666
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2019, 01:12:40 pm »
The only issue I have seen people consistently report with the HF lift is the restraint system, (wheel chock and tie downs) but have also seen posts showing ez mods that fix the problem.

For those that have the ability to build one, here is a link to purchase plans,$15.00. It uses a floor jack.

http://www.afabonline.com/table_lift_plans.htm

Thanks for the link looks like a nice lift however I am willing to bet that even using a floor Jack one already has, the steel alone would cost more than the HF lift.
2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

AMA#4044713