Author Topic: Murph's Headlight Harness Install  (Read 1074 times)

Offline sgilbert14

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12302
  • Membership Level: Active
Murph's Headlight Harness Install
« on: May 02, 2016, 08:43:05 am »
Looking to install the Murph's Harness that I picked up and just was wondering on install tips. It appears to run directly yo the battery so there must be a relay lead to trigger it once the bike is running.. any tips??

Offline fred-houston

• Officer
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG Membership Officer
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9066
  • Membership Level: Administrator
Re: Murph's Headlight Harness Install
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 08:52:04 am »
Looking to install the Murph's Harness that I picked up and just was wondering on install tips. It appears to run directly yo the battery so there must be a relay lead to trigger it once the bike is running.. any tips??

The instructions that come with the kit are easy to understand and follow.  The kit comes with two relays.  Yes there is a power and ground to the battery and then you just plug the other end of the harness into the light.  I can't remember how the relays were triggered, but it was a simple install.  The second relay is for aux lights or other accessories.  I did not use the second relay since I already had my aux lights installed with a relay.
Fred Boothe - COG Membership Officer
Missouri City, TeXaS
1999 C-10 EFI (Semi Naked)
2016 Yamaha Super Tenere

Offline sgilbert14

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 09:06:16 am »
Sorry about that. I picked the kit off from Steve here on the forum and it did not have the instructions.. Should have put that in the first post.
Thanks again

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9506
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 05:26:14 pm »

I don't have one, but I would assume that the relays are triggered by the electrics already on the bike.  So essentially, the J-box is where the electricity to trigger the relays comes from.  The power lead to the battery is what provides the power to the headlight, through the relays, once the relay is triggered. 

At least, that's how I'd build a plug-and-play setup.  The old headlight plug simply provides the triggering current for the relays.

Looking at the picture on Murph's site, I'm certain that's how his works. 

The three spade terminals should be plugged into the existing headlight plug on the bike.  Ring terminal (black lead) goes to ground or, ideally, negative battery terminal.  Red lead goes to positive terminal.  I can't tell the colors of the wires to the spade terminals, so I'm not sure which goes where. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 05:32:09 pm by Outback Jon »
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157 
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited - "Outback's Outback"

Offline alan

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11951
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 07:09:34 pm »
I dug out the original install instructions from my harness and this is what is says concerning the headlight plug.

Holding the OEM headlight socket with the terminals at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock, insert the white wire on the left, the plain black wire on the bottom, and the black wire with the red heat shrink on the right.

Attach the positive lead (red) of the new harness  to the positive terminal of the battery with the original battery screw.
Attach the negative (black) lead of the new harness to the battery negative post.

I could scan the whole four page instruction sheet and email it to you.... but not today.

....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig

Offline sgilbert14

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 05:20:05 pm »
Thanks That I got but was trying to figure the best to wire up the relay to make it only come on after the bike is running, I guess I could pull the original harness apart and use the power lead there to the relay which would also trigger my new Hella Micro DE's as well  >:D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 12:39:35 pm by sgilbert14 »

Offline beaucephus

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12214
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 03:47:39 am »
Thanks That I got but was trying to figure the best to wire up the relay to make it only come on after the bike is running, I guess I could pull the original harness apart and use the power lead there to the relay which would also trigger my new Hella Micro DE's as well  >:D
The relays in the harness are engaged by the original headlight connector and relay.  You don't have to do any thinking, that's why you bought the kit.  The most difficult part is getting the plastic off and routing all the wires.  I opted to install my relays further forward in the faring since I couldn't get them to be out of the way enough on the fairing stay like in the instructions.

Offline sgilbert14

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 11:12:45 am »
Sorry for the delay but thanks that helps :)

Offline Oldschool

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 02:14:18 pm »
Just an fyi and some input...not sure if others had/have run into these issues or concerns. I will post pictures tonight.

I installed Murph's headlight kit yesterday as I am going to a 100/80 bulb and want the better socket and larger wire leads. BTW.....when I removed my OEM headlight socket, it was partially melted....2000 Connie with 97k.

In the instructions it said/showed to mount the relays to the fairing frame bar on the right side. The pictures on the instructions are really good and it was easy enough to follow along. I mocked it all up and ran into rubbing/interference issues with my braided brake lines. During several mock-up's I just didn't like the set-up. Also I ran the wires back to the battery again as shown on the instruction page. As the wires travelling back to the battery travel between the fork tubes, the turning of the handle bars caused movement to the wires, the relays, and I was concerned. Also, the movement during handle bar turning caused the relays to start to pull away from the sockets. I imagined rolling down the road, the handle bar turning combined with the vibration might cause the relays to come out of the relay sockets. The relays didn't seem to have a nice tight fit.

I played around a bit and came up with a mounting scheme I liked much better. I placed the relays in the upper left portion of the faring frame, high and just to the left of the headlight. This allowed me to run the wiring harness free and clear of the fork tubes, therefore eliminating the movement to the wires, harness and relays. I ran the wires back to the battery right along the same path as my wires for my cruise control. I didn't go through/under the coil brackets either. I came up a tad short on the ground wire attachment so I just cut it, added a short piece of 12awg wire to make it a tad longer (6" or so) and bingo. I like it. Also, when I attached the relays to the fairing frame I used a cable tie that went through (under/around) the relay socket frame so to speak and attached the relays to the fairing frame. This allows the relays to be secure and no possibility of the relays coming out of the relay socket.

The instructions with Murph's are great....I just played around with it and feel good about the way I choose to do it. I will post pictures tonight so others can see an option when mounting. I believe my ss braided brake lines and running the wiring harness through the fork legs caused me the most concern.

Mike

Offline Oldschool

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 06:47:17 pm »
Some pictures of the relay mount location. You can see the cable tie I used to hold the top of the relays against the fairing frame bar. The cable ties goes under the relay socket and then around the fairing frame. It holds the relays very secure in the relay socket.

I put the gas tank back on so I have no pictures of the wire routing to the battery but would be glad to post some if some are interested in seeing.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 07:43:55 pm by Oldschool »