Author Topic: murph kits fuel petcock shut off conversion  (Read 742 times)

Offline 1976kz

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
murph kits fuel petcock shut off conversion
« on: May 02, 2018, 07:58:39 pm »
Can anyone give me some instructions as to making the conversion from the existing vacuum fed fuel petcock to the 'shut off' unit Murph sells?
Also, any experience, good or bad with this before I do the conversion?
thank youant

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: murph kits fuel petcock shut off conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 10:20:16 pm »
Can anyone give me some instructions as to making the conversion from the existing vacuum fed fuel petcock to the 'shut off' unit Murph sells?
Also, any experience, good or bad with this before I do the conversion?
thank youant

Pretty simple, and install instruction might be included with the purchase..
Other than that, run the bike till its low on fuel, or disconnect the fuel line from the existing petcock, and drain the tank into a 5 gallon can, yank the tank, turn it on its side and set on a towel covered old tire... remove the petcock, follow the Murph instructions...
Not sure which you are doing, the Pingle swap, or the Bergmen parts re work, but both have instructions.

Now, I will correct myself, he states no instructions.. sorry... but upon disassembly, if you lay the parts out, it may be clear how the new ones replace the diaphragm... can't say as I don't have the kit in hand. Sorry..
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 10:32:21 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 10:41:41 pm »
The bad; {After you install a manual set up} If you ever forget to turn off the Petcock when your done, you have an increased probability of Hydrolock...

PS: Your existing petcock is already manual...
      Turn the valve to prime, and the fuel flows until you turn it back to a {properly operating} "run or reserve" position.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 11:10:15 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 10:53:50 pm »
The bad; {After you install a manual set up} If you ever forget to turn off the Petcock when your done, you have an increased probability of Hydrolock...

PS: Your existing petcock is already manual...
      Turn the valve to prime, and the fuel flows until you return it to run or reserve position.

Ride safe, Ted

Well, that's not correct... its only manual in the respect of choosing Prime/on all the time, or Run/Reserve "Vacuume actuated"... c'mon Ted, you know there is no positive "OFF" position.... :-[ :-[ :-[
total / partial failure of the diaphragm/spring/poppet can still result in one that leaks past the seat, and in combo with a questionable float needle or two, may result in the hydro..

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 11:34:26 pm »
Geez, we have a Sea Lawyer.   :truce:

I wuz referring to; he could turn it "manually" to "ON" now.....
  {I sed this because many new folks don't realize that the "Prime Position" bypasses the diaphragm/valve}

While I'm splainin';   It is "manual" bekuz; Ya turn it "manually" with your fingers (or in your case, ya turn it "manually" with your "other".)......    :-\

PS: Even on a Manual or converted petcock, you can never absolutely know the fuel flow is stopped.
      A leak can still result in one if fuel leaks past the valve.
        That, in combo with a questionable float needle or two, may result in the hydro..
      ie: S__t happens...  :nananana:

Ride safe, Ted {Even my Old Buddy, MOB/the Sea Lawyer}    :)
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 06:42:04 pm »
Geez, we have a Sea Lawyer.   :truce:

I wuz referring to; he could turn it "manually" to "ON" now.....
  {I sed this because many new folks don't realize that the "Prime Position" bypasses the diaphragm/valve}

While I'm splainin';   It is "manual" bekuz; Ya turn it "manually" with your fingers (or in your case, ya turn it "manually" with your "other".)......    :-\

PS: Even on a Manual or converted petcock, you can never absolutely know the fuel flow is stopped.
      A leak can still result in one if fuel leaks past the valve.
        That, in combo with a questionable float needle or two, may result in the hydro..
      ie: S__t happens...  :nananana:

Ride safe, Ted {Even my Old Buddy, MOB/the Sea Lawyer}    :)

:)) :)) :))

Oh.... a wise guy eh? Why I oughtta.....

« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 07:20:24 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into and FJR !!!
  • COG#: 7055
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 09:28:20 pm »
The best petcock on the market is the Pingel. I used Pingel valves on my Dragbikes for 20 years and had one on my C-10 for 8 years and it still serves the new owner today.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline Nosmo

• Crotch Rocket
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 03:37:32 am »
+1 on Pingel.  AND they're CHROME-PLATED!!

2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline Victor Salisbury

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 3673
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 11:36:27 am »
I purchased Murph's manual kit, and love it. Course I been motorcyclin' for a few years so I started out with the manual fuel valve and had the habit that I had to 're-learn' For the first few months I had a small label on my tach face "FUEL VLV STUPID!!!"  or something like that :) If I remember Murph also included a label with FUEL on it, or something like that.

Install is pretty straight forward, you will need to remove the valve from the tank. Carefully disassemble in a clean area with out interruption, the diaphragm cover gets replaced with Murphs part, and there is a set screw you CAREFULLY turn in to close the diaphragm, then lock it with the nut. Replace the stock lever with the Murph one, you are re assembling the valve with these new parts and, it's dun. Of course Murph does have the disclaimer in the description "THIS KIT IS DESIGNED FOR INSTALLATION BY EXPERIENCED MOTORCYCLE MECHANICS WITH NO LESS THAN TWENTY YEARS EXPERIENCE AND HOLD AT LEAST A B.S. IN “ALL THINGS MECHANICAL”.  ;)

Like I said, I like it.  I also have had the the Sefsick carb spa/overflow tubes installed so for those moments I do forget to turn off, there is a little backup should there be the carb bowl system malfunction.  My biggest forgetful piece is actually forgetting the start up procedure and turn the fuel back on,,,,,,yeah, happens, on a warm engine, you get abooooooout 2/10ths of a mile......... :))
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 11:43:52 am by Victor Salisbury »
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673 
'97 Connie "The Grinch" 
Sarasota, FL 
www.cog-online.org 
Stupid Hurts! Wearing protective gear is much more comfortable.

Offline jacksdad

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 10:16:15 am »
Hi, can anyone supply the parts numbers for the Pingel fuel tap conversion please?
Or, has anyone fitted an inline on/off tap? There's just not enough room to fit in the one I bought (cheap aftermarket one!)  :)

Offline BruceB

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 2045
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 11:15:01 am »
Sorry for the late reply. Had to find my notes.
Converted to a Pingle petcock in 2010. Yes I do have SISF overflow tubes.
The Pingle PN 6111AH is a 1/4" tapered pipe thread, so an adapter plate is needed
from Murphs. It's a 2 bolt plate with 1/4" pipe thread center.
Thread tape/sealant is needed on the threads as it needs to be threaded to a certain
position, and it may want to tighten a little more.

Offline CaffeineMan

• Road Bike
  • In the shadow of the Valley of Death
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 7763
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 01:30:50 am »
The best petcock on the market is the Pingel.

+1 on Pingel.

Plus you gotta love that their motto is "pass more gas".

:rotflmao:
"You put antiseize on those, right?"

01 C-10, Progressive 465 rear shock, Race Tech emulators and 1.0 springs, Russell Day-Long saddle, Spiegler hydraulic lines, Cee Bailey windshield.
In process:  EBC rotors, Nissin 4-piston calipers

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into and FJR !!!
  • COG#: 7055
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 05:51:55 am »
Hi, can anyone supply the parts numbers for the Pingel fuel tap conversion please?
Or, has anyone fitted an inline on/off tap? There's just not enough room to fit in the one I bought (cheap aftermarket one!)  :)
The correct part numbers for the Pingel valve for the C-10 are: 6211CH for the valve and A1702C for the adaptor plate. Very nice unit. I ran  one on my C-10 for years with no issues.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline jacksdad

• Bicycle
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 10:08:17 am »
Thanks everyone! Will get a set ordered asap, just waiting on yet another brake caliper piston and seal... ::)

Offline LeeM

• Tricycle
  • Maintain it for 120 drive it like I'm 70
    • Working on ways to save our asses.
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12454
My Connie gasoline petcock solution has boiled down to a policy of leave the rebuilt vacuum petcock on Reserve. Don't move the petcock handle! .I buy gasoline by reading the trip meter and I add a dollop of TCW3 two stroke engine oil when I get home after filling the tank. I stick with only two major fuel brands also.

Years ago I worked in a company making filling machinery and I learned about the different kinds of O-ring rubber that are compatible with various foods and domestic chemicals like bleach.After 40  years the fine print in the o-ring rubber compound online literature still says the same thing, methyl-ethyl ketone substances cause the standard neoprene o-ring rubber to swell. or get soft. That is what I saw when I put in a fresh tank of "summer gas", drove 20 miles and parked the bike for 6 hours. It acted exactly like it was out of gas. I think the rubber tip of the float bowl needles briefly stuck closed. I got towed home, the bike sat for a week, I hooked up a float bowl manometer and watched the fuel level drop as I revved the engine. I added some Techron fuel system cleaner (mostly methanol other posters tell me). The Techron probably had a detergent or the methanol caused the needle valves to shrink or un-stick.

At that time, I continued to occasionally turn the fuel valve to "reserve". Eventually the original Connie fuel valve began to drip and people at work began telling me I smelled of gasoline. I installed the Murph's valve parts kit, set the valve to "Reserve" leave it there.

As Sancho Panza said: Don't kick the prick. That means don't turn the fuel valve, I add the TCW3 like Steve in Sunny Florida recommends  and buy the better blends of gasoline.