Author Topic: MY COLD C10 !!!!  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
  • Membership Level: Active
MY COLD C10 !!!!
« on: January 25, 2018, 04:06:31 am »
  It's winter here in Mich!!!   ::)  I don't beat my wife or dog much in the dead of winter but I always have this desire to fire up my '94 C10. It is prepped for winter with Stabilizer and a full tank. But it sets on the center stand in a cold lonely place (my nice clean garage) for about 3 months on the battery charger :'( 
  I feel like I want to go out there  and fire it up to operating temp. Probably for my wish's only but it makes me feel good to hear it fired up for 5 minutes.
 Question is does it mean any thing to my C10 good or "bad"!! I always want to do the right thing for my COLD, Lonely  C10!!!  :motonoises: :motonoises:
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline KLRPhil

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: MY COLD C10 !!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 07:46:20 am »
I'm sure others more knowledgeable will chime in.  My 2006 C10 (recently sold, boo hoo) routinely sat for seven weeks during winter and 3+ months during summers, when I would be out of the country.  I'd say that if you are not going to ride it and get the entire thing up up to operating temperature, then just let sleeping dogs lie.  You've got the tank full and stabilizer in the system; your Connie will not mind hibernating.  My two cents - and best of luck!  Phil
My Connie followed me home after the test ride...

Offline MichiGlenn

• Road Bike
  • "Wherever you are, be all there" Jim Elliot
  • COG#: 10892
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 10:09:24 am »
My C10 is in the same situation.  I generally let her sleep through until I know I'll have time and warmth to keep riding, but I have been known to get our the Honda 750 I used to ride when we got a warm stretch in January or February.  It was interesting to ride past the ice shanties on local lakes!  Mutual admiration/mutual "you gotta be crazy"!

We have some temps in the 50's coming, you might want to put on a few miles, top it off, and park until spring.
2001 C-10
1977 Honda CB750K Sold
1978 Honda CB750K Long Gone
1972 Honda CL175 Ancient History
Heald Super Tryke 8hp, Wards T555 Trike

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 01:23:17 pm »
If for some reason you have to start it(really not a good thing to do except for mental health issues ;)), 5 minutes isn't near enough time to burn off corrosives in the oil. Let it run a while(1/2 to 3/4 hour) to at least have a chance of getting the oil hot enough. Just a 5-10 minute run is not a good thing for the bike.

When you are done, refill the gas tank.

Have you thought about FLA, TX, AZ, etc?.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 02:54:37 pm »
I agree with SteveJ.  You've got to get it warm enough to evaporate any moisture that has accumulated in the engine, mufflers. That means it's got to get to full operating temperature and stay there for a fairly long period. Better off to just go sit on it and go, "Vroom! Vroom!" than to start it up for 5-10 minutes.
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 03:07:06 pm »
Signs of cabin fever, ah? The Concours are in the trailer. I will not
even thing about them till April, late April. I will still have ice on the
driveway but must do something?
When they were in the garage where I could get to them I would
start them and after the idle settled down I would put them in 1st
gear, on center stand of course, and go inside for half hour. All that
oil circulating around heats the engine evenly.

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 05:27:42 pm »
I used to do that with my old bikes in winter. Start it up and listen to it for a few mins. I then started noticing some white film in my oil window. I was told it was water/condensation.

So, from then on I either used to go for a 20 mile ride or idle the bike till the fan came on a couple of times (still not as good as a long ride).

Best if you don't do anything and let it sleep till you can go for a good 15-20 mile ride. I am sure you can find a day where it may be cold but dry enough for a ride.

Offline Nosmo

• Crotch Rocket
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 11:57:44 pm »
Bad. Don't do it. 

If you aren't going to get it up to full temp for long enough to evaporate all the moisture in the engine and exhaust, just leave it alone.  My mother has the same psychological need to "warm up" her 1986 Crown Vic every few days, because she thinks it feels cold and lonely.  That's why she has to replace the entire exhaust system every two years, which for her is about 1,000 miles of actual driving.  When nitrogen dioxide from car exhaust combines with water in the air, it forms nitric acid, which rapidly corrodes the metal stuff.

But once a machine gets cold-soaked, it can sit that way for a looooong time.  Machines don't like temperature changes, especially rapid ones, and they don't "feel" the cold, so if it's cold let it stay that way until you can take it for at least about a 50 mile ride.
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 12:15:20 am »

So it can sit for July, August and September?    :pokestick:

I guess if it sits in heat instead of cold it's mo' betta.   ;)
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators, Fork Brace - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 03:04:47 am »

So it can sit for July, August and September?    :pokestick:

I guess if it sits in heat instead of cold it's mo' betta.   ;)
I rode virtually everyday when working. The bikes are still my main transportation, year round.  :beerchug:
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 04:21:34 am »
I used to do that with my old bikes in winter. Start it up and listen to it for a few mins. I then started noticing some white film in my oil window. I was told it was water/condensation.

So, from then on I either used to go for a 20 mile ride or idle the bike till the fan came on a couple of times (still not as good as a long ride).

Best if you don't do anything and let it sleep till you can go for a good 15-20 mile ride. I am sure you can find a day where it may be cold but dry enough for a ride.

I got the same white film on my C14 starting for people visiting when it was new in the unheated garage. (purchased DEC 08)  Then I noticed the same white/grey crap in my 900's window.  I won't start a bike unless I can ride it at least 15 miles. Mental health or not. Not so important with warmer temps. I can't wait till spring! Tim
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline SilverConnieRider

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11953
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 05:16:01 pm »
I agree with NOT staring a motor for only a few minutes, especially if it's cold outside.

I stored my bikes in a trailer or unheated shed when I was in MI, and never started them until I rode them in the Spring.

If it makes you feel any better Tom, I'm in FL now and there have been plenty of days that have been too cold to ride.
This is one of the coldest Winters they have had in a long long time here in FL.
OK I have rode much much more then when I was in MI for the Winter months - like I was last year.
So I feel your pain of not riding, the thing is, I'm not riding today either as we are in yet another cold snap. But I rode yesterday.  ;D
Lucky for us THIS one (cold snap) should only last a few days not like the last few that lasted for weeks at a time.

Below is a picture of my bike and Steve J's bike when we went for a ride.  So come to FL as it IS way better than MI even with this
colder than usually Winter they are having here.  I know this because I track the Grand Rapids weather too and your forecast to
be at or below freezing for 8 out of the next 10 for daytime highs.  So FL is better - Trust Me.  :D

When you come down here you can run your bike all you want and if you do it soon, the weather is supposed to warm up to
normal temps which have been eluding us for most of the month of January 2018.  So it should be great riding weather soon again.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 08:59:08 pm »
  Hi Karl!!  I see you are in Fla. you lucky dog!! I won't be riding for another month or two.
  While you're in FLA. stop and see Sisf. He probably has something for your C14 That you just GOTTA have.  :) :)
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 09:25:50 pm »
  Hi Karl!!  I see you are in Fla. you lucky dog!! I won't be riding for another month or two.
  While you're in FLA. stop and see Sisf. He probably has something for your C14 That you just GOTTA have.  :) :)

Already did.   ;D ;D ;D

Got Flashed too.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 05:15:03 am »
And Karl met and rode with another Flowriduh Steve.  :motonoises: :motonoises:

Speaking of, Karl, there is an RTE coming up on Saturday iff'n yer interested. Thread under SE events. Meet at casa SteveJ if you want.

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 08:35:00 pm »
And Karl met and rode with another Flowriduh Steve.  :motonoises: :motonoises:

Speaking of, Karl, there is an RTE coming up on Saturday iff'n yer interested. Thread under SE events. Meet at casa SteveJ if you want.

And I had a great time riding with SJ too - showed me some curvy roads that I didn't know about - but now I do.   :great: :great:

I wish I would have known about the RTE earlier as I already have plans.

I see nothing is on the March calendar - if something gets added send me a PM and I'll try to make that one.
If nothing gets planned and you want to ride again I'm game for it - just give me a little notice and I can probably make it happen.  :motonoises: :great: :motonoises:

Hey Tom - Since this is still January if your riding in February maybe I would have to come back home.  :-\  BUT I DOUBT THAT.  :D
But I think you'll be lucky if you get to ride in March as it was a 50/50 chance when I was there.  OH well I'll be back sometime
in April - unless there is still SNOW in MI at that time.  :-[   I remember May was colder than April last year in MI so it's hard to tell
what will happen.  All I know is I hope to be where it's warm enough to ride 95% of the time as I bought a MH just for that purpose.  :nananana:

Now sit on your C10 if it will make you happy - But DON"T start it.   :'(  Then  :beerchug:

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 01:49:46 pm »
There is an RTE being put together during Bike Week on the 17th.

http://forum.cog-online.org/southeast-events/daytona-bikeweek-march-9th-18th-2018-(fl)/new/#new

I see nothing is on the March calendar - if something gets added send me a PM and I'll try to make that one.
If nothing gets planned and you want to ride again I'm game for it - just give me a little notice and I can probably make it happen.  :motonoises: :great: :motonoises: