Author Topic: My Pre-Trip Prepping Thread (WI to AK)  (Read 619 times)

Offline MarksA-C

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11798
  • Membership Level: Active
My Pre-Trip Prepping Thread (WI to AK)
« on: January 14, 2018, 06:26:49 am »
Well look who came crawling back?? The reoccurring goofball who never finishes a project!  ::)

I was going to do a ZRX swap into my 2000 Concours, but cancelled after 2 years of no progression and after my fiancee threw our relationship away I had to make the choices on what to bring along and what to sell off.  So here I am now, its Winter outside and the Red Baron (New name for the bike) is in my neighbors garage for its hibernation.  The bike needs some love, I'll be asking questions and posting my work in this thread rather than making multiple. 

The to-do list is huge and it'll be one heck of a challenge to get it all done. I need to do a tune up, carb rebuild, adjust the valves, swap the front end (Have a zrx front end ready), new tires mounted, wheel bearings, etc. Some cosmetic stuff but mostly adding more lights and tie downs for my duffel bag and a better seat. Probably go through the wiring and get a replacement stator on standby.  New battery and other bits just to be safe as well.

I need to get a passport and figure out cell phone service for Canada.  I'd like to find a nice camera for the trip, maybe another GoPro as well.  Finally get a bluetooth helmet as well for music and audio recording and a cheap laptop for uploading videos on the go would be cool but not needed to also do daily updates.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 07:45:24 pm by MarksA-C »
"Don't thank me for my service.  Just be an American worth fighting and dying for."
Christopher "Sarge" Surdyk 3/28/1979 - 10/9/2015

Offline kkja13

• Bicycle
  • Tyler, TX
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: My Pre-Trip Prepping Thread (WI to AK)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 08:53:45 pm »
Will you be making a ride report?  I would love to read about your daily adventures.  I'm hooked on reading ride reports on the adventure rider forum, so it would be nice to keep up with a Connie on an adventure.

http://advrider.com/index.php?forums/ride-reports-epic-rides.99/
2004 C10
2003 Suzuki SV650s
2000 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 (75mpg!)
1993 Suzuki DR350; 1984 Honda XR200R (RFVC); 1985 Yamaha PW80; 1975 Yamaha DT175;
1974 Honda ST90; 1973 Honda Z50 (first bike, still runs)

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 02:26:35 pm »
Here is a link to a person who did the Al Can in a van recently and mentions the cell phone coverage. Also some highlights as far as recommended must sees on the way, State Trooper encounter (Mounties?).

https://www.gettingstamped.com/driving-to-alaska/

No weapons allowed in Canada including pepper spray but bear repellant spray maybe allowed in Canada.

Longest stretch without a gas station, 200 miles.

Been to Alaska twice but flew in and drove a car around the state to see the sights.

Good luck on planning and making the trip.

97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanie Rear

Offline Sport Rider

• Two wheel addict!
  • I Need a Life
  • 100,000 or Bust!
    • BikePics Site
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 02:38:51 pm »
your project and ride would make a nice article for the concourier.  keep pics and notes of what you do and write it up to share with everyone.

as for your list, it's not really that long, nor that difficult.  are you going to do carbs, or just send them off to Steve?  Where in AK are you headed to?  Consider replacing the rear wheel with a meanstreak rim so that you can use 17s on the front and rear.  that should give you a lot of flexibility on tires.  I'd suggest going the direction of adventure tour tires to better handle dirt and gravel which you might run into.
North Carolina AAD
COG, VROC, VBA, IBA, USCA and other TLAs
05 C10, 94 C10, 06 Nomad, 15 CB
https://www.bikepics.com/members/ncdave/

Offline Swampcat

• Officer
  • Road Bike
  • Editor of The Concourier
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12154
  • Membership Level: Concourier Managing Editor
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 03:33:05 pm »
your project and ride would make a nice article for the concourier.  keep pics and notes of what you do and write it up to share with everyone.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

The winter issue of the Concourier is getting ready to go to print right now (you should see it in early February). I'm looking for feature articles for the spring issue or future issues. This would make a good feature.
--Ed
2004 C10 ("Shoodaben")
1991 Vulcan 500 ("Lorath")

Send articles/pictures for The Concourier to editor@cog-online.org

Offline MizzouMike

• Crotch Rocket
  • "I'm like a rain magnet"
  • COG#: 8862
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 05:54:29 pm »
I am looking forward to following along too!.

As for Canada, I have Verizon, and they have some options.  It cost me $5/day extra, but I was only there for 4 days.  They walked me through what was needed, and I recall that they had some 'monthly' type options as well. 

2000 Concours - "Red Foxx -2"
2001 KLR-650 - "Clara Bell"
2013 HD Ultra Classic "Queen B"
AMA, COG, IBA

Offline MarksA-C

• Training Wheels
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 09:12:48 pm »
Being only 26 it is quite an undertaking to get this all done.  If all goes well I'd love to throw on a mean streak rear, but budget may have something else in mind.  I would be pretty content even taking the whole trip on factory front and rear with Dunlops. 

My rough plan so far is in early/mid July to go out west toward Sweet Grass Montana for the border crossing. I'll be taking the Alaskan Highway, Along the Rocky Mountains and the Alcan Highway. Dozens of little things to see along the way up. Once into Alaska I'll be going towards Denali and following Highway 1 to the "end of the road" near Homer at the Kachemak Bay. Spend a little bit in Anchorage, maybe take the bike to the Kawasaki dealer for a oil change and checkup, then head north towards Fairbanks. Go north up 11 to Coldfoot and spend a night above the Arctic Circle or at least make it to the arctic circle for the usual selfie in front of the sign. I was thinking about going all the way up to Prudhoe Bay but that is something I'll need to think about since its another 280 miles each way miles on the trip, no gas stations or assistance in between. Maybe a future trip when I won't be Solo. Final planned stop in AK will be in Tok to visit a tractor buddy of mine.

Rest of the way back is probably going to be highway riding and tourist traps.  I have to be back in Mid August for the Symco Hotrod and Custom Weekender in north/central WI.  Haven't missed that show in years and Im thinking about timing it right to show up there on my bike.  My friend will be bringing up my minibike for me for the drag races.

Being in the magazine would be pretty dang cool  :motonoises:

"Don't thank me for my service.  Just be an American worth fighting and dying for."

Offline MarksA-C

• Training Wheels
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 07:29:43 pm »
For the time being the stock forks will remain on the bike.  I have the seals and some better springs ready for it while I still need to get the stuff for the ZRX forks. 
I got the new brake pads, wheel bearings, stem bearings, and the new rear tire in the mail.  My cart on Murphskits keeps getting larger  :(

Winter is still here in WI even with this warm weather spurt it will be cold and snowy soon enough.  Pretty much getting everything ready while the bike is being stored in my neighbors garage.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 01:36:40 am »
  You might be interested  in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T578lzlENSY
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Online Jerry_Layman_NE

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 1374
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 10:50:44 am »
  You might be interested  in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T578lzlENSY

Cool movie, for as far as I could watch. Got thru the first part and half way thru the second. It's a long trip, but the movie doesn't have to be that long.  ;D

I remember that it rained on us every single day. I had my heated grips on high all day every day in an attempt to keep my gloves from staying wet, but all that did was melt the glue on the hand grips so I could not turn the throttle. (Kept sliding on me) And like the dude in the above movie, cable ties to the rescue. I put three or four on my throttle grip and cinched them down as tight as I could and I was back on the road. Also, I don't know how that guy was able to publish that movie with that music. I tried to publish a movie I created and YouTube would not publish it without stripping the music track off because "copyright" infringement.  :(  So I wrote my own soundtrack and published it. So there, YouTube! Here it is -->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vshRilUsyZw&t=1s
  We tried to camp, but the mosquitos were so bad on the first attempt, we quickly changed our strategy. I told the other guys, I don't care how much a hotel room is, I'm not doing this again! And we didn't. We got as far north as Fairbanks because we were at a bike shop having the Beemer worked on when we ran into a couple dudes on KLRs who just got back from Dead Horse. They basically talked us out of making the attempt. They said they barely made it back from there on their dual-sports. The dude with the Beemer was done anyway. He ended up flying his bike back from Fairbanks because they could not fix it there and recommended he take it to a BMW dealer.   :o 

So, am I glad I went? Sure. One item checked off the bucket list. Would I ever do it again? No F-n way! Between the rain, the crappy pot-holed roads, the mosquitoes and bears I feel lucky I made it home in one piece!  Oh, at one point we found ourselves on a road that had just had a fresh layer of rock applied on it. About a foot deep of golf ball sized rocks. For about eighty miles! And any speed under 40 MPH was impossible to maintain balance because your front tire would sink into the rock. And the dust? OMG! The dust was awful! We stopped for a couple dudes on Harley trikes on the side of the road. A rock had jumped up on the drive belt and got wedged between it and the rear sprocket (pulley?) and snapped the belt. They already had a tow truck coming so we continued on. They caught up with us in the next town where were staying at a motel. Had dinner with them. Nice guys. They said a new belt was being flown up from somewhere, so they'd be there for a few days.  I hope they ordered a few extra belts. That road was truly awful!

Anyway, enjoy your trip and let us know how it went. In the meantime, have a look at both videos. Mine is way shorter and less boring!   :beerchug: I may be biased tho...
Jerry Layman  COG 1374 
Fremont Nebraska

Offline MarksA-C

• Training Wheels
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 03:08:42 am »
I got myself prepared for the rain, the camping and mosquitoes is something I've heard a lot.  A tractor show I was camping at last year had some of the worst I've ever experienced, a literal cloud of them around ya.  Found a few tricks and some small repellent devices that MIGHT make it livable.  My biggest fear is bears...

The snowy season here is hopefully coming to an end soon so I'll be phasing tractors out of my garage and get the bike work started.